1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What should my GPA be for more competitive dental schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bb9931, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bb9931

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit and I was wondering what kind of GPA's are competitive for schools like (UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA etc...). I know what they are on the websites, but I was curious about what people did to get into those schools. I am planning on taking my DAT next summer, I'm a biochemistry and chemical biology major with a 3.66 GPA (Science GPA 3.62). I have no C's or anything (just 1 B-). What would be a good goal for my DAT?

2. cjb04

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Check out the schools you're interested in on predents.com. I believe it would be safe to assume that 3.7+ GPA, 22+ DAT, good extracurriculars and plenty of exposure to the field would make you a more attractive candidate. Unfortunately, there are plenty of applicants with these credentials and better who DON'T get interviews at some of these "top schools". Do your research, do well on the DAT, and apply to plenty of schools and you should be ok to get in somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As high as f*cking possible

4. Contach

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no, don't go too high. because then it's bad.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Northside

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Haha, biochem and chemical biology... do they have any differences?

Well, regarding your question, shoot for 21 average with no score less than 18 and you should gain acceptance to lots of schools (taking into account your current GPA which is nice).

6. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Getting into UCSF is easy as hell......just be dead sexy!!!! That's what I did!

hehe

Dizz....out

7. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    shoot for a 24 GPA and 3.8 DAT.

8. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
  9. peerless218

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think you're in the safe zone for now. Of course you wanna get as high as possible!!! ALWAYS SHOOT for 4.0's!!! Just don't sacrafice too much of your social life fot it!!!

10. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    make sure you actually want to go to those schools... this isn't undergrad, and the 'prestige' of a dental school doesn't merit much after the fact, except higher loans to pay back.

11. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You'd probably be better off going to Michigan or Detroit Mercy, both of which are pretty well regarded, and much cheaper.

If you're intent on those other five schools though, you'd better have a higher GPA and a high DAT as people have said, especially since you went to a lesser known undergrad (which is not a disadvantage unless you have low scores).

12. LuckiLeigh

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Harvard said they review everyone's entire application regardless of scores so no one knows the magic numbers that get you into that school - obviously high scores, but people with great stats sometimes don't even get an interview

UCLA only interviews 20-25 out-of-state students so you really have to be up there. I would shoot for a 3.8 minimum and no section below a 20 on the DAT. AA needs to be at least a 22. Out of state is tough at UCLA.

GL!