What should I tell them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nodelphi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to interview with my top choice school. Due to extenuating circumstances their interview cycle was significantly delayed and from what I've heard this is only their second round of interviews.

I've already been accepted to another school so if the situation arises, should I tell my interviewer that I've already been accepted somewhere else? Could this hurt/help my chances of acceptance? Say, for example, they ask me the question, "If you aren't accepted what do you plan to do?" Do I tell them, "Well I've already been accepted elsewhere so I would plan to go there, but I would prefer your school?"

Perhaps I'm stressing over this too much. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Nodelphi said:
I am about to interview with my top choice school. Due to extenuating circumstances their interview cycle was significantly delayed and from what I've heard this is only their second round of interviews.

I've already been accepted to another school so if the situation arises, should I tell my interviewer that I've already been accepted somewhere else? Could this hurt/help my chances of acceptance? Say, for example, they ask me the question, "If you aren't accepted what do you plan to do?" Do I tell them, "Well I've already been accepted elsewhere so I would plan to go there, but I would prefer your school?"

You know, I got asked that at one of my interviews as well, and I didn't want to lie about it, so I told them I'd already been accepted. Oddly enough, I got an email from the admissions office asking about "the nature of my acceptance", since I had been accepted through a non-binding early acceptance program. It was sent the week decisions were supposed to come out, and I didn't really think it was fair for them to take it into consideration. Anyway, I replied with an email that explained my other acceptance and made sure to let them know that I really liked their school and would definitely consider going there if accepted. I was accepted a couple days later. If this school is your top choice, then I would certainly let them know that. It can't hurt in any case. Good luck!

Nodelphi said:

1) Don't count on them asking you that "What if you don't get in" question. I was asked that question on 0/10 interviews.

2) Don't be hesitant about telling them why you love them - but be sure you have real reasons for doing so. If the best you can come up with is something along the lines of, "Well your name would look great stitched onto a new sweatshirt," they won't put much credence in your statement. If you do have unique and legitimate reasons, as I'm sure you do, then they will love to hear about your interests.

You sound sincere online; I can only imagine that you'll sound even moreso in person. Relax, you will be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this really is your top choice but you would go to another school if you weren't accepted here, you should tell them that. I don't think it would hurt.

I think that when you're asked the "what would you do if not accepted into medical school" (and not "what would you do if you don't get in HERE") they are trying to figure out how your mind works. Therefore "I've already been accepted somewhere" isn't really what they're looking for, even if it's true. I'd answer the question as if I wasn't holding another acceptance, and I probably wouldn't bring up the other acceptance unless specifically asked. If you're not comfortable with that you could also say, "if I hadn't been accepted, my plan was to ... but I have been accepted so I will definitely be attending school somewhere next year". At least that way you're still answering the question.