• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

What should my GPA be for more competitive dental schools?

bb9931

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2008
Detroit...
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit and I was wondering what kind of GPA's are competitive for schools like (UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA etc...). I know what they are on the websites, but I was curious about what people did to get into those schools. I am planning on taking my DAT next summer, I'm a biochemistry and chemical biology major with a 3.66 GPA (Science GPA 3.62). I have no C's or anything (just 1 B-). What would be a good goal for my DAT?

cjb04

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Glendale, AZ
  1. Dental Student
Check out the schools you're interested in on predents.com. I believe it would be safe to assume that 3.7+ GPA, 22+ DAT, good extracurriculars and plenty of exposure to the field would make you a more attractive candidate. Unfortunately, there are plenty of applicants with these credentials and better who DON'T get interviews at some of these "top schools". Do your research, do well on the DAT, and apply to plenty of schools and you should be ok to get in somewhere.

About the Ads

Northside

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I'm a sophomore at Wayne State University in Detroit and I was wondering what kind of GPA's are competitive for schools like (UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA etc...). I know what they are on the websites, but I was curious about what people did to get into those schools. I am planning on taking my DAT next summer, I'm a biochemistry and chemical biology major with a 3.66 GPA (Science GPA 3.62). I have no C's or anything (just 1 B-). What would be a good goal for my DAT?

Haha, biochem and chemical biology... do they have any differences?

Well, regarding your question, shoot for 21 average with no score less than 18 and you should gain acceptance to lots of schools (taking into account your current GPA which is nice).

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
  1. Dental Student
You'd probably be better off going to Michigan or Detroit Mercy, both of which are pretty well regarded, and much cheaper.

If you're intent on those other five schools though, you'd better have a higher GPA and a high DAT as people have said, especially since you went to a lesser known undergrad (which is not a disadvantage unless you have low scores).

LuckiLeigh

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
  1. Dental Student
Harvard said they review everyone's entire application regardless of scores so no one knows the magic numbers that get you into that school - obviously high scores, but people with great stats sometimes don't even get an interview

UCLA only interviews 20-25 out-of-state students so you really have to be up there. I would shoot for a 3.8 minimum and no section below a 20 on the DAT. AA needs to be at least a 22. Out of state is tough at UCLA.

GL!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.