What should I wear for white coat ceremony?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

temple08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
causual dress? business suit? or business causual like shirt+ skirt?

Members don't see this ad.

...a white coat. ZINGG!
ha just kidding. good question though, i'd like to know the same..aren't you going to TJU next year?

Business casual... they'll prob take a lot of photos. Don't want to look like a slob.

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't this take place in the fall after starting pharmacy school??? why are you getting ready so soon...or is it different for every school??

Sorry, possibly dumb question here but what is a white coat ceremony?

Sorry, possibly dumb question here but what is a white coat ceremony?

I equate it to a graduation of sorts, except this occurs right before the start of pharmacy school (or other health professions as well). Here's a much better explanation from the UCSF website...

"The White Coat Ceremony is a wonderful and meaningful tradition in which the School welcomes 1st-year students as colleagues dedicated to patient care. During this event, pharmacy alumni present entering students with a white coat, the symbol of clinical service and care. The students take, in unison, a pledge of professionalism. Family and friends of the entering class are invited to join us for this special occasion. A reception follows the ceremony."

For guys, you need to wear slacks, dress shirt, and tie.

causual dress? business suit? or business causual like shirt+ skirt?

You need to look professional, but do NOT wear an actual suit because they will be putting the white coat on you in the ceremony (at least they did in mine) and it will be too bulky if they are trying to put it over a suit jacket. I would say the girls were about evenly split between dress pants and skirt or dress.

Wear something that makes you feel like a nice, professional, pharmacy student. This could likely be the last time that you will meet with all of your classmates for a ceremony until graduation.

Enjoy the White Coat ceremony. It makes you feel like you've come a long way and accomplished a lot when you put on that white coat. :)

I still look at my White Coat ceremony invitation that's sitting on my mantle. It's been almost two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most pharmacy schools hold a "White Coat Ceremony"?

Why would they do it before starting pharmacy school? It seems like it would make more sense to do it right before we start practicing.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do they expect us to wear it to class or something? That's the only reason I know of that would be why we got it before starting pharmacy school.

Why would they do it before starting pharmacy school? It seems like it would make more sense to do it right before we start practicing.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do they expect us to wear it to class or something? That's the only reason I know of that would be why we got it before starting pharmacy school.
They want to instill professionalism in everyone, supposedly, and realize your place in the profession. I think it was a load of crap and pretty useless. Just a chance for everyone to stroke their egos. You wear the white coat on rotations, in lab, and other settings where you deal with patients (immunizations, bp/diabetes screenings).

you need the white coat for rotations and lab etc. It's a short coat so it indicates you're a student anyway.

I wouldn't work at a pharmacy with a shirt and tie. I would be fine with some nice jeans and a good polo shirt.

You are a special case though, you are generally known to have your own unique opinion on this forum, not good or bad, just unique. In this society, people still get judged based on what they wear, unfortunately if you want to look like a professional you gotta dress like one. Jeans and bikinis as good as they may look/feel are generally not considered professional wear.;)

Yes, you will wear it to labs and anytime you work as an intern.

when does it usually take place??

I personally think this is really cool. But I'm a sap for stuff like this, like the person with their invitation on their mantle, I'd probably frame mine and put it beside my desk.

haha me too!!

You guys do it before third year? Hmm, LIU does it at the end of 3rd year.

The Class of 2011 just had their white coat ceremony a week ago. The coats the gave out didn't look too great though. I thought lab coats were supposed to go down to your knees, these barely made it to the waist.

The Class of 2011 just had their white coat ceremony a week ago. The coats the gave out didn't look too great though. I thought lab coats were supposed to go down to your knees, these barely made it to the waist.

Usually the school gets a pharmaceutical company or a pharmacy chain to sponsor the purchase of the white coats in exchange for the sponsorship/advertising associated with the ceremony. So it depends on what they buy (or want to pay for in other words). I have seen alot of schools wear the short waist length coats and other schools have longer white coats.

I guess. I kinda find the best lab coats to be the long ones with short sleeves.

