Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Leaning towards Radiology for now, anybody else?
Maybe interventional rads . . . boy are those lead suits stylish! :cool:

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
neurosurgery, but I changed my college major 3 times, so it's likely to change

MoCookiess

Hater of Biochemistry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Status
I'm thinking trauma surgery or maybe Peds ER.

About the Ads

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
Emergency Medicine is at the top of my list :clap:, but I know that I may change my mind once I get into medical school...

Whatever field of medicine I decide to enter into, I know that I'd still like to continue teaching..perhaps becoming a medical professor.. :idea:

mackaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
urology :)

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Pediatrics right now, but that may change after rotations and after I see all those loans piling up.

G0S2

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Internal Med-Hem/Onc

Lion-O

Sight beyond sight.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
Status
At one school I interviewed at the student guides told us that most people change their minds after rotations. This makes sense to me as, at least in my case, I don't know too much about what each specialty entails.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Emergency Medicine . . . I have a had fleeting thoughts of being a trauma surgeon too.

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
EM! Variety in patients and diseases. Shift work. I like the generality of primary care with trauma mixed in to spice it up. No practice to build so I can move anytime to anyplace. Working nights and weekends and holidays don't bother me. Possibility to go part time early on in life and therefore hopefully working the rest of my life and not burning out. Scheduling work however I want (i.e. could work two weeks out of the month to fit in some missionary trips.) Procedures. Saving lives. Three-year residency.

Sign me up.

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
Emergency Medicine really interests me...but like everyone else has said, we'll see if i change my mind ;)

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
peds heme/onc
maybe
peds em

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
wow, lots of EM/trauma folks out there. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the longest running medical TV show has the title "ER" and not "OR" or "ENT" or...well, you get the idea? Just a thought, not judging.

About the Ads

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Benjo said:
wow, lots of EM/trauma folks out there. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the longest running medical TV show has the title "ER" and not "OR" or "ENT" or...well, you get the idea? Just a thought, not judging.
"ER" is nothing like real emergency medicine. I hope most of us who are thinking of going into the field have spent some time in a real ED, and if not I'm sure some minds will be changing after the ER rotation.

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
yea, that was my point, Celticmists--"ER" in no way resembles any ER. But, the show does color perceptions of medicine, even by those that have a more enlightened view of how things actually work. It's inevitable.
If they made a show glamourizing the life and practice of urologists, I would wager, more people would strive to shadow urologists, and urology would be a big pre-med aspiration, until rotations come around.
Just a thought.

cytotech27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
New Haven, CT
Visit site
Status
I want to specialize in pathology, but was always interested in public health. Does anyone know if the docs that work at the CDC or WHO have specialties in public health? I've never heard of speciality in that area, but what would their speciality be...infectious disease, IM??

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Either FP-urgent care or Ophthalmology. A moral dilemma of sorts.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
cytotech27 said:
I want to specialize in pathology, but was always interested in public health. Does anyone know if the docs that work at the CDC or WHO have specialties in public health? I've never heard of speciality in that area, but what would their speciality be...infectious disease, IM??
You could do an IM with a Infectious Diease Fellowship (2 yr). I met several while working at the CA Dept.of Health. The ID Fellows did a stint at the STD control center. You'll definitely get PH training as an ID fellow.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
i still doubt that if there was a glamourized show about urologists....id be running to be one.

"UR"? no.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AlreadyInDebt said:
Me three, although insurance concerns have been making me second guess myself. Geriatrics runs a close second, but ask me again after my rotations ;)

Me four (ob/gyn)- why is it the specialty that helps women is the one that is suffering the most - well surgery too - Somethings gotta give - let's hope the wheels of change have begun to turn by the time I'm in the position where I'd have to worry.

About the Ads

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My initial choice is to go into one of the primary care specialties... initially wanted to do Family Practice, but I'm leaning toward Medicine.

VCMM414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Brickhouse said:
Me four (ob/gyn)- why is it the specialty that helps women is the one that is suffering the most
mostly because of ob I think, not gyn. obstetrics is simply a risky field. you should know that ob/gyn docs do NOT have to practice obstetrics if they don't want to (after finishing residency, of course)

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2002
LAS <---> BOS
Visit site
Status
Neurosurgery. :thumbup:

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status
jlee9531 said:
peds heme/onc
maybe
peds em

Exactly the same for me too! :clap:

Elizabeth1028

busy busy bee
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Peds ... maybe a peds subspecialty. :)

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
Initially it was IM but I'm leaning toward heme/onc.
Does anyone know if there is a high burnout rate for oncologists from constantly dealing with terminally ill patients?

lizzylu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
SF
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lord, who knows yet. However I'm thinking Optho w/ a Neuro emphasis. Yea for the brain/CNS! :)

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ENT - very cool stuff. i also like that it's big on research (well, i guess most surg subspecialties are)

aydinhatemi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
For me life is radiology. I will kill to be in that specialty:)) just a joke
However I am a geek (CS and EE major) and also like the money and easy life style.

chameleonknight

Friggin go away, freaks.
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dermatology. :D

Nah, that would be nice, especially if I got to do some minor surgery.

I think I'll probably end up in Gas or Gen. Surg.

emily69

going a bit crazy here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
ventulus18 said:
i just saw an ad on TV and im stoked......hair transplant for me! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I thought maybe hair removal... I could use it some of that on my back. But wait, I only need to become an aesthetician for that.

About the Ads