What specialties are safe for completing an AOA residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am told that anesthesia needs to be completed in an ACGME program unless absolutely impossible otherwise, as AOA residencies will severely limit your marketability. I've read on here that with specialties like ortho, it doesn't really matter. I would assume the same to be true for IM/FP also.

What specialties are safe for AOA and what should be avoided?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe most, if not all gas programs are dual accredited. I also think most residencies are pretty much fine, however if you want to practice right after. If you want to do something else, such as a fellowship or maybe research/academic medicine... it might be better to attend an ACGME residency.

I am told that anesthesia needs to be completed in an ACGME program unless absolutely impossible otherwise, as AOA residencies will severely limit your marketability. I've read on here that with specialties like ortho, it doesn't really matter. I would assume the same to be true for IM/FP also.

What specialties are safe for AOA and what should be avoided?

I have heard that too.... I have no idea why. Why would gas,of all specialties, would be the one where it matters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I just did a search. Apparently it is because DO anesthesiology programs are usually mediocre and don't train you well enough for the boards. The ABS boards are apparently a gold standard, without which you limit yourself to some regard as some practices will not accept AOA board certification. Also apparently the AOA board is supposed to be significantly simpler than the ABS board and thus easier.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795103&highlight=osteopathic

Ok, I just did a search. Apparently it is because DO anesthesiology programs are usually mediocre and don't train you well enough for the boards. The ABS boards are apparently a gold standard, without which you limit yourself to some regard.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795103&highlight=osteopathic

That's still weird. I mean, why would DO anesthesiology programs be mediocre and the rest just fine? Oh well, I guess ACGME is pretty well within the reach of most DO students.

BTW, apprently none of the AOA gas spots are dual accredited. I check the opportunities.osteopathic site.

That's still weird. I mean, why would DO anesthesiology programs be mediocre and the rest just fine? Oh well, I guess ACGME is pretty well within the reach of most DO students.

BTW, apprently none of the AOA gas spots are dual accredited. I check the opportunities.osteopathic site.

Not a clue, but apparently there is an evident bias which even DO anesthesiologists claim is rightfully there. I think this might be because of DO programs being more community programs and thus they don't get adequate critical care situations and as such don't get as heavily advanced training, which the ABS board tests. This is of course just off the top of my head though, so I could and more than likely am wrong.

shouldn't matter anyways. just take the usmle and you should be fine for gas. otherwise any AOA accredited residency should most definitely get you a job after completion.

also some sites offer fellowships as well.

Can I still take ABA boards after completing an aoa residency?

Pretty much all but Gas from what I've read on these forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO Anes, Psych, PMR, Neuro not worth doing

Path is MD only

Does AOA actually have PMnR? I know its not the same residency, but I always assumed PMnR was an ACGME thing that the AOA skipped over because they have NMM. If you are confident in your OMT and are at least a decent applicant, I've anecdotally heard PMnR loves DOs. Which sort of makes sense logically.

Confirm that AOA has its own PMnR (which seems silly as its just a more drug-focused NMM then)

Does AOA actually have PMnR? I know its not the same residency, but I always assumed PMnR was an ACGME thing that the AOA skipped over because they have NMM. If you are confident in your OMT and are at least a decent applicant, I've anecdotally heard PMnR loves DOs. Which sort of makes sense logically.

Confirm that AOA has its own PMnR (which seems silly as its just a more drug-focused NMM then)

Yeah, UW one year had a class with about 3 or so residents in PMR from DMU.

Neurology or neurosurgery?

Neurology.

About PMR and others noted above:
MD programs give your more broad training, ICU/critical care experience, more research, more diverse pt population and pathology, etc.

More numerous and yes, DO friendly, too.

Last edited:

yup nycom, msu both have pmr residencies. nycom's is dual aoa/acgme at NUMC in LI.
rumor is that umdnj is looking to open another one up in nj.

PM&R DO residencies are bad?

I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of DO residencies in PM&R and they are almost all duel-accredited so it doesn't matter. Also, PMR is unique in that it's probably one of the only fields where DOs face absolutely zero bias in any ACGME program.

There's very little bias in gas as well (in terms of getting into ACGME residency; there is a bias that ABA certification is superior compared to AOA among most). Probably in no small part due to the fact that MDs and DOs don't have time to be fighting over initials when they have bigger political issues at stake with the nurse anesthetists

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of DO residencies in PM&R and they are almost all duel-accredited so it doesn't matter. Also, PMR is unique in that it's probably one of the only fields where DOs face absolutely zero bias in any ACGME program.

There's very little bias in gas as well. Probably in no small part due to the fact that MDs and DOs don't have time to be fighting over initials when they have bigger political issues at stake with the nurse anesthetists

From what ive heard most surgical subspecialties are at good programs except for a couple here and there. There are some really good general surgery programs, some mediocre, and some not so good. For whatever reason DO surgical residencies tend to be better than non-surgical ones. Maybe its because they attract stronger applicants since non-surgical fields are pretty receptive to DO's in the allopathic match while there is more bias in surgical fields. Maybe its because community hospitals are good places to train surgeons but not so great to train other specialties. Maybe its just that it doesnt matter if they are good programs or not. If you can match DO optho, urology, plastics, etc. your are gonna take that spot no matter how good/bad the program is. Same thing for derm.

From what ive heard most surgical subspecialties are at good programs except for a couple here and there. There are some really good general surgery programs, some mediocre, and some not so good. For whatever reason DO surgical residencies tend to be better than non-surgical ones. Maybe its because they attract stronger applicants since non-surgical fields are pretty receptive to DO's in the allopathic match while there is more bias in surgical fields. Maybe its because community hospitals are good places to train surgeons but not so great to train other specialties. Maybe its just that it doesnt matter if they are good programs or not. If you can match DO optho, urology, plastics, etc. your are gonna take that spot no matter how good/bad the program is. Same thing for derm.

It seems like derm is something where you could see lots of pathology just about anywhere... be it the Mayo Clinic or some random community program.