What specialties do DO's have a fair chance of getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowyoudont

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean like, what specialties do DO's have a GOOD chance of matching?

I know, I know they can match all of them...

But come on, how realistic is it that a DO matches dermatology, or say plastic surgery?

So, what specialties do DO's have a good chance of matching?

Members don't see this ad.

But come on, how realistic is it that a DO matches dermatology, or say plastic surgery?

I need to take 2 gap years after college to save up for the AMCAS and interviews. I live on the west coast, so interviewing is more expensive, to fly out everywhere.
Thing is, jobs in a lab are kind of scarce around here. So I'm not sure if I can get one.
But, I know I can get SOME sort of full-time job after graduating, even if it has to do with being in an office, or perhaps even a pharmacy technician.

Matching derm or plastics is the least of your worries.

Reactions: 4 users
Derm and plastics are the easiest specialties to match as a DO. Easier than PCP believe it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
do a google search on this. literally, there have been quite a few threads on this topic lately. people are tired of responding to these inquiries on a daily basis.

Whether you go MD or DO, matching Derm or Plastic is highly unlikely. Less than 3% of MD grads matched either Derm or Integrated Plastics last year.

Whether you go MD or DO, matching Derm or Plastic is highly unlikely. Less than 3% of MD grads matched either Derm or Integrated Plastics last year.
I thought most went the ENT/Plastics route?

For plastics, the practical route as a DO would be to do a general surgery residency followed by a plastics fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user

Ortho, EM, Anesthesia, osteo rads, osteo derm, any of the IM subspecialties so long as you match a mid tower ACGME IM program, osteo neurosurgery... you have a decent shot of any profession if you want it, aside from plastics (osteo ENT/plastics has certification issues on the plastics side of things) and highly competitive ACGME: urology, optho, and derm.

I would really encourage you to do a Google search with site:studentdoctor.net pasted onto the end. It works infinitely better than the integrated search.

Mods... please sticky:

It's realistic, as a DO, to match at:

A top tier pyschiatry, family medicine, anesthesia, PM&R or pathology program.

A mid-tier internal medicine, neurology, pediatric, Ob/gyn or emergency medicine program

A mid to low tier general surgery or radiology program.

It's also realistic to match AOA orthopedics and general surgery, as well as emergency medicine, family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, psych and Ob/gyn.

It's unrealistic to match Acgme orthopedics, neurosurgery, urology, ENT, derm, radiation oncology and plastic surgery. Opthamology may or may not be unrealistic (not enough data to determine).

It's unrealistic to match aoa surgical subspecialities, except for aoa general surgery and orthopedics, because there are so few spots ( 14 neurosurgery, 24 ENT, 17 urology, and 15 opthamology). This is in contrast to the 135 general surgery spots and 100 orthopedic spots offered last year.

Similar there are few AOA anesthesia, radiology, and derm spots (about 30 for each speciality). However, acgme anesthesia is very DO friendly and acgme radiology is pretty DO friendly. AOA derm is weird because you don't apply as a 4th year, you apply as an intern, so I don't know how realistic aoa derm is.

pm&r ---> Sports medicine. or basically any of the pm&r subspecialties. DOs are very competitive at top tier pm&r residencies

Since when were top tier Anesthesiology residencies open to DO's?

Last edited:
I would say that , for the surgery sub, ortho if you try hard enough.

PMR-> pain is DO friendly as well.

But seriously.. We shouldn't really worry about it yet. Board scores are what we should strive to get... THEN pick the specialty that you qualify for and are most interested.

Moping off the floor of medical procedures!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk