What specialties are known for patients with the best and worst patient compliance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPFC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialties tend to see high and low patient compliance? I would imagine that oncology would see relatively high patient compliance (in terms of following prescribed treatments, not missing appointments in outpatient, etc.). Just curious! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a clinician, but I believe that pulmonologists would probably deal the most with compliance issues. All of those emphysema/COPD cases have high compliance, while the fibrosis ones probably wouldn't have as much.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Money is a pretty strong and universal motivator. I've seen a lot of people not renew prescriptions for glaucoma drops because they were too expensive, and their vision subsequently turned to ****.

I think that intensive care has the worst patient compliance ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I literally treat patients covered in their own feces.

One patient was so obese they just started pooping where they were sitting and throwing it in a corner of their home, making a poop pile. We were wondering what the breaking point was from taking more effort to get up and use the toilet as opposed to just throwing poop around the house.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I literally treat patients covered in their own feces.

One patient was so obese they just started pooping where they were sitting and throwing it in a corner of their home, making a poop pile. We were wondering what the breaking point was from taking more effort to get up and use the toilet as opposed to just throwing poop around the house.

What the fudge?!!
I just wanna know if they wash their hands.

Which specialties tend to see high and low patient compliance? I would imagine that oncology would see relatively high patient compliance (in terms of following prescribed treatments, not missing appointments in outpatient, etc.). Just curious! Thanks.

I'll add cardiology for highest compliance. Because if they're not compliant they're not your patient for long...

'cause they dead

Reactions: 1 users
Best compliance is Derm bc everyone is self conscious of their appearances.

What the fudge?!!
I just wanna know if they wash their hands.
Doubtful. I’ve treated a few hoarders too. Sometimes they will bring collections of stool and urine with them in bags.

The show “Hoarders” is pretty interesting and you can see the deep running psychiatric illness manifest in the house.