What should i use to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixersfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so i really dont know what i should use to study for the MCAT. I have heard exam krackers is great but is kind of shortened so i may leave out some material. I have heard that kaplan goes too into depth with unnecessary things. I have heard that princeton review is good too. There are just so many options idk what i should buy (not looking to enroll in a course). Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend the following materials as a good base for any study plan:

(1) AAMC Practice Bundle
(2) Khan Academy Videos
(3) Kaplan 7-book Series (or Princeton 7-book series, but I think Kaplan is more concise and an easier read)

For more help deciding on materials, etc., feel free to check out my SDN article on studying for the MCAT on less than $300.

Reactions: 1 user
I looked at Google document of MCAT score compilation/ comments. Noticed these for studying.

The high scorers take it only once. They usually do not post on this forum. But their comments on this google document are priceless.

Practice exam questions much more than content review. But you do need content review before starting practice exam. But bulk of your studying (80%) should be exam practice.

High scorers have one thing in common, they rely on AAMC more than third party materials. They do have third party materials, but all rely on AAMC when cows come home.

They do go over AAMC Q pack questions; even though they rely on Section Bank more than Q packs, they do go over Q pack carefully to do really well. Question by question, by question. Don't rush.

For psych/soc, in addition to Khan note, use Khan video. Use it by not watching it, but by listening to it as an audio pod-cast, listen while you are waiting in line/ driving/ ordering food, etc. Use video as audio.

Use UWorld, especially for psych/sociology; use Khan psych/soc quizlets. They are more palatable than reading that Khan document note.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend the following materials as a good base for any study plan:

(1) AAMC Practice Bundle
(2) Khan Academy Videos
(3) Kaplan 7-book Series (or Princeton 7-book series, but I think Kaplan is more concise and an easier read)

For more help deciding on materials, etc., feel free to check out my SDN article on studying for the MCAT on less than $300.

I got the online material from purchasing Kaplan 7-book Series. Should I only use their FLs instead of their questions and just use the AAMC Practice Bundle?

Reactions: 1 user
I got the online material from purchasing Kaplan 7-book Series. Should I only use their FLs instead of their questions and just use the AAMC Practice Bundle?

I'd keep your focus on content review and then just use their full-lengths. If you have any extra time, though, it wouldn't hurt to do their stand-alone questions, but we want to keep our focus on the AAMC practice questions. AAMC should be the bedrock foundation for your MCAT studying. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users