What Speciality are you Interested in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty are you interested in?

• Anesthesiology

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Diagnostic Radiology

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 39 9.7%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 24 5.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • Internal Medicine

Votes: 40 9.9%
  • Neurology

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Neurosurgery

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Ob/Gyn

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Pathology

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Physical Medicine

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Plastic Surgery

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • Radiation Oncology

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Urology

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 26 6.4%

• Total voters

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what specialty folks here are leaning towards? Of course this could definitely change over the course of time but its nice to see. I'm interested in General Surgery. If I have time, and if it will help on the mission field (probably not) I might want to do a fellowship in MIS.

Members don't see this ad.

Emergency Medicine. I want a job in the medical field, not a life that revolves around medicine.

Family Medicine or Pediatrics;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatrics...possibly specializing in Infectious Diseases or Pulmonology.

I always loved working with my hands and also loved skeletons and muscle attachments even at a young age. By no means am I saying that I probably won't change my mind a thousand times while going throught rotations but right now, Ortho is where its at.

Minimally invasive surgery.....oops, DoctaJay beat me to it.

Flor the longest time I have been interested in pediatrics, now all of a sudden I think I might want to do psych... maybe I'll combine the two interests somehow

Flor the longest time I have been interested in pediatrics, now all of a sudden I think I might want to do psych... maybe I'll combine the two interests somehow

Check out FREIDA (Fellowship and Residency Interactive Database). It is entirely possible to do what you are thinking about doing.

I'm interested in either general surgery or emergency medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesiology!!!!!!

I love crossword puzzles and sudokus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :banana: :banana: :lol: :lol:

Pathology mates!!!!

Emergency Medicine!
I've done lots of shadowing in this specialty and like that you see a wide range of problems every hour.

Either family medicine with OB or OB/GYN. :love:

Anesthesia all the way baby!!!! I am happy to see we finally have a subsection for Latinos and African-americans on SDN!!! Up until now many of us have had to scrape and scrap our way through medical school with little to no mentoring. We def need to set up more networking to increase the numbers of underrepresented physicians in the US. Anyone interested in medicine or anesthesiology espescially, feel free to PM me!!

-Flaco

Nice to see more people interested in Anesthesiology, Cuban Doc!! what med school are u at???

-As my friend said it best...."I sit on my @$% and collect vitals!!" (much more to it than that but its a great depiction)

I would LOVE to do ortho and be the team physician for the Eagles...but, with plastics I can make enough money to pay for my BA, MPH, BA (or psot bac), and MD and still do some "probono" work, like helping kids who can't afford care. I'm also considering EM or ped hem/onc.

Pathology..I would like to pursue a career in Forensic Pathology :)

Neonatology :cool: ... I have love for the little ones...
WisePrincess, you should PM OldBearProfessor and ask to join his Neonatology forum, especially if you might want to work in an academic setting. He's an academic neonatologist and really supportive of students.

Flaco, are you going into private practice or academia?

Ob/gyn or Psychiatry :p also somewhat considering Neonatology

Currently I am interesting in Anesthesiology and Emergency Medicine, but the intellectual challenge of Surgery intrigues me.

I would love to cut peoples heads open for a living!

I like the fact that this field constantly keeps you on your toes and it requires quick thinking and leadership..and I believe I have both of those qualities...:thumbup:

I can't decide between neurosurgery or orthopedic *sp surgery...

Currently I am interested in hematology/oncology...

I've been saying Rad, but I'm really not sure

I'm interested in Theriogenology, which is OB/GYN for animals... sort of.

Neonatalogy or pediatric psychiatry :)

Internal Medicine- Cardiology hopefully (Academic Cardiology):love:

i'm shocked that there isn't many of us here but count me in for NEUROLOGY!!

Internal medicine--> Cardiology for me

Family Medicine- Sports Medicine. Maybe Orthopaedic Surgery.

At the moment...

peds w/fellowship in neonatology, critical care, or pediatric EM

I'm sure it will change