What should I give my teacher who is going to write me a letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to have one of my professors write me a letter of recommendation, but what are the things I should include about myself?

I currently have my GPAs, degrees I’ve earned, pharmacy technician license, schools I’ve went to, and I’m probably going to add things about my personality and stuff. Other than that, I’m not sure what to add. I don’t really do much extra curricular activities, and I really don’t have any experience as of right now. Next semester I plan on getting a job as a pharmacy tech.

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m going to have one of my professors write me a letter of recommendation, but what are the things I should include about myself?

I currently have my GPAs, degrees I’ve earned, pharmacy technician license, schools I’ve went to, and I’m probably going to add things about my personality and stuff. Other than that, I’m not sure what to add. I don’t really do much extra curricular activities, and I really don’t have any experience as of right now. Next semester I plan on getting a job as a pharmacy tech.

Hi @Ash2021 professors will sometimes ask for your personal statement and/or resume (or CV) because that gives them an idea of (1) what you're highlighting about yourself in your personal statement; and (2) a pretty comprehensive view of your academic history.

If there is something in particular you would like your letter writer to focus on your LoR, don't be afraid to ask! For example, you might have one reference discussing your pharmacy experience, another discussing your academic performance in his or her class, and perhaps another commenting on your character. Of course, should you choose to go this route, phrase it as a request or recommendation rather than a demand, and focus generally on the area you wish them to speak on behalf of (e.g., It would be helpful if you could comment on my character, or my academic performance...) rather than telling them what to say about it (e.g., Can you write about how smart I am, or how I was the best student you've ever had?).

Probably the most helpful thing you can do is make it crystal clear what they need to do. Consider typing up a list of instructions: 1. Log in at X portal. 2. Use X as your credentials. 3. Submit letter by this deadline. Ask your letter writer in advance if they are able to submit the LoR by a certain date so that you're both on the same page, and try to give your reference at least 2-3 weeks to write your letter (you'll avoid a lot of stress this way!). Don't be afraid to gently remind them as this deadline approaches. Also make it very clear what you are applying for and any other information they'll need to write and submit your letter.

To keep all this organized, you can attach these documents in an email or even hand these to your letter writer in person in a folder or manila envelope, depending on your/their preference. Essentially your job is to make writing an AMAZING letter about you as easy as possible for them. :)

Reactions: 1 user