What should I take for my last biology class prior to matriculation?

anniekat2025

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2018
I have just been accepted to an MD program (crazy to type that out!!!! it's HAPPENING) but I need to take one more "advanced biology" course prior to matriculation. It must be 2000 level or higher but otherwise any biology course will do.

I'm trying to choose between anatomy, genetics, and microbiology. Looking for input from current students as to which of these would be most/least useful. Anatomy seems useful to me, but genetics sounds most interesting. No clue what taking a microbiology class would entail.

I'm a nontrad, so I'm going to be taking this class while working full time. My undergraduate degree is in engineering (graduated 2017) and the only biology classes I've taken are general biology, human biology (basically A&P lite), and zoology.

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

wanderingorion

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Take what is more interesting to you. All your classes for the next 2 years will be chosen for you.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have just been accepted to an MD program (crazy to type that out!!!! it's HAPPENING) but I need to take one more "advanced biology" course prior to matriculation. It must be 2000 level or higher but otherwise any biology course will do.

I'm trying to choose between anatomy, genetics, and microbiology. Looking for input from current students as to which of these would be most/least useful. Anatomy seems useful to me, but genetics sounds most interesting. No clue what taking a microbiology class would entail.

I'm a nontrad, so I'm going to be taking this class while working full time. My undergraduate degree is in engineering (graduated 2017) and the only biology classes I've taken are general biology, human biology (basically A&P lite), and zoology.
Genetics can be really tough, but would give you the biggest leg up in terms of lightening your load in the first year of med school.

Anatomy is a reasonable choice since you'd be stating med school soon after and would still recall the tiny details.

Microbiology is often fun and easy, but your mileage may vary depending on institution. The information you learn may not be useful until the second year of a traditional curriculum, but you'll still recall it.

Other options on par with Genetics in difficulty: Hard core Physiology or Cellular Bio.

JMO.

Reactions: 3 users

anniekat2025

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2018
Genetics can be really tough, but would give you the biggest leg up in terms of lightening your load in the first year of med school.

Anatomy is a reasonable choice since you'd be stating med school soon after and would still recall the tiny details.

Microbiology is often fun and easy, but your mileage may vary depending on institution. The information you learn may not be useful until the second year of a traditional curriculum, but you'll still recall it.

Other options on par with Genetics in difficulty: Hard core Physiology or Cellular Bio.

JMO.
Thank you! I really appreciate your insight; I am leaning towards genetics but it will also depend what is available for me come spring.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads