what speciality do you think your gonna do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Elizabeth1028 said:
Peds ... maybe a peds subspecialty. :)

rock on...gotta love the peds support! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

:p wow so many people are into pediatrics. I'm interested in neurology possibly geriatric neurology. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAH UROLOGY! Sorry, my favorite doctor is my urologist at Hopkins. Coolest man you'll ever met, cheery doctor.

I will be into OB/GYN, want the OB side much more so I plan on sub-specializing in maternal-fetal.

-Liz

Ophtho all the way.

Med/peds...quite possilby ID afterwards...
Never known so many people psyched about ID - yay!!! :)

Who knows though...maybe FP, radiology has some nice benefits...I guess I have a little time to decide...

terpgirl said:
YEAH UROLOGY! Sorry, my favorite doctor is my urologist at Hopkins. Coolest man you'll ever met, cheery doctor.

I will be into OB/GYN, want the OB side much more so I plan on sub-specializing in maternal-fetal.

-Liz

Wouldnt happen to be the chief of urology would it? (Dr. Walsh)

I've worked with a lot of Heme/Onc's as an undergrad and that always seemed cool, but now I'm starting to get interested in Rad. Onc.

Guess I won't know until rotations:D

Obstetrics! I love pregnant women and their babies. :)

I think PM & R for me.... and specialize in sports med :D

surgery or radiology or neuro......can't decide.

there's a good book, "choosing a medical specialty", by brian freeman, that gives a little spiel about each specialty and what to think about when deciding. due to the way the match and stuff works, he recommends people's having a good idea of what they want even before rotations (partly so you know what to get really good grades in, and which professors' asses to kiss for LORs :) ). but you don't need to know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
cardiology seems interesting, specifically electrophysio

I'm thinking something that I can deal with neurological dysfunction...
PM&R, neurology, neurosurgery (long hours, long residency, but my absolute dream), inter. rads....

Good luck to all!

dc

lately, i think psych.

i change my mind a lot though....

I'm thinkin general IM. Good variety of pathologies and not overly stressful.

I don't want to do a residency. I think that I'll come up with an herbal supplement (made from crabgrass in my yard) and write a best-selling diet book called "Give Me Your Money and You Won't Have Enough to Over-eat." JK :)

But seriously, I'm think I might do the following:

Optho-Went to several grand rounds, thought it was cool
Derm-Yeah, probably not a chance
Radiology-technology is neato
Emergency Med-Never a dull day
Internal Medicine-Lots of different stuff

But, I don't really know and don't pretend to. I'll figure it out after the 2nd year.

Emergency Medicine (may trauma surgery). <<Paramedic for 7 years. It's why I decided to do medicine.

Neurology or Psychiatry. Probably neurology.

Emergency Medicine

Of course, I know it could change once I get in and go through rotations. I've already changed my mind once (always wanted to be a pediatrician)

we shall see! ;)

After working for 7+ years as a paramedic on and ambulacne and in the ER, I know for sure I will never do ER! 24 hour clinic is all the er is these days. No one goes to their GP anymore. I think I like cardiothorasic Surgery, but if I can have my way, I'll be a General Surgeon in the Army :thumbup:

I feel the most called towards pediatrics, but if I enjoy surgery and think I can handle the years of residency I will try to do pediatric surgery instead.

Internal medicine with a subspecialty in infectious disease. I'm quite surprized there are so many people interested in the same thing - but it's great!

Has anyone done the Careers in Medicine thing on AAMC? I'm curious what will come up cause right now I have no clue as to what specialty I want.

I originally thought peds... but I've worked with peds and although I love kids more than anything, I don't see myself treating them out of fear of becoming a paranoid parent.

Then I thought PM&R but I'm not a fan of the rehab part of it (ironic!).

I thought Orthopedics but I'm not sure if my bad low back would be able to take hours and hours of surgery.

When I did my PT rotations, the one population I worked with and LOVED consistently were athletes but that entails family practice, and with 320K of debt, I doubt I'll choose that simply because of the money issue (sad but true).

I'm not a fan of microbio, path, histo related things like medical genetics, or pathology.

I wouldn't mind integrative medicine cause it sounds cooler than anything out there, but I'm not sure what kind of residency that entails and what the salary is.

I thought anesthesiology might be nice but I'm not sure if I feel like the God awful morning hours of surgery.

I've never been a fan of the digestive system so GI is probably out.

Optho seems cool but I hear it's insanely competitive to get a residency.

Derm is neat, but again about the competitiveness of residency.

Radiology is cool but I think I'd want more patient contact than what they have.

Psych is definitely out of the picture because I don't have the emotional stamina to work with that population.

OB/GYN is a probable no cause... well... let's just leave it at that :oops:

And the reason I typed all this stuff out is cause I'm sure I'll look back on it in three years and go... HOLY COW... I didn't like ____ or I can't believe I didn't think about _____ or amazing what I learned during my _____ rotation.

I think the best thing anyone ever told me was from my interviewer at GW. He said that if you go into med school having no clue what your specialty will be, you tend to pay attention more in all your classes vs. those that only apply in a speciality of choice. He said something along the lines of... how many ortho's really pay attention in psych :) I thought it was funny!

General Surgery is #1 on my list.

Surprisingly, IM & Infectious Disease runs a close second.

We'll see once I hit third year :eek: . Good Luck, All!

NOT surgery. NOT psych.

HemeOnc, Neuro, Liver, Nephrolog...

Emerg MEd, IM

Dermatology or Internal medicine sub-specialty, either a with Nutrition Focus.

b

maybe pm&r or psych...or whatever is the easiest...holla!

Either Cardiology or Allergy/Immunology. But the future is wide open.