Medical What should my postgrad plan be for low stat & low income student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a math major graduating next Spring. I have all my prereqs taken, with the exception of 2 labs I could not take due to COVID. I will also need to retake Bio 1 & Chem 1 due to C minuses a few years back.
More about me:
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: not yet taken
URM: Yes
Research: none
Non-clinical Volunteering: significant & sustained involvement with underserved communities/children
Clinical: 80 hours of shadowing (highschool); significant amount of hours as Medical Interpreter (both paid and volunteer)

I mention low income because I would like to have the most cost-effective plan possible. Getting a job would be ideal for me next year, but I know it might not be possible due to other weaknesses in my application.

I don't know what my next move should be. Am I completely out of the game? Formal/DIY post bac? SMP? Thanks in advance.
I suggest working for a few years and then saving up the cash to go full time as a student.

And read this:

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your reply and for linking your post. The MCAT timing is a little tricky to me given how some SMP programs require it. Would it make sense to study for and take the MCAT right after I graduate? Or work, then take classes full-time, then take the MCAT?
Take the MCAT when you are 100% ready for it. Just do NOT do this while you're in your post-bac or SMP! For optimal app timing, take the exam prior to GPA reinvention.

Agree. Med schools aren't going anywhere. If you have to save up, do it. But make sure you are scoring well above your goal MCAT score before taking it. Definitely need post-bac before applying though. I think DIY- post-bac would be most cost-effective and flexible for you.

Thank you for replying to my post.

So best case scenario (financially) would you say the steps would look something like:
1. retaking bio 1 & chem 1 (per Goro's advice, retaking bio 1 & chem 1 would go after the mcat)
2. auditing/taking biochem for mcat
3. studying and taking mcat
4. a year of full-time post-bac (~30 credits)
5. applying the spring I finish the post bac
So you want to retake bio/chem BEFORE or AFTER MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.