What should I prioritize to be a better candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habitualgreatness

#BlackDoctorsMatter
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I am needing some guidance. I am a sophomore and I recently got serious about pursuing medicine and will be transferring to my state school to major in bio this fall.

Anywho, I have no medical experience... I will be doing SHPEP this summer (Formerly SMDEP). I need help deciding what I should do next to help me become the most competitive candidate!

I was thinking of becoming a CNA at a major hospital so none of the wiping butts stuff. Or possibly look into being an ER Scribe?

Do you think I should focus on securing a research position? It doesn't really interest me, but I also have no experience and could love it.

I have a lot of volunteer experience around youth, but nothing medical related.

I also have connections to four MD's in different specialties willing to allow me to shadow them over this upcoming school year.

Thoughts? What should be the priority?

Also, my gpa is good.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

:eyebrow:

You let me know how that works out for you.

Lol! There are a few different CNA positions at the hospital and my friend who is a CNA there told me which departments and job codes are her position (no butts). I hope she's not wrong.

Would you say that's a good route to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol! There are a few different CNA positions at the hospital and my friend who is a CNA there told me which departments and job codes are her position (no butts). I hope she's not wrong.

Would you say that's a good route to go?

I think it's a horrible idea. First of all, you're not going to find a CNA job that doesn't involve "wiping butts". Second of all, you seem to be trying to go into this job thinking you're above the basic, routine tasks required by the job. That's a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 2 users
Def go for scribe > CNA

And shadow, and volunteer at the major hospital system you mention.

Research is only expected by the top handful of research powerhouses (roughly top ~20)

I think it's a horrible idea. First of all, you're not going to find a CNA job that doesn't involve "wiping butts". Second of all, you seem to be trying to go into this job thinking you're above the basic, routine tasks required by the job. That's a recipe for disaster.

By all mean I'm not "above" the duties of the job, I have way more respect than that. I understand what the requirements of the job are, but who likes wiping butts?!?! I said that to differentiate the experience I'd be getting (or would prefer). Working at a major hospital vs at an elderly care center. If the position ends up requiring me to wipe asses all day then looks like I'd be stuck doing that, but that's what I want to avoid.

Def go for scribe > CNA

And shadow, and volunteer at the major hospital system you mention.

Research is only expected by the top handful of research powerhouses (roughly top ~20)

Thank you for the advice! I thought research was required by all applicants.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice! I thought research as required by all applicants.

It is very commonly listed on AMCAS, though for many people it just means a semester or two of research-for-credits, nothing major, and in a survey of admissions conducted by AAMC it was found that research experience was low importance to public schools and only moderate to private schools.

At the very top this changes, much more extensive research becomes the norm and they often have mandatory scholarly projects for their med students.

It is very commonly listed on AMCAS, though for many people it just means a semester or two of research-for-credits, nothing major, and in a survey of admissions conducted by AAMC it was found that research experience was low importance to public schools and only moderate to private schools.

At the very top this changes, much more extensive research becomes the norm and they often have mandatory scholarly projects for their med students.

Thank you for that link! It is full of a ton of valuable information!!