What specialty can you NOT see yourself in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty can you not see yourself in in a million years?

• Allergy/Immunology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Anesthesiology

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Cardiology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Colorectal Surgery

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 26 4.5%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 28 4.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Hem/Onc

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Infectious Disease

• Internal Medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nephrology

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Neurology

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Ob/Gyn

Votes: 137 23.8%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Orthopedic Surgery

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Pathology

Votes: 29 5.0%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 52 9.0%
  • PM&R

• Plastic Surgery

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 59 10.3%
  • Pulmonology/Critical Care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radiology

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Rheumatology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Urology

Votes: 13 2.3%
  • Another medical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• Another surgical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• I haven't ruled out any specialty yet.

Votes: 42 7.3%

• Total voters
OB/GYN: As a man, I like this region of the female body, but I think after years of dealing with them I would have no sex drive any more...:p

I did actually shadow an OB/GYN and found the field fascinating. I love how it combines some surgery and some primary care, but I just couldn't do it as a career.

I feel like it would make one's wife sooo jealous. As I see it, it's not worth it on that basis alone.

Members don't see this ad.

peds and geriatrics. i'm not good with kids or old people :oops:. also not interested in family medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like it would make one's wife sooo jealous. As I see it, it's not worth it on that basis alone.

someone's wife would have to be pretty immature to be jealous of her husband being an OB/GYN

Ob/Gyn -Nope
Anesthesiology -Seems boring, rather be doing the operation
Derm -I just have this thing against skin incisions

i plan on it.

i can believe that dermatologists are important in recognizing skin cancers. i do not believe that dermatologists are important in treating skin cancers (usually).

seems like it's mostly a cosmetic field.

Wrong. Mohs surgeons are dermatologists with a Mohs fellowship year.

And anyone who thinks derms only treat pimples, have not spent any time with a good dermatologist.

Besides finding skin cancer, they are also pretty good at screening for general medical issues. Many times a patient's initial presentation of a systemic disease is on their skin.

definitely Peds...I can't deal with crying, screaming kids :/

I'm sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
"Oh honey you get to palpate ovaries and check rectums every day. I wish you would perform that on me!" Or are you saying she would wish SHE would be the one doing the exams?

With that being said, I do NOT want to do OB/GYN, optho, or family practice/primary care. Eyes are the one thing that gross me out. Sputum can be a little iffy, too, but eyes are gross when there is something wrong with them. PC is just way too general, I don't want to go from runny nose-->STD-->leaky rectum-->skin tag removal-->sprained wrist.

My #1 is surgery (worked in an OR for 3.5 years). I really like neuro but don't think at this point I would be up for a 10 yr residency. I guess right now I am thinking general or a combined general/plastics which would focus on combined cases like a mastectomy with immediate tissue expander/implant insertion.

Members don't see this ad :)
peds- like kids can't stand the parents

ob/gyn- again parents are too much too deal with plus i don't want to see that view everyday

psych- can't deal with crazy people

derm- don't wanna see scary skin diseases, like someone covered in warts from head to toe.

opth- just no interest.

surgery- don't mind it but just don't think i want to put in the time requirements

i think that's about it

Last edited:
damn....you replied before the edit button even worked....I saw that and changed my post...

No fail....well some....you have GS and FM listed twice..:p
I can live with a little fail. I kept rearranging it as I wanted them in alphabetical order. I don't think I left anything out, though, just repeated a few.

Damn, you're right. I see now I left out EM and Gastro, which were supposed to be one of the ones that's a double of FP and general surgery.

You can't edit polls, can you? I tried and I can't find it.

I think you left out one of the worst: Gastroenterology. Nurse was in a patients room one time and the Gastro was giving some rectal exam. The nurse came out giggling to me that it spurted out onto the doctor and got on his face. She said that he wiped it off and told her it happens all the time. NO THANKS.

I'm still deciding if there is anything worse though.
I'd rather get hit with poo frequently than get hit with it occasionally, work terrible hours, make terrible money as far as medicine goes, get sued constantly, and be generally hated by every patient I saw. Seriously, if it weren't for the 6-figure paycheck, OB/Gyn would be one of the worst jobs I can possibly imagine.

not ruling anything out until im in med school and get to see what everything is like and what i like/dislike

I'm not a fan of OB/Gyn for the reasons previously mentioned on this thread. I want to go into pediatrics :)

I'd rather get hit with poo frequently than get hit with it occasionally, work terrible hours, make terrible money as far as medicine goes, get sued constantly, and be generally hated by every patient I saw. Seriously, if it weren't for the 6-figure paycheck, OB/Gyn would be one of the worst jobs I can possibly imagine.

:thumbup:

I was going to go with derm, but I really can't picture myself working in Otolaryngology; I don't know what that means, so its pretty tough for me to imagine myself doing it, even in a million years. Google time.

