What should I work on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumpyduster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me:
- 3.95 Cumulative GPA (Science is slightly higher but I don't keep track)
- No MCAT yet
- Will be a senior
- Not a URM.

ECs:
- Tutoring: 5-10 hours/week for almost 2 years. Chemistry, bio, math.
- Boys and Girls Club volunteering - 1 year, 3 hr/wk
- Biology club member
- Undergraduate research - worked on three projects in same lab (4 semesters, 2 summers). 2 posters presentations/abstracts (national conference and school poster sesh). Probably will publish a paper (1st author) by the time I graduate next May. Will also do a senior thesis.
- will be a chem TA next year

Clinical experience:
- 50 hours shadowing
- 100 hours volunteering at hospital

Provided I get a good MCAT, I kind of want to try to aim for top-tier schools. I feel that my numbers are good, but everything else is just... meh.

1. How can I make myself a better, more competitive applicant? Honestly what is the weakest part of my application? My dream school is Mayo, but I don't know how to fit their mold or if I ever could.

2. If I were to take 2 years off would my MCAT still be good if I took it this July and applied in 2016? The reason I'd want to take 2 years off is because then med schools could see what I've been doing.

Members don't see this ad.

About me:
- 3.95 Cumulative GPA (Science is slightly higher but I don't keep track)
- No MCAT yet
- Will be a senior
- Not a URM.

ECs:
- Tutoring: 5-10 hours/week for almost 2 years. Chemistry, bio, math.
- Boys and Girls Club volunteering - 1 year, 3 hr/wk
- Biology club member
- Undergraduate research - worked on three projects in same lab (4 semesters, 2 summers). 2 posters presentations/abstracts (national conference and school poster sesh). Probably will publish a paper (1st author) by the time I graduate next May. Will also do a senior thesis.
- will be a chem TA next year

Clinical experience:
- 50 hours shadowing
- 100 hours volunteering at hospital

Provided I get a good MCAT, I kind of want to try to aim for top-tier schools. I feel that my numbers are good, but everything else is just... meh.

1. How can I make myself a better, more competitive applicant? Honestly what is the weakest part of my application? My dream school is Mayo, but I don't know how to fit their mold or if I ever could.

2. If I were to take 2 years off would my MCAT still be good if I took it this July and applied in 2016? The reason I'd want to take 2 years off is because then med schools could see what I've been doing.
1) I don't see any peer leadership. Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, so they will want to see this potential from your ECs. A unique hobby or artistic endeavor to help make you more memorable would help, too. It looks like you plan to cover the Teaching EC. And, I'd consider 100 hours of active clinical experience to be on the lowish side (about 150 hours being "average").

2) MCAT scores are good for 2-3 years at the majority of med schools, with a handful more giving you 4-10 years.

1) I don't see any peer leadership. Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, so they will want to see this potential from your ECs. A unique hobby or artistic endeavor to help make you more memorable would help, too. It looks like you plan to cover the Teaching EC. And, I'd consider 100 hours of active clinical experience to be on the lowish side (about 150 hours being "average").

2) MCAT scores are good for 2-3 years at the majority of med schools, with a handful more giving you 4-10 years.

Thanks! Any advice regarding leadership? I kinda feel like it's too late for me.

-Tutoring: Take on an organizational role where you recruit, train, schedule, and monitor the performance of other tutors.
- Boys and Girls Club volunteering -become a committee chair, take on a fund-raising effort, recruit and train other mentors. Start a new program, maybe for after-school tutoring, or field trips, or organized helpfulness for nearby seniors in the community (yard cleanup, painting, shrub trimming, etc).
- Biology club member -become an officer and do something unique and amazing with your power.

Basically, see a need and act to fill it, by directing the efforts of others, but maintaining overall responsibility for the outcome.

Reactions: 1 user