What specialty can you NOT see yourself in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty can you not see yourself in in a million years?

• Allergy/Immunology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Anesthesiology

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Cardiology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Colorectal Surgery

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 26 4.5%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 28 4.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Hem/Onc

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Infectious Disease

• Internal Medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nephrology

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Neurology

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Ob/Gyn

Votes: 137 23.8%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Orthopedic Surgery

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Pathology

Votes: 29 5.0%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 52 9.0%
  • PM&R

• Plastic Surgery

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 59 10.3%
  • Pulmonology/Critical Care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radiology

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Rheumatology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Urology

Votes: 13 2.3%
  • Another medical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• Another surgical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• I haven't ruled out any specialty yet.

Votes: 42 7.3%

• Total voters
I have a lot of respect for Plastic Surgeons, no doubt. I just don't think I could do it.

Oh well, toujours pauvres... or something like that. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

People should visit their own posts when they actually start applying for residency.

It would be interesting to see how many people go into fields they didn't like before med school.

That means I better get ready for X-rays, cause right now I can't stand them. :(

I was going to go with derm, but I really can't picture myself working in Otolaryngology; I don't know what that means, so its pretty tough for me to imagine myself doing it, even in a million years. Google time.

Post-googling: Aw snappp its ENT!

2.5 years later i'd probably say i'm wide open. if someone bumps this thread in another 2.5 years i'll probably be set with where i'm going

Members don't see this ad :)
things will change for every single one of you third year.

i came into it thinking i watned to do neurosurgery - i did research in it, published a few papers and worked with a few attendings / residents in the field. .. . turns out i cant stand the OR - big prob in neurosurgery ... my fav. so far has been radiology with a close second being psychiatry.. who would've thought.

psychiatry--I'd rather be in another field of academics (like business or law) than do this specialty.

things will change for every single one of you third year.

i came into it thinking i watned to do neurosurgery - i did research in it, published a few papers and worked with a few attendings / residents in the field. .. . turns out i cant stand the OR - big prob in neurosurgery ... my fav. so far has been radiology with a close second being psychiatry.. who would've thought.

interesting, when did you find this out? When you shadowed or on rotations?

interesting, when did you find this out? When you shadowed or on rotations?

rotations; shadowing was great. its a different experience when youre scrubbed (youre not doing the surgery, but you are assisting with things like retracting, suction etc. as a medical student)

rotations; shadowing was great. its a different experience when youre scrubbed (youre not doing the surgery, but you are assisting with things like retracting, suction etc. as a medical student)

hmmm thanks! I'm in the same position you were a couple of years ago (pubs, posters, good relationships with people in the field of neurosurgery), so I was curious as to why the change of heart.

OB/Gyn: because I can't see myself looking at vagina all day long and dealing with screaming women
Pediatrics: I don't want to be bother with the entire family tree, LOL
Radiology: Seems dark and boring right now
Anes: Seems too boring and routine
Surgeries: I don't know if I have the hand-eye coordination, but neuro is interesting
derm: unsure if I want to deal with moles, pimples, and whatever weird skin issues that can occur
Nephr, Uro, Gas - can't see myself dealing with excretions and fecal matter AT ALL. Plus, I hate the kidneys anyway.