What should my realistic expectations be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I am a non-traditional student (and not a URM) and it took me a long time to realize I wanted to become a doctor. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a 2.52 gpa with a major in polisci and only took 2 science courses as a student there. Right after graduation I enrolled as a post-bac student at another local institution (a 4 year university) and took ALL the pre-requisite science courses in a single year earning a 3.78 gpa. So my stats are thus:

cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 3.48
MCAT: 25 (however I've taken it a 2nd time and am waiting for the results, i was scoring 32/33 on practice AAMC's so I'm hoping for at least a 31)

EC's:
1) Ton's of clinical experience as I've been a member of surgical teams during heart operations for the past 2.5 years
2) Over a 100 hours shadowing M.D. heart surgeons
3) will spend the next year volunteering for a hospice program
4) Will be part of a medical mission trip to Ethiopia in May, again as part of a surgical team
5) certified as a PBMT (peri-operative blood management technician)

I feel that I will be competitve for some D.O. schools but have almost no chance at M.D. I applied broadly to both however (27 M.D. programs and 18 D.O.) Is this a realistic expectation, or are even D.O. schools stretch? Any insight would greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to help fellow Michigan people out, but below a 3.0, even a 3.3, is hard to overcome. MDs will not accept you, but maybe you could get one DO school? You'll have to retake the MCAT and maybe even look at another way to increase the cGPA. That's going to get you screened almost everywhere.

Really look into things like SMPs and if another postbacc is possible, then do that.

I think the 2.8 is a little low even for DO, but I really hope you can get in somewhere this cycle. If not, maybe the best thing to do is take the year off to retake some of the polisci courses you did poorly in since DO schools allow for grade replacement. With a higher GPA and an MCAT score >30 you should be competitive. Your ECs look great by the way :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cGPA is simply too low for MD schools, so applying to those will be a waste of a LOT of money. I'm afraid the cGPA will get you autoscreened out of many DO schools (inlcudling mine).

You should contact some DO schools and talk to admissions deans to see if you might qualify for them. I think your best chances will be at the newer schools.

First off, I am a non-traditional student (and not a URM) and it took me a long time to realize I wanted to become a doctor. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a 2.52 gpa with a major in polisci and only took 2 science courses as a student there. Right after graduation I enrolled as a post-bac student at another local institution (a 4 year university) and took ALL the pre-requisite science courses in a single year earning a 3.78 gpa. So my stats are thus:

cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 3.48
MCAT: 25 (however I've taken it a 2nd time and am waiting for the results, i was scoring 32/33 on practice AAMC's so I'm hoping for at least a 31)

EC's:
1) Ton's of clinical experience as I've been a member of surgical teams during heart operations for the past 2.5 years
2) Over a 100 hours shadowing M.D. heart surgeons
3) will spend the next year volunteering for a hospice program
4) Will be part of a medical mission trip to Ethiopia in May, again as part of a surgical team
5) certified as a PBMT (peri-operative blood management technician)

I feel that I will be competitve for some D.O. schools but have almost no chance at M.D. I applied broadly to both however (27 M.D. programs and 18 D.O.) Is this a realistic expectation, or are even D.O. schools stretch? Any insight would greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody

I don't know about DO, but for MD you shouldn't get your hopes up. Unless you do really well on your retake, you won't get into an MD program with your MCAT/uGPA.

So, I just received the results of my July MCAT. I received a 31 Q. My score breakdown is this:

VR: 9
PS:10
BS: 12

I think that with my sGPA I'll be competitive at most DO schools. I'd really like to go MD though. Is there any shot at MD or does my cGPA nullify any chance?

So, I just received the results of my July MCAT. I received a 31 Q. My score breakdown is this:

VR: 9
PS:10
BS: 12

I think that with my sGPA I'll be competitive at most DO schools. I'd really like to go MD though. Is there any shot at MD or does my cGPA nullify any chance?

It doesn't matter what your sGPA is if your cGPA is below 3.0. Most DO schools will screen you out before they even look at the rest of your app. Even then, a 3.48 sGPA is still just average for DO.

Unfortunately, if you want MD you'll need to do a postbacc and get the cGPA minimum above 3.0.
Even then your chances will be VERY low unless you do an SMP as well.

Your options now are either:
A) Wait and take postbacc courses till you get your cGPA >3.0, then do a SMP and apply in 2yrs. for MD.
B) Do a postbacc this yr. and apply early to as many DO schools as you can next cycle in June. With a ~3.0 and a 31 and an early app, you'll have a decent shot at some DO schools.