What should I focus on in my senior year and potentially plan to take a 2nd gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctlrj123

Reaction score
Hello:
I am currently an incoming senior in university and was planning to apply to medical school after I graduate (1 gap year) but now I am not sure if I should plan to take a second just in case. What should I focus on senior year if I don't want to put off applying another year? I am a CA resident and hope to stay here so is there anything I can do to maximize my chances in my last year? (I have not taken the MCAT so I understand that this can be difficult to determine without a score)

My GPA is a 3.85 and I currently have 450 clinical hours, about 200 volunteering in the geriatric floor at the hospital as a companion with more to come after Crisis Text Line for a year and a half and am hoping to volunteer at a free clinic this upcoming school year. I will have probably 750 research hours by the time I apply, 550 nonclinical employment and 400 doing scientific journalism where i write original research papers.

I hope to work in primary care, hopefully in geriatrics and would love to stay in CA. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In-person service orientation activities that build on your responsibilities with Crisis Counseling will help you. The more the setting is non-clinical, the better. Specifically: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. If you want geriatrics, find more work with veterans, elderly assisted living, or hospice.

Reactions: 1 user
In-person service orientation activities that build on your responsibilities with Crisis Counseling will help you. The more the setting is non-clinical, the better. Specifically: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. If you want geriatrics, find more work with veterans, elderly assisted living, or hospice.
Ok thanks! I volunteer as a companion like keeping patients company at the geriatric ward of the hospital and my clinical job is in home caregiving for people with dementia so I will definitely look for stuff outside the hospital/patient care setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks! I volunteer as a companion like keeping patients company at the geriatric ward of the hospital and my clinical job is in home caregiving for people with dementia so I will definitely look for stuff outside the hospital/patient care setting.
Ask your supervisors about frequently used social services that they refer patients to use. Then see what volunteering opportunities exist there. Older folks with mobility challenges still need to get to the grocery store, hair salon/barbers, and other social spaces outside the hospital (for example).

Ask your supervisors about frequently used social services that they refer patients to use. Then see what volunteering opportunities exist there. Older folks with mobility challenges still need to get to the grocery store, hair salon/barbers, and other social spaces outside the hospital (for example).
That's a good idea, thanks! I don't know if you would have insight on this but do you think I will need a second gap year before applying if I am planning on doing the MCAT this September?

That's a good idea, thanks! I don't know if you would have insight on this but do you think I will need a second gap year before applying if I am planning on doing the MCAT this September?
Attack Of The Clones Wisdom GIF by Star Wars

Certainly do your best on the MCAT when you are fully ready. Not having an optimal score could be the reason you need more time. But get the other experiences in for sure.