What should I major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skibuff

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman in college and I am planning to get into medicine. Next year i will have to pick a major and i am not sure what major to pick. Right now I am considering Economics. Does anyone think the workload would be to large with economics and the pre-med requirments? The stats show that Economics majors have a very high acceptance rate into medical school. I am also considering a Biology major. Does anyone have any good insight/advice for me?? What are you majoring in?

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything your heart desires!!

Just make sure you fulfill the pre-reqs for medical school (1yr general bio, 1yr general chem, 1yr org chem, & 1yr physics) before taking the MCAT or before applying to medical school.

The beauty of majoring in a science degree (ie biology) is that its already incorporated into the degree. If you plan to major in economics, then you will have to fulfill the requirements for that degree as well as pre-medical requirements...sounds like quite a load. Then again, many have chosen the non-science major route & have been successful in medical school. Go with what YOU want to do! Good luck!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

Those acceptance rates for the different majors are skewed because of the large sample size for something like Biology, and the relatively tiny sample size for Economics.

Do something useful and major in Mathematics. You won't ever regret the rigorous training you get as a mathematician, and you get to hang out with the COOLEST people on campus!
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.
(BA in Mathematics)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tim's brain is definitly fried!

You can get in with any major, personally from what I have seen those who get a good background in the sciences (physiology, bichem, anatomy especially) tend to have a little bit of an easier time with those courses in med school. I had a strong physiology background and it has helped a lot. I've heard engineering majors do well as far as acceptance goes, but, as Tim said (even though his brain is fried) those stats may be skewed.

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 02-29-2000).]

I also agree with others who say, major in whatever you want, whatever it is you enjoy -- as long as you are also able to fulfill pre-med requirements. Plus, you should also think about what you would do if you didn't get into medical school.
frown.gif
Sorry to be pessimistic but not everyone who wants to be a doctor will eventually end up being one. In that case, would you be happy with your undergrad major? Will it enable you to pursue something else you're intereted in, in the event that you aren't accepted to medical school?

Some things to ponder as you think of majors.

I agree with Tim. Math people are cool. Closely followed by the physics crowd.

But don't do it if it's not your thing. Major in what you like, get good grades, and stop freaking out, already! You're a *freshman*, fer crissake! Have a beer. Get laid. Learn about Berkeley's theories on the nature of reality; discuss the collapse of quantum mechanical wavefunctions. Come back to this board in 3 years.

Right on my mathematically-inclined brudda! I must say, however, that mathematicians are higher than physicists simply because you guys only apply our theories. We're the ones who develop them.
smile.gif
Then again, my focus in college wasn't pure math. I was an applied math geek (i.e., wannabe physicist).
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.

Ahhhh!! Have a beer and get laid. Wonderful memories! I couldn't have put it better myself tr.

ahhhhhh-what good advice.......