What someone in Dallas thinks of the Dental field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not gonna lie, as funny as that is, it kind of scared the crap out of me at the same time.

On a different note, if you're looking for housing close to the dental school, I happen to know of a lovely 3 br historical house 5 min from Baylor that's going to be available. PM me if you want more info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie, as funny as that is, it kind of scared the crap out of me at the same time.

On a different note, if you're looking for housing close to the dental school, I happen to know of a lovely 3 br historical house 5 min from Baylor that's going to be available. PM me if you want more info :)

Oh I was actually looking for a place in downers grove, IL. I wasn't lucky... or should i say good enough to get accepted into a Texas school.

Oh I was actually looking for a place in downers grove, IL. I wasn't lucky... or should i say good enough to get accepted into a Texas school.

I would not say good enough. More so lucky. Texas schools do not do OOS. Sucks because they are so cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

That's a depressing way to put it! You're good enough to go to dental school and that's what matters!

Edited to clarify what I was trying to say: just because you didn't get to go to a specific school doesn't make you less of a qualified dental student, it just works out differently for different people!

Last edited:
poor soul, he/she didn't meet a good model dentist. they are out there...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
damn how can u afford 1.1k a month?
Banking on becoming a successful dentist! That's what loans are for lol. What's an extra few thousand dollars to live in a nice place when you are already paying 400,000

Banking on becoming a successful dentist! That's what loans are for lol. What's an extra few thousand dollars to live in a nice place when you are already paying 400,000

Uhh not the type of mentality you should be having. But to each his own I guess.

lol r u serious...you're actually gonna end up paying double that from the interest. plus ur already going to one of the most expensive dental schools in the universe...setting yourself up to be a successful practice owner starts now and you're already going to be several hundred grand behind the average graduate.

lol r u serious...you're actually gonna end up paying double that from the interest. plus ur already going to one of the most expensive dental schools in the universe...setting yourself up to be a successful practice owner starts now and you're already going to be several hundred grand behind the average graduate.
Not really. Theres things that people can "splurge" on and things people cant for many reasons.
For example, when I get out of dental school I have a dentist who plans on retiring after giving me 4-5 years of practice.
I have the ability to be a bit more loose with my money.
Not to mention I invest my money pretty wisely.
Uhh not the type of mentality you should be having. But to each his own I guess.
Read above

I thought MWU's tuition is similar to Roseman, Sad LECOM, and some other schools. But yeah... I'll be paying an extra ~$200k more than what many others students will. This will slow me down by good 4-7 years.

Are you financing everything through loans? Seeing that you did a master's program at MWU-IL and are going to dental school there, what are you estimating for your total loan amount?

Are you financing everything through loans? Seeing that you did a master's program at MWU-IL and are going to dental school there, what are you estimating for your total loan amount?
Luckily I went to a state school so my parents paid for my undergrad (had a nice scholarship, ended up not costing me over 30k for everything). So I came out of undergrad debt free.
The 9 month program will run me about 50,000
And I expect around $110,000 per year for dental school.
Total around $500,000 in debt once I leave.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ing-salary-right-out-of-dental-school.966663/
From what I see there, a dentist who has good connections coming out of dental school can make 6 figures and a minimum of 80 a year. I was also told at an interview at case the average dentist walks out making 80-110 a year. From the looks of it, more people actually make more too (looking at other threads)

Think about it, debt sucks, loan sucks. Without a doubt. But the average dentist makes nearly 200,000 a year. Even straight out of dental school, you aren't going to be stressed for money as long as you can find the job. I'd rather be able to live nicely in my 20's and pay a bit more when I am making my money then to live on a thin string.

Luckily I went to a state school so my parents paid for my undergrad (had a nice scholarship, ended up not costing me over 30k for everything). So I came out of undergrad debt free.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ing-salary-right-out-of-dental-school.966663/
From what I see there, a dentist who has good connections coming out of dental school can make 6 figures and a minimum of 80 a year. I was also told at an interview at case the average dentist walks out making 80-110 a year. From the looks of it, more people actually make more too (looking at other threads)

Think about it, debt sucks, loan sucks. Without a doubt. But the average dentist makes nearly 200,000 a year. Even straight out of dental school, you aren't going to be stressed for money as long as you can find the job. I'd rather be able to live nicely in my 20's and pay a bit more when I am making my money then to live on a thin string.

http://www.dentaltown.com/dentaltown/Blogs.aspx?action=VIEWPOST&b=153&bp=701&v=1

http://agdblogs.blogspot.com/2011/11/good-luck-young-dentist.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/b...-trivers-book-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deception

Last edited:
Not really. Theres things that people can "splurge" on and things people cant for many reasons.
For example, when I get out of dental school I have a dentist who plans on retiring after giving me 4-5 years of practice.
I have the ability to be a bit more loose with my money.

