what speciality do you think your gonna do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im thinking of pathology.

Members don't see this ad.

Internal Medicine.

Possibly sub-specializing in infectious diseases.

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you both decide? i picked mine out of a hat.

probably something with kids....but who knows

kristabel said:
Me too!!! :D

Me three, although insurance concerns have been making me second guess myself. Geriatrics runs a close second, but ask me again after my rotations ;)

Pediatrics for sure, kids are da future!

Leaning towards Radiology for now, anybody else?
Maybe interventional rads . . . boy are those lead suits stylish! :cool:

neurosurgery, but I changed my college major 3 times, so it's likely to change

I'm thinking trauma surgery or maybe Peds ER.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency Medicine is at the top of my list :clap:, but I know that I may change my mind once I get into medical school...

Whatever field of medicine I decide to enter into, I know that I'd still like to continue teaching..perhaps becoming a medical professor.. :idea:

Pediatrics right now, but that may change after rotations and after I see all those loans piling up.

At one school I interviewed at the student guides told us that most people change their minds after rotations. This makes sense to me as, at least in my case, I don't know too much about what each specialty entails.

Emergency Medicine . . . I have a had fleeting thoughts of being a trauma surgeon too.

EM! Variety in patients and diseases. Shift work. I like the generality of primary care with trauma mixed in to spice it up. No practice to build so I can move anytime to anyplace. Working nights and weekends and holidays don't bother me. Possibility to go part time early on in life and therefore hopefully working the rest of my life and not burning out. Scheduling work however I want (i.e. could work two weeks out of the month to fit in some missionary trips.) Procedures. Saving lives. Three-year residency.

Sign me up.

wow, lots of EM/trauma folks out there. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the longest running medical TV show has the title "ER" and not "OR" or "ENT" or...well, you get the idea? Just a thought, not judging.

Benjo said:
wow, lots of EM/trauma folks out there. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that the longest running medical TV show has the title "ER" and not "OR" or "ENT" or...well, you get the idea? Just a thought, not judging.

"ER" is nothing like real emergency medicine. I hope most of us who are thinking of going into the field have spent some time in a real ED, and if not I'm sure some minds will be changing after the ER rotation.

yea, that was my point, Celticmists--"ER" in no way resembles any ER. But, the show does color perceptions of medicine, even by those that have a more enlightened view of how things actually work. It's inevitable.
If they made a show glamourizing the life and practice of urologists, I would wager, more people would strive to shadow urologists, and urology would be a big pre-med aspiration, until rotations come around.
Just a thought.

I want to specialize in pathology, but was always interested in public health. Does anyone know if the docs that work at the CDC or WHO have specialties in public health? I've never heard of speciality in that area, but what would their speciality be...infectious disease, IM??

Either FP-urgent care or Ophthalmology. A moral dilemma of sorts.

cytotech27 said:
I want to specialize in pathology, but was always interested in public health. Does anyone know if the docs that work at the CDC or WHO have specialties in public health? I've never heard of speciality in that area, but what would their speciality be...infectious disease, IM??

You could do an IM with a Infectious Diease Fellowship (2 yr). I met several while working at the CA Dept.of Health. The ID Fellows did a stint at the STD control center. You'll definitely get PH training as an ID fellow.

i still doubt that if there was a glamourized show about urologists....id be running to be one.

"UR"? no.

Trekkie and Tony M.,

Count me in for ID

Cheers!
rmp

AlreadyInDebt said:
Me three, although insurance concerns have been making me second guess myself. Geriatrics runs a close second, but ask me again after my rotations ;)

Me four (ob/gyn)- why is it the specialty that helps women is the one that is suffering the most - well surgery too - Somethings gotta give - let's hope the wheels of change have begun to turn by the time I'm in the position where I'd have to worry.

either Anesthesiology or become a GI.

My initial choice is to go into one of the primary care specialties... initially wanted to do Family Practice, but I'm leaning toward Medicine.

Brickhouse said:
Me four (ob/gyn)- why is it the specialty that helps women is the one that is suffering the most

mostly because of ob I think, not gyn. obstetrics is simply a risky field. you should know that ob/gyn docs do NOT have to practice obstetrics if they don't want to (after finishing residency, of course)

Neurosurgery. :thumbup:

jlee9531 said:
peds heme/onc
maybe
peds em

Exactly the same for me too! :clap:

Neurology! :)

also still considering endocrinology and heme/onc.

Initially it was IM but I'm leaning toward heme/onc.
Does anyone know if there is a high burnout rate for oncologists from constantly dealing with terminally ill patients?

If I had to choose, it would be ophthalmology.

Lord, who knows yet. However I'm thinking Optho w/ a Neuro emphasis. Yea for the brain/CNS! :)

ENT - very cool stuff. i also like that it's big on research (well, i guess most surg subspecialties are)

Hepatology is interesting because my father had a liver transplant. Also neurology or cardiology would be fascinating.

For me life is radiology. I will kill to be in that specialty:)) just a joke
However I am a geek (CS and EE major) and also like the money and easy life style.

Dermatology. :D

Nah, that would be nice, especially if I got to do some minor surgery.

I think I'll probably end up in Gas or Gen. Surg.

ventulus18 said:
i just saw an ad on TV and im stoked......hair transplant for me! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I thought maybe hair removal... I could use it some of that on my back. But wait, I only need to become an aesthetician for that.