What should I give my LOR writers to help them out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin984

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Removed]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
justin984 said:
I have a professor who has agreed to write me a LOR. I've done well in his class but we dont know each other extremely well. What can I do to help him write a non-generic letter?

Also, do you think a thank you note is appropriate after he writes the letter?

type up a list of your extracurriculars and honors/awards. Just give him a little more info to work with--if he agreed to write your letter, then there shouldn't be a big problem. I always give them an addressed, stamped envelope as well.

LOR's are not just part of the drill, ie., to find three people who like you well enough to say something nice. Think about it... would anyone have 3 people send in a letter stating they were scum?

These letters are screened and play a major factor on who is considered for an interview and possibly more beyond that. For that reason, they have to say more than you are a great guy or gal. Is this something that you want left to chance?

If someone is willing to write the letter, they obviously want to help you, but perhaps they don't know what the letter needs to state. It is diplomatic to tell them that a successful letter will contain certain elements, then give them a list of those elements that pertain to you. Provide them with positive examples from other letters written on your behalf or examples from another successful applicant.

Lastly, you can bulletize the key points and let them build the letter around it, anything to get it done and submitted. My letters were all done electronically and sent in within 24 hours of me asking them to be done. They were written by people who wanted me to make it, and knew the importance of LOR.

How you handle this delicate matter is something that you must think about because although it is accepable, if handled improperly, can be embarrassing.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSgtLou said:
LOR's are not just part of the drill, ie., to find three people who like you well enough to say something nice. Think about it... would anyone have 3 people send in a letter stating they were scum?

How you handle this delicate matter is something that you must think about because although it is accepable, if handled improperly, can be embarrassing.

I agree with what the MSgt said. Give them a framework to work from, and then let your prof fill in the rest with the stuff he/she wants to include.
I once asked a teacher for a letter of recomendation, and although I was doing fairly well in the class (Chem) and knew the teacher pretty well, the LOR was less than complimentary, didn't have much positive to say and actually served to hurt my application. (I didn't get a chance to read the LOR until after I had submitted it, and been rejected from the program I was trying to get into....)
Hopefully that won't happen, but better to leave as little to chance as possible.

nonlethal said:
I agree with what the MSgt said. Give them a framework to work from, and then let your prof fill in the rest with the stuff he/she wants to include.
I once asked a teacher for a letter of recomendation, and although I was doing fairly well in the class (Chem) and knew the teacher pretty well, the LOR was less than complimentary, didn't have much positive to say and actually served to hurt my application. (I didn't get a chance to read the LOR until after I had submitted it, and been rejected from the program I was trying to get into....)
Hopefully that won't happen, but better to leave as little to chance as possible.

ouch! that bites! anything you saw in hind-sight (professor is a curmudgeon or something) ? i'm just curious...i'll be asking a few people next semester.

Here is something along those lines:

I wholeheartedly endorse Justin's application to become a XXXX. Not only does Justin have the personality to be a XXXX, he also has the moral terpitude and stamina required not only for the intial studies and training, but for the profession itself.

There are many reasons why I have come to this conclusion. While going through this class, I know that Justin was also carrying a full load. However, Justin served as the leader for a study group that benefited some borderline students, students who probably would not have made it through the class is not for his concerned leadership. I know that he may have been able to do better on his own, but once committed to the group, he sacrificed a little for....

Justin's concern for the patients was sincere beyond what would normally be expected for someone who was merely trying to gain volunteer service. In particular, we had a patient with terminal XXXX Even after Justin was through with his duties, he would sit and read to XXXX and hold his/her hand. This simple act of consulation made the death of XXXX bearable for XXXX, the staff, adn the family of XXXX. Often in medicine, the only thing that we can do is hold their hand. No one wants to do that, but sometimes that is all there is and enough...

Justin is concerned with doing things for the right reasons, and the right reasons alone. While serving as a CNA, there was one night when the rest of the staff was going to go to Hooters. Justin said that he was going to go, but something came up at the last minute. These duties probably could have waited till next eon to get done, however, Justin stayed late and did them because he knew that it would benefit the patients. Fortunately, his dedication and attention to detail paid off because....

Naturally, these are all fictitious, but the common thread are SPECIFIC EXAMPLES where your character made a difference and because of this, INTANGIBLES like integrity, honor, dedication, loyalty, etc were given a method of measurement.

Everyone is a great guy/gal. The secret is to have someone say, "Justin is a great guy BECAUSE... Your challange is to get the LOR writer to say this, and think that it is his or her's idea. That, my friend is leadership. And that is why some get in, and others don't.