Not to mention I invest my money pretty wisely.

Read above

Well I hope you have that in writing. It's easy for someone to promise things when they are not legally obligated to adhere to that promise. Plus, never bank on that. That dentist could change their mind, hit financial burdens and be forced to work longer, become ill and have to sell their practice. No offense, but this dentist isn't going to sit around and wait for you. Everyone looks out for themselves first, this being no exception. (S)he isn't going to burden themselves just to give you an opportunity if it jeopardizes their financial future.

Interesting... because the BLS states the median income is at $145,240, which will put you around the 28% tax bracket (federally, assuming single), which will leave you with roughly $104,572, or $8,714 a month, after all is said and done.

So... what will that 8k get ya?

Well, if you are ambitious and try and pay it off in 10 years your monthly payment is going to run you $5,754 (assuming a 6.8% interest rate, which admittedly I am not familiar with current rates, so that is the best I could find). Which leaves you with $2,960. Given that you want to live nicely in your 20s, you'll probably buy a BMW or Mercedes to celebrate becoming a Dr. So that will be about $700 in monthly car payments, leaving $2,200 for housing, food, bills, and some extra spending money. Let me tell you, that $2,200 won't go far. I live in a low cost of living area and that's roughly what I spend a month once you consider rent, groceries, utilities, cable, cell phone, gas, car insurance, etc. And believe me when I say that I don't live in an area that a dentist would be in.

Oh wait, and I almost forgot to mention that you are going to want to fund your retirement! Ideally at 15% of your gross income, so we actually need to subtract an extra $21,786 a year ($1,815/month) from those figures I gave you. So, actually you now have $6,899 a month to pay down debt and pay for all of your living expenses.

BTW, if you decide to take more time to pay down the loans, 15 years will run you $4,438/month (and you will pay $798,915 over the life of the loan) and 20 years will be $3,816/month ($916,006 over the life).

Your plan of lavish living is beginning to add up. Just think of it this way, every extra and unnecessary dollar above the bare minimum you require is taking away from your future self. I don't know about you, but I would much rather live frugally now and secure my financial future and retire early down the road.

I like the name "impulse". Screw the delay gratification!

Why get the mini-meal or the diet coke when we can have the real deal.

Compounding interest is a real thing. And it is not a nice one.

I will be spending around $850 a month for housing (including utilities) and think that is a "splurge"... and I'm still going to come out with less than 100k in loans (and a lawyer spouse who will be totally debt-free).

I would have 10 roommates if I was staring down the barrel of a 500k loan! Actually, I would be going into the military or reapplying, but that's a different conversation.

Compounding interest is a real thing. And it is not a nice one.

I will be spending around $850 a month for housing (including utilities) and think that is a "splurge"... and I'm still going to come out with less than 100k in loans (and a lawyer spouse who will be totally debt-free).

I would have 10 roommates if I was staring down the barrel of a 500k loan! Actually, I would be going into the military or reapplying, but that's a different conversation.

EXACTLY! I don't understand how pre-dents and pre-meds don't feel the pressure of the debt load they are taking on. Granted, I have a unique perspective and can't exactly relate to facing a monstrous debt load. So many people fixate on the likelihood of having a six figure salary. And while it's a very real possibility, the fact that you have that DDS/DMD isn't going to guarantee it. You not only have to have good dental skills, but you have to have amazing business skills to compete with the dentists that are on nearly every corner.

Also, let's not forget that most of us will purchase a practice, that is another MONSTROUS sum of money that you will be liable for.

Seriously people, focus on a sound financial future. Don't fall into the "Dr. mentality", thats for once you are in practice for 10+ years. Live conservatively, invest aggressively. Think further down the road than 5 years. There are no guarantees in life, including the ability to pay off these crazy loans

Also, let's not forget that most of us will purchase a practice, that is another MONSTROUS sum of money that you will be liable for.

To add on to this...

And a home. And a car. And maybe a wedding or kids! AH!