What snacks are you bringing on test day and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gatorade to keep hydrated and the potassium... but what else?

Some people say take granola bars??? Any particular reason? Good quality carbs?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a multivitamin, and brought a Sobe Green Tea (made with sugar, not high fructose corn syrup), and some granola bars. Granola bars curb the appetite without leaving you feeling bloated and full, so it was my snack of choice.

Worked out great... I wasn't hungry, and didn't have to use the bathroom too much, since I just took sips of the tea :thumbup:

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
protein bar and powerade...

apparently, somebody told me that there is an extra ingredient that makes you smarter in powerade. gatorade lacks it :confused:

I heard that there was an ingredient in powerade that made you have to pee less. Actually it was my Kaplan verbal instructor that told us this...

Wow, its 5 hrs. Not that long. I just brought water (but ended up using theirs) and a granola bar (just because it was small and non-messy - would have liked a nice steak but couldn't fit it in the locker and keep it warm! ;) ) . I ate breakfast and was done by 1 for a 8am exam - didn't start until 8:30-9am though due to registration issues. Just don't overly hydrate yourself (you'll have to pee alot) and just bring a snack like you were going to class or something.

:D Don't stress about the snacks! Worry about the exam!

Gatorade to keep hydrated and the potassium... but what else?

Some people say take granola bars??? Any particular reason? Good quality carbs?
Is this an eating contest or exam day?:laugh::laugh:, you are worried about what to eat and drink? it is only 5 hours (long movie), you finish and get to all the good in the world:laugh::laugh:

Take a tub of Jif-to-go and a spoon. The peanut butter will keep your brain working and keep you full. Have a spoonful between each section.

*This peanut butter advertisement brought to you courtesy of an ACT prep person I took a class with about 6 years ago.. It works!

I heard that there was an ingredient in powerade that made you have to pee less. Actually it was my Kaplan verbal instructor that told us this...

the electrolytes. if you get really curious, you can take a look at a model of the nephron and figure it out- i've more or less forgotten the specifics without looking up a diagram again.

the electrolytes. if you get really curious, you can take a look at a model of the nephron and figure it out- i've more or less forgotten the specifics without looking up a diagram again.

Ummm, doesn't gaterade have the same electrolytes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this snacks thing is hysterical. I was obsessed with snacks for the first time around - I brought a blueberry smoothie, french bread, olives and cherries. That test was a disaster, for so many reasons. For the next one, I brought a blueberry muffin from Dunkin Donuts because it was all I could find at 7am in the middle of Delaware. I don't have my score yet, but I was way chill with that muffin.

I think this snacks thing is hysterical. I was obsessed with snacks for the first time around - I brought a blueberry smoothie, french bread, olives and cherries. That test was a disaster, for so many reasons. For the next one, I brought a blueberry muffin from Dunkin Donuts because it was all I could find at 7am in the middle of Delaware. I don't have my score yet, but I was way chill with that muffin.

You must really love blueberry.

both gatorade and powerade have electrolytes.

my kaplan instructor also told me that powerade is better than gatorade. i'm just gonna go with it since kaplan instructors scores in the 90th percentile.

mos def to the mind over matter

also, i do like to eat every couple hours or so

is it advisable to drink caffeine in the middle of the sections? to get pumped?

or would u end up crashing too bad?

also, are you allowed to have drinks WHILE taking the test? or are they nazis about that too?

thanks

1 coffee before the physical science section, black, no sugar.

Go to pee during break.
Couple of gulps of Poweraide (fruit punch) before the verbal section. Keeps me hydrated and keeps blood glucose at decent levels.

Eat a Clif's Builders Bar before the Writing section. Take a few gulps of Red Bull to keep me going.

Pee during break (again). Drink some poweraide, drink some Red Bull. Kill Bio.

I tailored this during the practice tests and used it on test day. Was fine.

Had a Big Mac combo w/ a coke right before the test

Chicken sandwich / granola bar / chips / water halfway through

300 mg caffeine pills spread throughout

Worked out nicely for me