I'm kinda messy when pouring liquids from the stock bottles into the orange bottles, so some liquid always ends up on the counter and my other hand, with a long sleeve coat that usually results in a stain that takes many washes to get off.

these are short coats to indicate you are a student on rotations.

when you graduate you can wear a long coat.

I'm kinda messy when pouring liquids from the stock bottles into the orange bottles, so some liquid always ends up on the counter and my other hand, with a long sleeve coat that usually results in a stain that takes many washes to get off.

I don't wear my white coat to wet labs (compounding). I bought an actual lab coat for that, because I knew I would mess up my white coat if I wore it while compounding.

I guess. I kinda find the best lab coats to be the long ones with short sleeves.

I don't really recall ever seeing lab coats with short sleeves. Doesn't that defeat the purpose by leaving your arms exposed?

From my understanding, it's also an unspoken rule that the more experience you have, the longer your coat.

haha I remember one time when I was volunteering/shadowing pharmacy candidates around and I had to borrow a coat from one of the older pharmacists. The students made fun of the fact that I was younger than them and still had the longer coat.

Jeans and bikinis as good as they may look/feel are generally not considered professional wear.;)

So, I can't wear a bikini to my ceremony??? :confused: Awww, shucks...

<<----40+ year old, slightly overweight, slightly greying male.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sorry, couldn't resist. :)

I am a sap for this kind of an event as well. Going through it will make me feel like I've really accomplished something great and that I'll really be contributing to society!

I don't really recall ever seeing lab coats with short sleeves. Doesn't that defeat the purpose by leaving your arms exposed?

Well, just the elbow to the wrist is exposed. If you're wearing a long-sleeve shirt underneath, the whole outfit can cause over-heating pretty fast, especially since the people who run the store prefer warm temperature over cold.

Our pharmacy has no windows so it gets really stuffy and hot back there, a long sleeved lab coat doesn't help.

It will be only a matter of time before Underarmour is making lab coats. :D

I think its different for every school

Sounds like another reason to drink! =)

I equate it to a graduation of sorts, except this occurs right before the start of pharmacy school (or other health professions as well). Here's a much better explanation from the UCSF website...

"The White Coat Ceremony is a wonderful and meaningful tradition in which the School welcomes 1st-year students as colleagues dedicated to patient care. During this event, pharmacy alumni present entering students with a white coat, the symbol of clinical service and care. The students take, in unison, a pledge of professionalism. Family and friends of the entering class are invited to join us for this special occasion. A reception follows the ceremony."

Jeans and bikinis as good as they may look/feel are generally not considered professional wear.;)

Depends on your "profession", don'tcha thank? If you're a stripper, then a bikini with a g-string would be professional wear, wouldn't it?

And, if you're one of these guys:

Wranglers are definitely "professional" dress! It's all relative.

What should I wear for white coat ceremony? causual dress? business suit? or business causual like shirt+ skirt?

Be different. You're a chick. Or at least I hope you are since you indicated "shirt+skirt". I say you should shock everybody and show up naked. Bet you'd be first to get your white coat!!! :D Plus, you'd become famous. Everybody will talk about the girl who showed up naked to the ceremony for years!

Be different. You're a chick. Or at least I hope you are since you indicated "shirt+skirt". I say you should shock everybody and show up naked. Bet you'd be first to get your white coat!!! :D Plus, you'd become famous. Everybody will talk about the girl who showed up naked to the ceremony for years!

That'd be the coolest cover of America's Pharmacist Magazine ever! :smuggrin:

Depends on who it is:laugh::laugh:

I think this outfit should be completely appropriate for any occasion:

legal_l.jpg

wait, you get your white coats before you completed any pharmacy school? bc most give you your coats after first or second year....
i wore a dress. think sunday church attire. nothing too fancy, nothing too businessy.. just something nice.

weird, at UF we get a long coat right away and use it throughout school

We had lots of really good catered food at our ceremony. It was really awesome. We don't have to wear our white coats to class though; it's only on a few special occasions.