what specialties I rule out with this score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone..

I realize that even as I type this, I know I'm going to come across as a total jerk... but please bear with me.

I just received my step 1 score of 234/98.... i realize I should be happy (and I am), but I was consistently scoring in the 240s on practice tests and half of me can't help but feel disappointed.

My question is, with this score, what specialties can I rule out?
I am a student at Ross University, which is a Caribbean school... hence I am already at a major disadvantage.

I was originally considering Radiology, Anesthesia, and Ophthalmology. Are these still within my reach?

please advise,
if you feel the need to insult me, you are more than welcomed to... just include some constructive advise as well.
it would be much appreciated,
thanks,
Heather.

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone..

I realize that even as I type this, I know I'm going to come across as a total jerk... but please bear with me.

I just received my step 1 score of 234/98.... i realize I should be happy (and I am), but I was consistently scoring in the 240s on practice tests and half of me can't help but feel disappointed.

My question is, with this score, what specialties can I rule out?
I am a student at Ross University, which is a Caribbean school... hence I am already at a major disadvantage.

I was originally considering Radiology, Anesthesia, and Ophthalmology. Are these still within my reach?

please advise,
if you feel the need to insult me, you are more than welcomed to... just include some constructive advise as well.
it would be much appreciated,
thanks,
Heather.

Ok, you're fine for anesthesia. Rads and Oph will be considerably more difficult to get into...honestly, gas is amazing, you should be happy!

you think i'm still good for anesthesia being a carribbean student?

Well, I think you can get in...probably not at the top programs, but I can't say for sure. I'm a MSIII too. I saw that Stanford's average step 1 for gas was 237. They might want 10 more points from IMGs...not sure though...I'm just openly speculating with you. I'm interested in gas too. There average last year was like 220 nationally...but I think it's going to get more competitive over the next few years!

Rads is very challenging. I've been considering it too, but I think I might be better at gas since gas has a lot of physio and pharm. For rads, a lot of the programs have high cut-offs. Oph would be challenging too.

I don't think you're limited to anything per se...I'm just giving you my thoughts about what's most probable in terms of success.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should pick a specialty based on what you like. Since you are just starting your cores (or have just started) you may be surprised what you will really enjoy.

Your score is very good... congrats.

no matter what score you got rads and optho were probably out of the question. gas may be possible at a lesser program

Can I not get an anesthesia residency at a mid tier to upper level program? I thought step average for gas was in the mid to low 220s? Oh goodness, I guess the 98 was not as good as I thought it was! I didn't realize my score was so average! there goes my momentary boost in self esteem. Do I have a shot at emergency med or PM&R?

Does anybody have any recommendations for what I might have a good chance of getting other than IM, FM, psych, and OBGYN? I'm not putting these down, I just know they have a more lenient score policy. I haven't started rotations so I'm not in love with anything yet.

thank you once again for all your help
I really appreciate it!
I want to apologize again if I offend anyone. It truly is not my intention. I'm just a little lost.

Can I not get an anesthesia residency at a mid tier to upper level program? I thought step average for gas was in the mid to low 220s? Oh goodness, I guess the 98 was not as good as I thought it was! I didn't realize my score was so average! there goes my momentary boost in self esteem. Do I have a shot at emergency med or PM&R?

Does anybody have any recommendations for what I might have a good chance of getting other than IM, FM, psych, and OBGYN? I'm not putting these down, I just know they have a more lenient score policy. I haven't started rotations so I'm not in love with anything yet.

thank you once again for all your help
I really appreciate it!
I want to apologize again if I offend anyone. It truly is not my intention. I'm just a little lost.

you have a good shot and thats a good score it's just coming from the islands there's just more up in the air even with a good score like yours. good luck.

Dude if you have 1-2 research papers, good USCE & LORs, and no other red flags in your CV, you can even match into ortho, rads or ophtho with this. There is so much to an application than just the score.
And even IM, Psych, FM at top-mid programs can be out of reach with any score, if the overall application does not comes out to be good or if you have a dismal interview.

So STOP thinking about variables which are not in your hand right now and continue to work towards your goal. IMO, if someone is passionate about something, then he/she should go all guns blazing towards the goal.

Dude if you have 1-2 research papers, good USCE & LORs, and no other red flags in your CV, you can even match into ortho, rads or ophtho with this. There is so much to an application than just the score.
And even IM, Psych, FM at top-mid programs can be out of reach with any score, if the overall application does not comes out to be good or if you have a dismal interview.

So STOP thinking about variables which are not in your hand right now and continue to work towards your goal. IMO, if someone is passionate about something, then he/she should go all guns blazing towards the goal.

This message should be a sticky,specially to overworriers. :thumbup: