What smartphone is best for med school iphone or galaxy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogeter82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My upgrade is tomorrow. I'm trying to decide between iphone 5s and galaxy s4?
Any suggestions?
I prefer a phone with good note taking apps and recording apps for class?

Members don't see this ad.

Iphone 5s. Better quality organization apps (like istudiez pro) . Better build quality (you don't want a phone made of cheap slimy plastic).Also a lot of medical schools has started to give out iPads, so if you had an iPhone you could sync more easily between the two.

iphone is much more popular with med students/doctors/hospital staff. Take that as you will

Members don't see this ad :)
The screen size throws some off, but the Galaxy Note 3 is personally the best phone I've ever owned. I would think the screen size and S Pen functions would come in handy. Out of those you named, I'd say S4, but I'm admittedly biased.

The screen size throws some off, but the Galaxy Note 3 is personally the best phone I've ever owned. I would think the screen size and S Pen functions would come in handy. Out of those you named, I'd say S4, but I'm admittedly biased.

The OP is asking what phone should he buy for medical school not what T.V.

Lol, but in all seriousness the galaxy note 3 is not only made of cheap plastic but its screen is unreasonably big

Reactions: 1 users
You can get that super rad watch with the galaxy.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally had a galaxy S4. While I liked it, most of the people I know that are involved in medicine (and are in medical school) use the iPhone. I'm now (back) on an iPhone 4S. Personally, I find the syncing between various iDevices and the ability to use iMessage (works great in low-data and wifi situations) to be second to none.

I have an S4, but I REALLY dislike the AMOLED screen (colors way too unrealistic and saturated; screen way too dim for outdoor use); the speaker position at the back is terrible. Further, touchwiz is ugly and not as productive as iOS, but you can root it and install a custom rom. I suggest the nexus 5, HTC one, or iphone 5s.

Lol, but in all seriousness the galaxy note 3 is not only made of cheap plastic but its screen is unreasonably big

Phone is a lot less likely to break if dropped, and the back, while made of faux leather, is still a lot better than the previous note and has double the grip. I wasn't a fan of the screen size either, until I tried it out. Never had a problem fitting it into my pocket. Love it and don't think I could go back if I wanted to. It's easily the best smartphone on the market, but to each his own.

Plastic phones have many advantages: less likely to break, option to remove battery and add a new one, availability for removable storage, easier to tweak with.
If you look around you will notice most of the damaged phones you see (especially the ones with broken screens) are iphones.

On a side note, I always find it ironic that most of the people who prize the iphone's high quality build end up covering it in some cheap plastic cover.

I too would recommend a Note 3. There are SO many more cool things you can do with it. And I love its size, its much easier to zoom in on images and read text than the smaller iphone's screen.

Wait for the Samsung Galaxy S5.
It will be revolutionary vs evolutionary.
I like to look articles up on my phone on the fly, so the narrow apple screen doesn't do it for me.

This only doesn't apply if you have tiny hands.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest you to go for iPhone 5s. It suits more with med students and doctors.
Based on what? Most of our faculty switched to apple, but that's because we were all given ipads and they want to sync with that and their macbooks.
I don't take the iPad to work, so I would rather have the larger screen and better battery life. I don't care if I'm all in sync either.

For what it's worth, I have the iphone5 and it's definitely the best phone I've ever owned (galaxy, droids, etc.)

I love my s4 it's the best phone I have ever had.
I'm also getting an ipad mini for med school so I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds

If you're going to make notes on this phone, I would choose S4 because it's bigger. On comperio.com you can find comparison of those two phones - it might be helpful

I recently upgraded to an LG Optimis Pro G, and it's been awesome. Screen size is a bit large at first, but you get used to it quickly. Plus, it's great for doing anki flashcards. :thumbup:

I vote iPhone. Syncing with iPads/MacBooks is nice.

I'd say 95% of people use a case, so it doesn't matter...

Iphone fanboys really need to stop talking about how good their phone looks. Android can do everything the iphone does and some.