What should my GPA be for more competitive dental schools?

bb9931

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2008
Detroit...
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit and I was wondering what kind of GPA's are competitive for schools like (UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA etc...). I know what they are on the websites, but I was curious about what people did to get into those schools. I am planning on taking my DAT next summer, I'm a biochemistry and chemical biology major with a 3.66 GPA (Science GPA 3.62). I have no C's or anything (just 1 B-). What would be a good goal for my DAT?

cjb04

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Status
Dental Student
Check out the schools you're interested in on predents.com. I believe it would be safe to assume that 3.7+ GPA, 22+ DAT, good extracurriculars and plenty of exposure to the field would make you a more attractive candidate. Unfortunately, there are plenty of applicants with these credentials and better who DON'T get interviews at some of these "top schools". Do your research, do well on the DAT, and apply to plenty of schools and you should be ok to get in somewhere.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Dental Student
As high as f*cking possible

About the Ads

Northside

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit and I was wondering what kind of GPA's are competitive for schools like (UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA etc...). I know what they are on the websites, but I was curious about what people did to get into those schools. I am planning on taking my DAT next summer, I'm a biochemistry and chemical biology major with a 3.66 GPA (Science GPA 3.62). I have no C's or anything (just 1 B-). What would be a good goal for my DAT?
Haha, biochem and chemical biology... do they have any differences?

Well, regarding your question, shoot for 21 average with no score less than 18 and you should gain acceptance to lots of schools (taking into account your current GPA which is nice).

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Dental Student
shoot for a 24 GPA and 3.8 DAT.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
Status
Dental Student
I think you're in the safe zone for now. Of course you wanna get as high as possible!!! ALWAYS SHOOT for 4.0's!!! Just don't sacrafice too much of your social life fot it!!!

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student
make sure you actually want to go to those schools... this isn't undergrad, and the 'prestige' of a dental school doesn't merit much after the fact, except higher loans to pay back.

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
You'd probably be better off going to Michigan or Detroit Mercy, both of which are pretty well regarded, and much cheaper.

If you're intent on those other five schools though, you'd better have a higher GPA and a high DAT as people have said, especially since you went to a lesser known undergrad (which is not a disadvantage unless you have low scores).

LuckiLeigh

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Harvard said they review everyone's entire application regardless of scores so no one knows the magic numbers that get you into that school - obviously high scores, but people with great stats sometimes don't even get an interview

UCLA only interviews 20-25 out-of-state students so you really have to be up there. I would shoot for a 3.8 minimum and no section below a 20 on the DAT. AA needs to be at least a 22. Out of state is tough at UCLA.

GL!

About the Ads