What should my next move be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrKat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice regarding applying to medical school vs. post baccalaureate programs. I'm from California, and am looking to get into a UC medical school. I would really appreciate any advice on whether I should apply to medical school this summer or if I should partake in post bac work. If so, any suggested programs?

Here's my situation:

I scored a 32O on the MCAT (PS 12, VR 9, BS 11).

My GPA is really low, a 3.2. For the first 2 years of undergrad I struggled with anxiety and depression, which affected my grades and I had to leave school to address these problems. Since my return to school 3.5 years ago, however, I have had 4.0 every quarter. I address this problem in my personal statement, but I realize that it's still a big drawback.

My extracurriculars are fairly basic
- 6 mo. Internship in a Child Life department
- 150 hours of shadowing
- Clinical program in Ecuador
- 6 mo. Neurological Surgery Research Internship
- Member of UCD bowling team

I do plan to retake the MCATs, as I was scoring better (34-37) on the practice exams and feel like I just took on too much too close to the exam.

Also, money is a factor here. If I don't stand a decent chance of acceptance into schools this time around, I would prefer not to spend that money. This also most likely rules out one year masters programs, as those are pretty pricey.

Really, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For a California applicant looking to seek admission to a California medical school, your MCAT score and EC's look competitive. (California's matriculants averaged a 32.5 MCAT)

Earning a 4.0 every quarter since your return to school is no joke, good on you!
Would you mind parsing out your cGPA vs sGPA before and after your leave of absence? Understanding your grade trend might help better answer whether you should opt for the expensive post-bacc GPA boost route or not.

The turn around is great, but unless you are applying as a urm or disadvantaged, the gpa won't cut it. It's not a matter of mcat. I suggest an smp and applying mainly out of state.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
For a California applicant looking to seek admission to a California medical school, your MCAT score and EC's look competitive. (California's matriculants averaged a 32.5 MCAT)

Earning a 4.0 every quarter since your return to school is no joke, good on you!
Would you mind parsing out your cGPA vs sGPA before and after your leave of absence? Understanding your grade trend might help better answer whether you should opt for the expensive post-bacc GPA boost route or not.
There isn't too big a difference between my cGPA and sGPA before leaving, and they were both abysmal.
Turns out when I can't attend classes, I don't do well in them :)

cGPA: 1.92
sGPA: 2.23

Since my return they've been the same, 4.0 each.

The turn around is great, but unless you are applying as a urm or disadvantaged, the gpa won't cut it. It's not a matter of mcat. I suggest an smp and applying mainly out of state.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
I'm not an URM and although I qualify as socioeconomically disadvantaged, I don't plan on playing that up. Since you've suggested the SMP route, mind suggesting some programs?
Also, would you mind explaining why I should focus on out of state schools?

Thanks!

I'm not an URM and although I qualify as socioeconomically disadvantaged, I don't plan on playing that up. Since you've suggested the SMP route, mind suggesting some programs?
Also, would you mind explaining why I should focus on out of state schools?

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd "play that up" because it is reality of what happened in your life. You're not taking up some advantage you didn't earn. In fact, it's no advantage at all. It's to have a level playing field since the rest of applicants likely had a cushy life that made it easier for them educationally all around.

California is a tough state to stay in. The amount of competitive applicants is so big that odds are against you. Your SMP will surely be taken into consideration, but you can't rely on that for a state that's so hard.

Personally, I'd just apply Osteopathic. No point in paying extra money for the possibility of maybe getting 1 letter changed and moved to the back.

If I were you, I'd "play that up" because it is reality of what happened in your life. You're not taking up some advantage you didn't earn. In fact, it's no advantage at all. It's to have a level playing field since the rest of applicants likely had a cushy life that made it easier for them educationally all around.

+1

Your cGPA vs sGPA breakdown before leaving is actually a good thing - it's showing that you struggled with non-science moreso than science.

I'd agree that an SMP will improve your chances of staying in California for MD and you should definitely not cross-off DO programs in California. (Check this thread for an SMP which would be beneficial to you)

You should also strongly consider applying out of state. You'll have the opportunity to return to California for residency.