EPO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Status
I have a meeting tomorrow with the director of the program where I want to do my residency and am presently doing an audition rotation at. I want to make a good impression and make sure I come across as enthusiastic but not desparate. Any suggestions on what to say or what not to say? Is there anything I should bring up at the meeting?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
EPO said:
I have a meeting tomorrow with the director of the program where I want to do my residency and am presently doing an audition rotation at. I want to make a good impression and make sure I come across as enthusiastic but not desparate. Any suggestions on what to say or what not to say? Is there anything I should bring up at the meeting?
Who cares about desparacy? This isn't a date...

then again, it sort of is, isn't it? :p

You should tell him/her the things you've enjoyed about the program so far - residents easy to work with, seem to get along well with each other, wide variety of pathology, etc. - whatever you can honestly think of. Tell him/her of your career goals and if you can honestly say so, that you could see yourself being happy as a resident there, that you would work hard, treat patients well and hope that they will review your application for residency with that in mind. Nothing desparate about that is there?

OP
E

EPO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Status
That's good advice, appreciate it. Truthfully, I'm pretty nervous about the meeting because this program is a top tiered one and I come from a lower ranked school. I probably shouldn't ask about my chances of matching at this program, huh? ;)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
EPO said:
That's good advice, appreciate it. Truthfully, I'm pretty nervous about the meeting because this program is a top tiered one and I come from a lower ranked school. I probably shouldn't ask about my chances of matching at this program, huh? ;)
Well, best of luck; I hope it goes well.

While there is nothing wrong with asking about your chances, I wouldn't expect:

1) for the PD to really know at this point - they don't have apps from other people yet, and while they may love you, they may love you less when they see what's out there (see, more dating analogies)

2) a honest answer - its a committee decision and while the PD probably carries some weight, sometimes a more powerful faculty member can push his choice through over you

3) besides, whether you have a chance there or no shouldn't affect your ranking of them. If they are your first choice program, rank them first. You have no way of honestly knowing how they will rank you (REGARDLESS of what they tell you - positive or negative) so give it your best shot and rank them at the top of your ROL.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Kimberli Cox said:
Who cares about desparacy?
"Desparacy?" Must be an Aussie term...we Yanks say "desperation." ;)

The thing that most program directors want to hear is that your goals mesh with theirs. If you feel that the program is exactly what you're looking for, tell him/her why. If there's something that you'll bring to the program that they're interested in, talk about that, too.

Just don't sound too desperaciated. ;)

nacho77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Status
I asked most of the PD's I interviewed with something along the lines of:
What changes to the program are you currently working towards?

and/or if I was feeling especially bold:
What aspects of the program to you wish you could change but for whatever reason can't at this time?

All PD's gave me interesting and helpful answers and a couple totally went off on tangents about things they eventually realized were more than they should be revealing to an applicant (guess I just have a trustworthy look :) )
and the LESS they had to say about the programs problems, the more worried I was about going there ...

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
KentW said:
"Desparacy?" Must be an Aussie term...we Yanks say "desperation." ;)

The thing that most program directors want to hear is that your goals mesh with theirs. If you feel that the program is exactly what you're looking for, tell him/her why. If there's something that you'll bring to the program that they're interested in, talk about that, too.

Just don't sound too desperaciated. ;)
Blimey!

Perhaps desparation would have been a better term but in my newfound state of actually having sleep my brain was a bit addled and I couldn't think of the proper term.

Now I'll get it right the next time - no worries, eh mate?

fiatslug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Kimberli Cox said:
Blimey!

Perhaps desparation would have been a better term but in my newfound state of actually having sleep my brain was a bit addled and I couldn't think of the proper term.

Now I'll get it right the next time - no worries, eh mate?

Addled by sleep instead of the lack of it... it's good to be a fellow! (Fella? is that p.c.?) ;)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
fiatslug said:
Addled by sleep instead of the lack of it... it's good to be a fellow! (Fella? is that p.c.?) ;)
Yes, its a new experience entirely. Took me a few days to stop waking up at my usual 4-430 am!

As for the terminology, I do get some strange looks when I introduce myself as the "fellow", I'm sure half of the patients have no idea what I'm talking about.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Perhaps you should introduce yourself as the "Jolly Good Fellow"...of course then they might think you are a Brit, which would be even worse...

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
sophiejane said:
Perhaps you should introduce yourself as the "Jolly Good Fellow"...of course then they might think you are a Brit, which would be even worse...
Ack...a bloody POM (as Mum would say)?!!

I like the sound of "feller" myself, but not sure it would go over in Joisey. Probably "fella", as in Goodfellas, would be more appropriate here.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Kimberli Cox said:
I like the sound of "feller" myself, but not sure it would go over in Joisey. Probably "fella", as in Goodfellas, would be more appropriate here.
Just be sure to say "Yo," when you introduce yourself. It would be rude not to. ;-)