Hope that helps.

justin984 said:
Thanks for everyones input, it really helps! When you say I should give them some kind of framework, what types of things should I include? I've never written a letter of recommendation so I don't know what things are essential for a good one. Are there any sites where i can read good lors?
Thanks
Just write a letter to someone else, expounding on what a swell person you are, how smart, witty, dependable, hard working, etc. etc... and use lots of adverbs, adjectives, and other descriptive terms.
For example: "justin984 is an extremely intelligent person, whose ability to quickly grasp complex concepts has allowed him to do well in a difficult course. His level of maturity and judgement enabled him to make sound decisions in a timely manner, improving the efficiency of the lab by some incredible percentage, while his sharp, analytical mind was continually focused on obtaining and interpreting the best data available."
So maybe that's a little over the top, but hopefully that might give you an idea. As for other sites, I haven't the foggiest. Google, maybe?

good luck

MSgtLou said:
Here is something along those lines:

I wholeheartedly endorse Justin's application to become a XXXX. Not only does Justin have the personality to be a XXXX, he also has the moral terpitude and stamina required not only for the intial studies and training, but for the profession itself.

There are many reasons why I have come to this conclusion. While going through this class, I know that Justin was also carrying a full load. However, Justin served as the leader for a study group that benefited some borderline students, students who probably would not have made it through the class is not for his concerned leadership. I know that he may have been able to do better on his own, but once committed to the group, he sacrificed a little for....

Justin's concern for the patients was sincere beyond what would normally be expected for someone who was merely trying to gain volunteer service. In particular, we had a patient with terminal XXXX Even after Justin was through with his duties, he would sit and read to XXXX and hold his/her hand. This simple act of consulation made the death of XXXX bearable for XXXX, the staff, adn the family of XXXX. Often in medicine, the only thing that we can do is hold their hand. No one wants to do that, but sometimes that is all there is and enough...

Justin is concerned with doing things for the right reasons, and the right reasons alone. While serving as a CNA, there was one night when the rest of the staff was going to go to Hooters. Justin said that he was going to go, but something came up at the last minute. These duties probably could have waited till next eon to get done, however, Justin stayed late and did them because he knew that it would benefit the patients. Fortunately, his dedication and attention to detail paid off because....

Naturally, these are all fictitious, but the common thread are SPECIFIC EXAMPLES where your character made a difference and because of this, INTANGIBLES like integrity, honor, dedication, loyalty, etc were given a method of measurement.

Everyone is a great guy/gal. The secret is to have someone say, "Justin is a great guy BECAUSE... Your challange is to get the LOR writer to say this, and think that it is his or her's idea. That, my friend is leadership. And that is why some get in, and others don't.

Hope that helps.

yeah--don't give the same thing to every prof or your letters could all look strikingly similar

justin984 said:
I have a professor who has agreed to write me a LOR. I've done well in his class but we dont know each other extremely well. What can I do to help him write a non-generic letter?

I gave each writer a copy of my AMCAS personal statement and activity descriptions. That way they knew almost as much about my history and motives as an adcom will know, in addition to their own perspective on my experience and potential.

dr.z said:
I gave them my CV, statement about what my career goals are, and personal statement.

Hi there,
In addition to the above, give each letter writer, a stamped and addressed envelope where you want your letter sent. Give them a deadline as to when the letter needs to be sent (make this earlier than your actual deadline). Waive the right to review the letter as this makes for a stronger letter. Also, send a list of all medical schools that you are applying to. You never know if they know someone there and they might place a phone call on your behalf.

Make a folder for each letter writer and when you asked for the letter. Follow-up with an e-mail reminder and write down the date that they sent the letter. You also need to send an e-mail or note thanking them for writing the letter and updating them on your progress.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
In addition to the above, give each letter writer, a stamped and addressed envelope where you want your letter sent. Give them a deadline as to when the letter needs to be sent (make this earlier than your actual deadline). Waive the right to review the letter as this makes for a stronger letter. Also, send a list of all medical schools that you are applying to. You never know if they know someone there and they might place a phone call on your behalf.

Make a folder for each letter writer and when you asked for the letter. Follow-up with an e-mail reminder and write down the date that they sent the letter. You also need to send an e-mail or note thanking them for writing the letter and updating them on your progress.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Great advice. I contacted all of the letter writers several months in advance just to see if they'd be willing and available. That e-mail included an outline of my plan and the approximate deadlines. A couple months later I sent an update e-mail and told them I would soon be sending them a packet with instructions, personal statement, activity descriptions, and pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelopes. When I finally got around to sending the packet, the recipients were almost all very prompt about writing the letters. Busy people appreciate a generous lead-time and friendly reminders....

justin984 said:

send him a CV of what you have done so far
a picture of you so he still remembers you
what class you took, what papers you have done for him , what yr grade was, anything to jog his memmory
when you need it by, who to send it to
stamp/envelope if needed
YES send a thank you and:
what you plan on doing (do? md? specialty and why)

this is what pat proffs have asked of me. hope this helps.

while we are on the topic of letters, i have another question. when you guys apply to many schools (10 or more) and give the writer a list of schools/addresses/envelopes do you expect them to just write a generic, Dear Committee members without a recipient address in the letterhead or should every letter have the name/address of the receiving school on it. Obviously if they put the address and everything on the letter it may look better, but people are busy so can you really expect them to do that for many letters. I'll try to illustrate what I mean.

Admissions Committee
Supergreat University
101 Main Street
Supergreat City, DC 11111

Dear Committee Members:
===============================================
or
10/31/05

Admissions Committee

Dear Committee Members:

CIA said:
while we are on the topic of letters, i have another question. when you guys apply to many schools (10 or more) and give the writer a list of schools/addresses/envelopes do you expect them to just write a generic, Dear Committee members without a recipient address in the letterhead or should every letter have the name/address of the receiving school on it. Obviously if they put the address and everything on the letter it may look better, but people are busy so can you really expect them to do that for many letters. I'll try to illustrate what I mean.

Admissions Committee
Supergreat University
101 Main Street
Supergreat City, DC 11111

Dear Committee Members:
or
10/31/05

Admissions Committee

Dear Committee Members:

I gave them pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelopes, but assumed they would use their own letterhead and decide what conventions to follow.

You should offer to write a draft of the letter for your professor.

justin984 said:

When I was an applicant I supplied the following...by the way, now as an LOR author, I require that all of this be submitted to me.

1. Letter of Intent
2. CV/resume
3. Copy of PS
4. Pre-addressed, stamped envelopes for where ever I need to send
5. A set of instructions that precisely tell me how many, to whom I address the LOR(s) & what the deadlines are

A nice touch is to package all of this in a large manila envelope - makes it easier for the recipient to keep track of the contents. Taking these few extra steps demonstrates that you, as an applicant, are serious & professional. Some will undoubtably argue that my strategy is excessive...oh well, to each his/her own.

OldManDave said:
A nice touch is to package all of this in a large manila envelope - makes it easier for the recipient to keep track of the contents. Taking these few extra steps demonstrates that you, as an applicant, are serious & professional. Some will undoubtably argue that my strategy is excessive...oh well, to each his/her own.
:thumbup:
I agree with Dave. As a matter of fact, I sent all of my letter writers a package much like Dave described. It makes their letter writing task easier, and as a result, your life easier too.

I made sure that I thanked my LOR authors profusely too, as it is only good manners to do so. After all, they are helping you toward your dream.

racerx

For several of my classes, shortly after I completed the class I visited the professor to discuss my performance in the class, and to ask them if they would be interested or willing to write a letter. I informed them that I would be applying sometime in the next year or so, and I kept in touch 1 or 2 times a semester in the interim until I needed to collect my letters. I revisited my professors, checking to see if they were still enthusiastic about me, and gave each a packet containing the following:
1) the instruction letter for the LOR form & the LOR form itself
2) my CV/resume
3) my AMCAS application (or a transcript, in one case)
4) my letter of intent/personal statement
5) a letter from me to the professor, explaining my plans & anything they needed to know about me that wasn't in the application or my CV, etc. THis letter also provided contact information for me, and served to remind them of due dates.
6) a stamped, addressed envelope

You want to make it as easy as possible for your letter writers to do this favor for you. Also, being professional and organized about how you request the letters will leave them with a better taste in their mouth as they compose your letter.
After the LORs were in, I sent thank you notes to each professor. Months later, I also followed up with a final thank you and goodbye once I received my acceptance letters! (a few years ago one of my professors confided in me that none of the students she had written med school letters for had ever emailed her or called her to let her know either a) that they got in or not or b) that they were grateful! I thought this was both sad and terribly rude).
Thank you notes are not cheezy or [email protected] are courteous and always appreciated.

Here is some LOR advice that helped me:
(some of this actually came from my professors)
If you are still a while away from your application cycle, I reccommend taking the time to get to know a number of professors, and then following through on your relationships with them. Writing letters is a part of a faculty member's job description (though they don't *owe* you a letter), and *most* of them enjoy helping good students go places in life. Many students are afraid that they are sucking up if they try to get to know faculty while hoping they can get a letter out of it. This is not really what is going on (most of the time). Remember that good teachers like students, and that they know that part of their relationship with students is very much involved with letters, letter writing, nominating & lobbying for students. It is a natural part of the professor-student relationship, and not an artifice, so don't feel awkward putting effort into meeting your professors.
Do be willing to indicate deadlines & to remind professors if they are absent-minded about this.
Do have a backup in mind.
Do understand that your professors do not appreciate last minute LOR requests, unless the situations REALLY are extenuating. (running late does not count).
Do not pick a professor who does not know you well over one who does know you well, even if you got an A from the first and a B from the latter.
Have more than 3 professors in mind. When I applied to Grad school, one of my LOR profs went on sabattical with no prior notice (and he was completely out of pocket)! This nearly derailed my application, especially since I had procrastinated a bit. When I applied to med school, I had backups ready in mind, and had cultivated relationships with more than 3 professors.

An aside:
I suspect that Non-trads have both advantages and disadvantages when it comes to letters: many non-trads don't have the ease-of-access to professors, office hours, and lab experiences that traditional students have; however, non-trads are usually more mature & may have more confidence and experience that makes faculty-student interactions both more rich and more comfortable. I was a non-trad applicant, and I felt that I had an easier time bonding with my professors than some of the younger kids had. In a couple of cases I know for a fact that my age (and the experience that comes with age) made things easier between me and my prof.

Good luck selecting your letter-writers!