What specialty do you see yourself going into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty do you see yourself going into?

• Anesthesiology

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 13 2.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • Internal Medicine

Votes: 59 13.3%
  • Neurology

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Neurosurgery

Votes: 36 8.1%
  • Obstetrics & Gynecology

• Opthalmology

Votes: 19 4.3%
  • Orthopedic Surgery

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Pathology

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

• Plastic Surgery

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • Psychiatry

• Radiation Oncology

• Radiology

Votes: 32 7.2%
  • Urology

• Combination

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More than likely into Internal Medicine more specifically Cardiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I put surgery because I really think I'd like it, but I'm pretty sure I won't end up doing it because of the lifestyle. I want to be around for my kids and my hubby.
Other things I like include Psychiatry, Radiology, and possibly Anesthesiology.
Every once in a while I get a little heartbroken about surgery though. I really think I'd enjoy it, I'm just not willing to sacrifice everything else for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
IM, then probably a more specialized area like Critical Care or Pulmonology. Of course, this will change by some time next week most likely.

EM all the way baby! If working at LSU's ER for over two years hasn't scared me off, I don't think ANYTHING will!!!

ENT is where it's at!

Desire to work with vocal performers... suits my background.

Worked in the ER going on 3 yrs... and there is NO way I'm headed into Emergency Medicine...or I mean 'secondary primary care'

Not to mention the 8% neurosurg, considering current residents make up 0.1% of the total resident population.

I'm thinking cardiology right now, probably invasive.

Your dog is unbelievably cute. Is that a dachshund? It's really light. I've grown up with four... and my mother just got two more.

Thank you! I just read this from a while back he is a mini Dachshund. That picture was from when he was a baby, he's coat has gotten a lot darker now, he is white with red spots all over.

It's amazing to me how many people think they're going to go into Ortho. There is not that great of a need for Orthopedic Surgeons!

Since when has this board been representative of the general population of pre-meds? This poll is obviously going to be skewed.

For now, I have a two way tie between anesthesia or an IM subspecialty. I have done some shadowing in cardio and have always been fascinated by the heart, so I'm heavily leaning towards IM with cardio fellowship primarily I guess. Anesthesia has such a nice lifestyle though, and it seems interesting, so who knows.

Infectious Disease, but Family Medicine is my second choice, so that's what I chose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably Family Medicine. I like primary care and FM will let me treat both adults and children. My friends doctor did her OB/gyn as well as the pediatric care for her daughter. I haven't yet figured out if I'd have to do two residencies for that, but if I could do it with only one then that would be my choice.

We'll see - I know it will change umpteen times before I get to residency.

EM would be my second choice - gotta love the hours and variety.

Well, I put surgery because I really think I'd like it, but I'm pretty sure I won't end up doing it because of the lifestyle. I want to be around for my kids and my hubby.
Other things I like include Psychiatry, Radiology, and possibly Anesthesiology.
Every once in a while I get a little heartbroken about surgery though. I really think I'd enjoy it, I'm just not willing to sacrifice everything else for it.

This is only anecdotal but my mom's friend's son is a neurosurgeon who balances his work with his family quite nicely...I think if you want to, you can find that balance. If you really do love surgery (or will fall in love with it come match time), I don't think you should not do it b/c you feel that it would take away from family time...

Anyway, I voted for Rads but it's way too early to tell...simply based on 2ndary experience through reading about the specialties and reading people's posts about them - I find Rads, Anaesthesia, and IM (followed with sub specialties) to be the most appealing to me...

Not to mention the 8% neurosurg, considering current residents make up 0.1% of the total resident population.

It's an attractive field and many people want to go into it. That's why around 40% who apply fail to match every year. At this stage, we're all just dreaming anyway--our choices will become more realistic depending on our performance in med school.

I am surprised that derm is so popular. I would never be able to consider myself in that speciality. Blood and the smell of burning flesh in surgery are tolerable but I canNOT stomach some of those derm diseases. It is surprising what some people will walk around with.

I think neurosurg, radiology, IM are a few cool options. Didn't have the chance to follow a neurosurgeon but I wish I did. I saw a lot of urological surgeries and fixing crooked pen*ses is definitely not what I wanna do for the rest of my life lol. Actually urology is not bad... it can be quite interesting but I cant imagine a guy being able to perform an orchiectomy without feeling squimish.

Oh I wanna be a diagnostician. Im with fellowship in infectious diseases. MOVE OVER HOUSE!

Leaning more toward IM(possible subspecialization) but possibly psych(I'm a psych major!). However, i'm open-minded to pretty much everything.

1. General Surgery
2. Radiology
3. EM
4. Anes.
5. Derm
6. IM

Combo, cafeteria style:D

More people want to be neurosurgens than Pediatricians?

only in pre-allo.

Why isn't OMM Guru on the list?

:D

i really hate it when people say "tentatively." other pet peeves include starting posts with "agree(d)", and/or ending them with "hope this/that helps." i really hate the last one, because i seem to have gotten it in every email from a gsi since 2003.

Do you also hate "technically"? That's a big one that bothers people... All I can say is breathe. In out in out. Hope this helps.
Agreed. :p

I also hate "Just my .02" It's a web forum -- we all know it's just your opinion. I think "FWIW" and especially "IMHO" are almost as unnecessary, but nearly as annoying.

And, FWIW, nearly everyone spells definitely with an "a" in the middle: "definately".

And what about ending posts with "That is all." Also, IMHO, there is no need to sign the end of your post (not in the sig, but actually manually signing every post). It's definately annoying. Just my .02.

That is all.
-GoodDoctor

What a great thread! It's gonna be awesome to dig it up 4-5 years from now and compare the poll to the actual numbers. 8% for Neurosurgery?? That's hilarious! Once school starts and you all get stratified into A, B, and C students...many of you will suddenly have a change of heart!

Either general surgery, or emergency medicine!

either EM or neurosurg as of right now. I need something exciting like these two. Dont know if I would be able to handle the rigors of neurosurg though.

I was primarily considering PCP or FM until I spoke to a few doctors about the field. It seems like specialization is the way to go these days. Honestly, I just wanted to be a family doctor, but why bother if NP's or PA's can do the job without the same education requirement?

Emergency Medicine.

Open mind - decide when I get to school.

Though I do not want to be so influenced by the "lifestyle" factor.

I know the argument, but I think you should go after what you really enjoy for what it is - just my opinion.

Pediatric Specialties (Cards, Onco....)

or

Peds Surg or Peds Plastics....

or Whatever I get into by 4th year.

It's an attractive field and many people want to go into it. That's why around 40% who apply fail to match every year. At this stage, we're all just dreaming anyway--our choices will become more realistic depending on our performance in med school.

Wrong. 66% match rate for neurosurgery includes IMGs, which only have 11% match rate. For US seniors, the match rate is 83% (2007).

Hematology-Oncology

I'm thinking neurology or psychiatry. Ideally, both, as I'm interested in both types of patients/illnesses. I love the whole problem diagnostic process and dealing with complicated manifestations of illnesses. I like to always think through all my options rather than go with my best guess and act on it right away. Plus, procedures, I'm okay with or without, and I'm not the type of person who NEEDS to see immediate results. Ergo... neurology/psych seems perfect.

can you add infectious diseases to the poll?

I see myself now doing MED/PEDS. I choose that over Family Medicine b/c they're both flexible in the type of patients you see but with family med it just looks to spread out and I don't want to do OB at the moment. I have considered doing critical care medicine after MED/PEDS and do hospitalist work in an urban neighborhood or somewhere with some poor people. :D

Neuro, but I have to be accepted first :laugh:

Peds

Maybe pediatric cardiology.