What sort of questions are tested on for orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the sort of reactions tested on for organic basic ones, such as SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc., or are there more specific reactions that we will be asked to predict the products? The practice orgo questions in the Mc-Graw Hill book go into way more specificity on reactions than the official practice exam.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

sometimes you have a simple one where they give you a reactant and a product, and ask you what reagents you need to use. it's been a while for me so i don't remember it well.

Nomenclature, functional groups, pKa, common reagents and synthesis techniques. Mostly OChem I stuff. Anyone remember anything different?

They might occasionally put NMR/IR spectroscopy as well.

When I took the PCAT last year they didn't have much advanced orgo stuff on it so it was basically what charfdorn said, but don't be surprised if you do see some more intricate synthesis questions. I was lucky to not see a lot of stuff more advanced than Orgo I for the June test last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really?!? :scared: A NMR/IR? Does the PCAT supply a table with the IR so one can mark off the peaks or does one have to know the wavelength values. I would have to assume the first option (a table).

They might occasionally put NMR/IR spectroscopy as well.

When I took the PCAT last year they didn't have much advanced orgo stuff on it so it was basically what charfdorn said, but don't be surprised if you do see some more intricate synthesis questions. I was lucky to not see a lot of stuff more advanced than Orgo I for the June test last year.

Really?!? :scared: A NMR/IR? Does the PCAT supply a table with the IR so one can mark off the peaks or does one have to know the wavelength values. I would have to assume the first option (a table).

they won't give you any table at all on the real pcat. You should be able to recognize the major functional groups on IR/PROTON & CARBON NMR. i.e. alcohols, ketones,aldehydes.

alcohols are the easiest because of their broad peak ranges at around 3300-3000.

cliff's tests have some good nmr and ir practice questions. good luck