What Speciality are you Interested in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty are you interested in?

• Anesthesiology

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Diagnostic Radiology

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 39 9.7%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 24 5.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • Internal Medicine

Votes: 40 9.9%
  • Neurology

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Neurosurgery

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Ob/Gyn

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Pathology

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Physical Medicine

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Plastic Surgery

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • Radiation Oncology

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Urology

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 26 6.4%

• Total voters
At the moment...

peds w/fellowship in neonatology, critical care, or pediatric EM

I'm sure it will change
Hey i just noticed that we both have our BU interview day together if neither of us withdraw!

Members don't see this ad.

ER baby!

I'm a diagnosed adrenaline junkie and working in the ER is like injecting an EpiPen every 10 minutes.

ER
ortho (sport or hand fellowship)
derm

Members don't see this ad :)
pediatrics or Emergency medicine.. although i seem to change my mind at least once a month:D

PM&R with a fellowship in Sports Medicine...WOOF!

Neonatology or infectious Disease

TOP 5 SURGERY
1. NEURO:D
2. PLASTICS:thumbup:
3. ENT
4. Orthro
5. OB/GYN:confused:

TOP 5 MED
1. Anesthesiology :D
2. Emergency medicine:thumbup:
3. Hemo/ONC
4. Psych
5. Sports medicine

Considering:

Surgery (I like to use my hands!), Peds, Derm (haha impossible), anesthesiology, emergency medicine.

Either Family Medicine with a fellowship in Obstetrics or OB/GYN...

I was only thinking OB/GYN but then I realized that I have no interest in doing cesareans. I'd also like to actually work with families after those babies are born and be an advocate for breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc. So, it just might be family medicine for me...

Either Family Medicine with a fellowship in Obstetrics or OB/GYN...

I was only thinking OB/GYN but then I realized that I have no interest in doing cesareans. I'd also like to actually work with families after those babies are born and be an advocate for breastfeeding, attachment parenting, etc. So, it just might be family medicine for me...

:love::love::thumbup::thumbup:

This is the route I'm considering as well. I was going OB (hence the moniker):thumbup: until my cesarean 3 months ago. Yowza. I won't even get into that here, but suffice it to say that I find no excitement or potential for satisfaction in the idea of cutting into pregnant women and contributing to the ridiculous cesarean rate. Being an AP parent myself, I also like the idea of following families and supporting them (I can support mainstream parents too, no problem, but AP parents find a lot less support).

I had abandoned the idea of medicine after my daughter's birth just from the sheer trauma of everything, but I'm coming back to center now and trying to assess what I really want. I'm only 31, I've got plenty of time. :smuggrin:

I am only a freshman in college but I am definitely leaning to Ophthalmology right now- to me the eye is one of the coolest organs in the body. :cool:

Too bad it is apparently one of the more competitive residencies to match into- or so I've heard.

i'm shocked that there isn't many of us here but count me in for NEUROLOGY!!

I'm glad to see someone else interested in neuro. There aren't too many at my school. The bright side is that it means less competition.

Orthopaedic Surgery---> Spine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked Emergency Medicine. I was an EMT and it was the best job ever! I love the range of medical cases that you get in EM. Additionally Im also interested in Forensic Pathology. My dream is to be the medical examiner for NYC... (sigh) hehe.

I feel deciding is gonna be the hardest part of Medical School, I'd ideally like something with direct patient contact...some ideas so far...

Surgery:
-Orthopedic Trauma
-Ortho
-Trauma
-Plastics
-Cardiothoracic
-Colorectal
-Vascular
Internal Medicine:
-Gastroenterology
-Cardiology
EM
Psychiatry

Probably not:
-Radiology
-Anesthesiology
-Pathology
-ENT
-Peds
-Neuro
-Optho
-OB/Gyn

I can't wait to find out:thumbup:...

most of you hae probably seen this before, but thought I'd post and see what people get! Even though I'm not going to UVA for med school....I still love 'em! Sometimes they just have the coolest things!

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

It changes every week I swear...

1. Ortho, if it doesn't work
2. EM:D:thumbup:
3. Internal medicine

peds--neonatology to be specific

i'm young, it could change...but i doubt it.

IM with Critical Care fellowship I would like to be a Hospitalist. If not i want to do ER. I like shift work.

I originally wanted to be a dermatologist, but then i realized the chances of that are slim.. i'm completely counting it out, but I will just have to wait to see what medical school is like for me next year... and i guess more importantly how i do on the boards.

My love right now is adolescent medicine :)

but now i'm also looking at gastroenterology.

Three completely different fields...

I was interested in neurosurgery, but after shadowing a neurosurgeon I find it a bit boring. I won't count it out completely though. Maybe it's because I'm observing and not really doing anything which is why its boring, but I do get a kick out of seeing the patients, so I might lean more towards internal medicine rather than surgery.

c.s.

I'm interested in family medicine or internal medicine. With family medicine, I can reach out to many patients with variety of diseases.

I was originally interested in peds, but now I'm following a DO family doc and am loving it so maybe family medicine is for me :love:

OTHER: Dentistry.... what is it with this forum...?? Dents get no love :S :rolleyes:

I'm definently leaning towards going into peds right now. Like you all said that can change but right now peds is it for me.

1. Ortho:D.......I saw a hip replacement surgery and I loved all the sawing and drilling.
2. Ophth
3. Pain management
4. Pathology
5. General surgery

Who the f*ck knows, just get me in

I co-sign with slicknick on the get me in statement.
But...radiology. ;)

I'm surprised Emergency Medicine is getting a lot of love.

Emergency Medicine
Neurosurgery
Pediatrics
Neurology
Plastic Surgery

My top 5. Wish me luck narrowing it down (although I have A LOT of years to decide) :)

Forensic pathology ^_^

It's like doing surgery without potentially hurting anyone.

Anesthesiology Rocks

Really want to do rad onc...it's gonna be really hard though. When I see pictures on rad onc residents there are so few of us...

DERMATOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta get my hustle up;)

^I'm curious. What about the field of dermatology interests you?

I'm certainly not sure of my field, but lately I've been thinking of surgery -- maybe cardio or neuro? I dunno. :p

A great way to avoid razor bumps is depillatories & exfoliation. I know some guys who use these methods (rather than shaving) and never get razor bumps. ;)

Are you familiar with Dr. Susan Taylor? There is certainly a lack of research on black skin care issues -- hyperpigmentation, keloids, etc. I hear there's a new laser that is safe for Black skin...

I don't think I've come across a single person who has a passion per se for skin. :laugh: It does seem to be more of a lifestyle choice so your reasons are certainly valid.

I could see you in plastics. You have that type of e-personality. :D

I would love to do psychiatry in addition to a sleep medicine fellowship....but that might change once I get to med school:xf:

Last edited:
when I took the poll, sometime last year I guess, I put 'plastic surgery'. It seems so long ago that I wanted to be a plastic surgeon. Since then I've wanted to be a neurosurgeon, a general surgeon, a cardio/thoracic surgeon, a neurologist, or internist. For the moment I'm thinking either endocrinology or neurology. But next year I may have to edit this post again, lol.

Lys

I'm another for peds w/fellowship in neonatology but also thinking about EM.

EM:soexcited:
IM
FP
Seems fitting for going to DO school

I didn't want to post in this thread until I got into med school but now that I have, I'm going to say Cardiothoracic Surgery :love:. Let the Journey begin.

Pathology:)

I am a Medical Technologist and I am hoping that this will encompass what I do plus more....but who knows once I get in things may change.:cool: