what size thank you card?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swisschez2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i use the regular greeting card size or send one of those 20 pack index card size?

Members don't see this ad.

how about just an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you card? Proper protocol would call for a standard business thank you letter, I would think.

see i was curious about the whole thank you card awhile back...

so i was talkin to a lady at UToronto who has been directly involved in med/dent admissions etc... and i asked her about sending a thank you card and she was almost amused by the question and then flatly said no...

they've got these stringent admissions criteria/point systems etc... a thank you card she said, will not add points to your score nor will it likely make it to anyone who has a say and if it does it would be improper for such a thing to influence the committee... ur thank you card doesn't mean the person with a higher rank doesn't want or deserve the spot any more than you do... they are fully aware of how much each person wants a spot in the class ... she went on to say at the same time it won't hurt you in any way for just those same reasons...they can't adjust ur ranking negatively because u sent something in...overall..it justs seems kinda pointless then...

anyway..that's just her opinion..but thought i'd post it since she def has credibility in this area...at least at Utoronto...

by the way...i also read posts awhile back.. people saying 'oh i got in because i sent in a thank you card'..... i'm curious... how could u be so sure that's what did it???

I would just send an email. It gets there fast, and easy for the other person to view.

I used index card-sized thank you notes. Three sentences hand-written.

Call me not-so-classy, but I didn't bother sending in a thank you card. I got into all of my applied schools without one. While it won't hurt, I don't think any of my interviewers feel snubbed because I didn't send them anything. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I agree that a thank you card or note might not help or hurt your chance to get in, but it is a polite way to say thank you sincerely because at one time, the faculty took his/her time to talk with you. These people know you and your experience. They are not likely to forget you. In another word, when in dental school, you will still meet them! It is great to continue to develop a professional relationship with your interviewer.

Dentaldream said:
I would just send an email. It gets there fast, and easy for the other person to view.

I disagree. A typed or written letter will show that you took the time and care to thank the recipient whereas an email is just the 'lazy' way of thanking the person.

blankguy said:
I disagree. A typed or written letter will show that you took the time and care to thank the recipient whereas an email is just the 'lazy' way of thanking the person.

Do you expect them to put your thank you card on their mantle??? Most likely they'll open it and toss it as soon as they finish reading it. An email is just as professional, just put some effort into writing it. I guarantee they will respect a thoughtful email.

lovetractor said:
Thank you card? Proper protocol would call for a standard business thank you letter, I would think.

Like lovetractor, I send the standard business thank you letter...nothing too long, just straight to the point. IMO, a business letter shows the most professionalism. Small, conservative thank you cards (the ones you can buy in bulk packs from stationery stores) and emails are also appropriate, but I would generally stay away from the single, larger thank you cards...just a bit over the top for this conservative guy (me).

Also, to me, the thank you letter shouldn't be about "improving" your chances, but rather about being the right thing to do. It's _always_ nice to receive thanks, and it's definitely warranted in this case.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was invited to shadow a student for a day at one dental school, I just made sure to stop by the dean's office at the end of the day and personally say a "thank you" (with handshake & sincere smile (I was so ecstatic to be there!)) before I left, and I left it at that. I'd be inclined to do something similar for interviews (if I get any :( ).

Dentaldream said:
Do you expect them to put your thank you card on their mantle??? Most likely they'll open it and toss it as soon as they finish reading it. An email is just as professional, just put some effort into writing it. I guarantee they will respect a thoughtful email.

Agree. This is the 21st century.

blankguy said:

I concur with Blankguy, you should just write a short. professional, thank you letter (nothing fansy, or with pictures).

Dentaldream said:

IF they even read it.....

HBomb888 said:
Also, to me, the thank you letter shouldn't be about "improving" your chances, but rather about being the right thing to do. It's _always_ nice to receive thanks, and it's definitely warranted in this case.
I feel the same way, but I guess we're in the minority these days. It's funny how people can adopt such Machiavellian attitudes towards a simple scrap of paper (or packet of data, in the case of emails).

Personally even when I know I bombed an interview, have zero chance of acceptance and will never see the interviewers again, I still send a thank you card as a matter of common courtesy. Not everything in life has to be accompanied by an ulterior motive.

avingupta said:
IF they even read it.....

Why wouldnt they? Email is the most frequently used channel of sending info in the workplace today, moreso than telephone.

Dentaldream said:
Why wouldnt they? Email is the most frequently used channel of sending info in the workplace today, moreso than telephone.

Because I know for a fact at some schools they only have like one or two people looking at applications, who are also the ones who run interviews....so Im pretty sure that if you write an elaborate letter, they will open it, and probably go blah blah blah.......and throw it in the trash, cause they probably are used to it....sorry to be so bitter about it, but a card does dick.

Perhaps at a smaller school where they only interview a small amount of people, it may be relevant, but who knows.....dont waste your energy.....like Dream said, write an email.

I didn't send or email anything...I'm such an ignorant brat..... :laugh:

avingupta said:
Because I know for a fact at some schools they only have like one or two people looking at applications, who are also the ones who run interviews....so Im pretty sure that if you write an elaborate letter, they will open it, and probably go blah blah blah.......and throw it in the trash, cause they probably are used to it....sorry to be so bitter about it, but a card does dick.

Perhaps at a smaller school where they only interview a small amount of people, it may be relevant, but who knows.....dont waste your energy.....like Dream said, write an email.

I agree, I didn't send a note either. If everybody sends a note, then what's the point. Although, I can't remember which school it was (not Baylor) of the Texas schools that told us we should write a thank you and how to get it there. I didn't bother, guess what, still got in. They don't read 'em and they can't let it affect their decision, plus, they won't remember you when you get in anyway.

I sent a typed business letter on nice cotton fiber stationary with a watermark to the program director and/or chairperson. This is also a good chance to let them know how much and why you are interested in their program specifically. Mentioning specific things you spoke about during the interview will also help them remember you.

For individual interviewers, I also sent a handwritten note on 5x7" stationary. Again, try to be specific so it doesn't sound like a form letter.

Good luck!