What should I focus on for being competitive for PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about my background...

I am currently a 2nd year MD student. I majored in Exercise Science in undergrad because of my interest in MSK, especially sports medicine. I worked as a therapy aide in an inpatient setting with PTs, OTs, and occasionally SLPs for a year prior to medical school. I really enjoyed the diversity of the staff and how happy and laid back everyone was. Prior to discovering PM&R I was interested in ortho. But I realized that I enjoy the idea of PM&R more, considering I never cared for being a surgeon (there was no other surgical speciality I even remotely considered), and my only interest in ortho was due to MSK. I quickly jumped off the ortho bandwagon once discovering this hidden gem of a field.

So my questions are...

1) Does my background and personality help my chances?

2) What should I work on now to increase the likelihood of making it in this field?

Members don't see this ad.

A little about my background...

I am currently a 2nd year MD student. I majored in Exercise Science in undergrad because of my interest in MSK, especially sports medicine. I worked as a therapy aide in an inpatient setting with PTs, OTs, and occasionally SLPs for a year prior to medical school. I really enjoyed the diversity of the staff and how happy and laid back everyone was. Prior to discovering PM&R I was interested in ortho. But I realized that I enjoy the idea of PM&R more, considering I never cared for being a surgeon (there was no other surgical speciality I even remotely considered), and my only interest in ortho was due to MSK. I quickly jumped off the ortho bandwagon once discovering this hidden gem of a field.

So my questions are...

1) Does my background and personality help my chances?

2) What should I work on now to increase the likelihood of making it in this field?

PM&R has become more competitive, but not astronomically so - I think your background is helpful sure. Do well on the steps, do well on your PM&R rotations, know about PM&R when you interview, get good letters, and apply early. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You mind find this great post by j4pac to be really helpful. I use it as a bit of a guide to how I'm trying to go the next 4 years.

r-advice-to-applicants.1114792/

Generally with PM&R, from my understanding (attendings and residents correct me if I'm wrong), is a "fit" specialty more than anything. It's all about showing interest and being involved with the specialty. That may be research, shadowing (making connections), going to conferences (more connections), and generally just getting exposure to the field. I think there were too many years of ortho rejects coming to this field and not giving it the respect for what it is which is not just non-op ortho.

Audition rotations will be big come 4th year.

And then it's what you need to be competitive for everything else. Kill your boards and rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been interviewing medical students for some years now, and the credentials just keep getting better. A lot of applicants have high USMLEs, demonstrated commitment, and some research (not necessarily in PM&R).

Reactions: 1 users
I have been interviewing medical students for some years now, and the credentials just keep getting better. A lot of applicants have high USMLEs, demonstrated commitment, and some research (not necessarily in PM&R).

I've picked up on this trend looking across the credentials of the students in different PMR programs by year, and the trend intimidates me. I've been hoping for PM&R for a while now. What do you think is causing this increase in competition? How much of it is related to the general increase in all USMLE scores; rather than a trend specific to PM&R?

I'm on set to apply for matching in 2 years, how much more difficult do you foresee it being?

I've toyed with the idea of taking a year off medical school for a certain prestigious international research opportunity, would you say that pushing my application cycle back a year would result in a dramatically more competitive applicant pool?

Last edited:
I've picked up on this trend looking across the credentials of the students in different PMR programs by year, and the trend intimidates me. I've been hoping for PM&R for a while now. What do you think is causing this increase in competition? How much of it is related to the general increase in all USMLE scores; rather than a trend specific to PM&R?

I'm on set to apply for matching in 2 years, how much more difficult do you foresee it being?

I've toyed with the idea of taking a year off medical school for a certain prestigious international research opportunity, would you say that pushing my application cycle back a year would result in a dramatically more competitive applicant pool?

To the question about competitiveness, I think it’s because more med students are noticing PM&R and realizing that it has many attractive qualities, both during and after residency. So people with impressive credentials are now intentionally choosing to become physiatrists and not just matching into PM&R as a last resort. It's still under the radar for many, but more and more people are aware of us and see the appeal. Some people, no matter how 'competitive' their credentials will never give PM&R a look, for one reason or another, but for those with an open mind and a solid record of achievement, PM&R is a viable option. It won't ever be neurosurgery level competitive, but one has to more than just a warm body to get a spot in 2020, IMO.

Before thinking about taking time off and delaying your graduation from med school, I would focus on getting the basics down. Do well in your classes, give your best effort to your clinical rotations, study for board exams and try to perform well (especially on 2CK now), and selectively involve yourself in things you care about. Do a PM&R rotation or two. Hit those bases and probably no need to take a year off or do anything special, unless you have a large gap or red flag somewhere in your application that needs to be overcome.

I don't think there is any real data to say that PM&R is getting more competitive compared to other fields. There has just been a consistent creep in all fields.

no need to take a year off or do anything special, unless you have a large gap or red flag somewhere in your application that needs to be overcome.

I think you misunderstood. I have a personal desire to take that year off for the program. My only concern is that it may set me one year further and I would be placed with a progressively more competitive applicant pool. In the year off I would not be producing any publications, but pursuing a personal interest of mine that is academic but would not be fruitful in terms of resume building (cannot be too specific). It /would/ be funded by a prestigious grant, ie a well known big name organization in academia

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood. I have a personal desire to take that year off for the program. My only concern is that it may set me one year further and I would be placed with a progressively more competitive applicant pool. In the year off I would not be producing any publications, but pursuing a personal interest of mine that is academic but would not be fruitful in terms of resume building (cannot be too specific). It /would/ be funded by a prestigious grant, ie a well known big name organization in academia

Thanks for the clarification. I did misunderstand. If this is something you genuinely want to do, and you're OK extending your time as a student by a year, then go for it. Yes PM&R might be getting more competitive, but let's also be realistic - it's not Derm. Scholarly activity is still minimal compared to other fields by a lot. People aren't expecting you to have a Nature paper to get a spot in residency. Most people have no substantial scholarly output and they do well. I think an enriching, structured and funded experience like describe would only help you, both as an applicant but also as a person (since it sounds like you really want this experience). Major downside is the opportunity cost (basically $200K+ of future attending earnings). But the experience might be worth more than that. I did a PhD. That cost at least $1 mill opportunity cost, but I had a blast and it was worth it. But definitely consider that, especially if you have loans. The one caveat is, I would do this year while you're still enrolled in medical school, not after graduation. Time between graduation and residency is more a problem for people.