Post-googling: Aw snappp its ENT!

I was going to go with derm, but I really can't picture myself working in Otolaryngology; I don't know what that means, so its pretty tough for me to imagine myself doing it, even in a million years. Google time.

ENT is great because of the balance between the clinic and the OR. I'm thinking no for pathology or radiology.

Probably ob/gyn. I just can't see myself doing that.

I'm not a fan of OB/Gyn for the reasons previously mentioned on this thread. I want to go into pediatrics :)

What, no love for babies and vaginas!? Ob/Gyn is quite possibly at the top of my list! :laugh: That's ok, less competition for me. :D

My answer from the blood and guts thread:
As far as my experiences go, I'm good with blood, bone, feces, urine, nasty smells, exposed organs, possibly everything else. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the ONE thing that grosses me out in the most disgusting way more than ANYTHING ELSE is skin diseases. Wanna take a wild guess which specialty is at the top of my Never Ever Would I Ever Do This list?

What, no love for babies and vaginas!? Ob/Gyn is quite possibly at the top of my list! :laugh: That's ok, less competition for me. :D

My answer from the blood and guts thread:

I have been thinking this through the WHOLE thread. :thumbup:

Yep, ear, nose, and throat surgeon. It is very competitive - probably similar to urology. I probably will apply to ent residencies next year so the field definitely has a fan base.

Float on:

AMEN!!

I can handle all the stuff that is typically considered "disgusting" EXCEPT skin diseases. NOTHING grosses me out more! However, I ruled out Pathology because I REALLY, REALLY couldn't see myself doing anything that doesn't involve patient contact. Patient contact is at the top of my list of reasons for wanting to be in medicine. No patient contact, no dice.

Float on:

AMEN!!

I can handle all the stuff that is typically considered "disgusting" EXCEPT skin diseases. NOTHING grosses me out more! However, I ruled out Pathology because I REALLY, REALLY couldn't see myself doing anything that doesn't involve patient contact. Patient contact is at the top of my list of reasons for wanting to be in medicine. No patient contact, no dice.

I saw a pathologist once who told me that they could have all the patient contact they wanted.

And I thought, "yeah, they'll just never talk back."

I'm sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
"Oh honey you get to palpate ovaries and check rectums every day. I wish you would perform that on me!" Or are you saying she would wish SHE would be the one doing the exams?

Whoa. Relax :) I know plenty of women who would be uncomfortable with their husband examining women all day every day as a gynecologist. They're people that aren't going into healthcare, and thus have a different level of understanding than people like us. Don't knock something just because it doesn't make sense to you! *still sees nothing wrong with his statement*

Last edited:
We should have a poll.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping people would just have one or two answers, not a laundry list.

Haha, I just found this thread. It's interesting the variety of fields the same person isn't interested in, though. I want to say I'm open-minded, but I'm pretty picky myself, so to add to derm from the other thread, I would say NO WAY in a million years to neurosurg, path, radiology, and psych. I like kids (and I hope they like me too), but sick kids (and old people) make me sad so peds and geriatrics are out too.

Is there one you think you'll never be interested in in a million years? Why?

For me, it's Ophthalmology. Eyes kinda freak me out. I can handle just about anything else, but something about the eye just gets to me. Maybe I feel like it's looking at me the whole time, but I nearly hurled the last time I had to dissect a cow's eye, especially when the humor spilled out. :barf: And that one bit in Kill Bill 2, forget about it.

I'm with you on this. The closest I'll get to eyes is putting in my own contacts.

Instead of having a week stomach, I have a week foot. My toes cringe when I see something disgusting, and it is very uncomfortable.

After looking through a picture dermatology book... no way.
(Though I guess you get use to the disgusting stuff as you go through med school)

Ob/gyn (unless I guess you are doing the highly surgical gynecological work though but still)
Radiology
Anesthesiology
Family Meds
Neurology
Pediatrics
Psych

i would love to do derm, esp cutaneous oncology/derm surgery

IM and all of its sub specialties - Boring and most of the patients are old farts, no thanks
Family Med - Again, mostly old patients and it's almost all office based visits
Pathology - I want to work with patients
Ob/Gyn - The smell, hormones, and fluids involved...gross...
Psychiatry - Just seems boring
Peds - Can't see myself as that physician who sports a tickle me elmo eraser on his pencil along with all the other gay things in my pocket to cheer kids up while giving them a shot in the butt

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Colorectal surg....even the name grosses me out.

Ob/Gyn -Nope
Anesthesiology -Seems boring, rather be doing the operation
Derm -I just have this thing against skin incisions

How is gas boring? You're the guy keeping the patient alive while the surgeon is effectively killing him. Sounds pretty cool to me :thumbup: