What specialty dresses the most formal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you’re a guy you should wear a tie every day everywhere that you are not wearing scrubs. Can you think of one bad thing that comes with always wearing a tie? You look more professional, your preceptors take you more seriously, your patients take you more seriously. Even if your preceptors say otherwise, subconsciously they take you more seriously. There is literally nothing bad that comes from it. Get shirts that fit and the tie will not be all that uncomfortable. I used to hate ties but it’s because my neck size was too tight.

Dont some specialties (psych i think maybe others) suggest not where a tie because it can choke you (i assume patient having violent psychotic episode can choke you with it, maybe other specialties where it may get in the way while working with tools?)

Yeah my necks been the same way with ties but more specifically the top button of dress shirts, maybe i should get a couple personally fit shirts and just take good care of them?

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re a guy you should wear a tie every day everywhere that you are not wearing scrubs. Can you think of one bad thing that comes with always wearing a tie? You look more professional, your preceptors take you more seriously, your patients take you more seriously. Even if your preceptors say otherwise, subconsciously they take you more seriously. There is literally nothing bad that comes from it. Get shirts that fit and the tie will not be all that uncomfortable. I used to hate ties but it’s because my neck size was too tight.

You havent suffered from neckbeard'itis .
My beard goes from my face, down my chin, to my adams apple. Unless I grow my beard, the constant friction between a collar and my beard is terrible

Reactions: 1 user

Other than the whole neckties being unsanitary thing? Sure.

I had an attending tell a student he'd send them home if he wore a necktie again (after being told not to wear one the previous day and showing up again wearing one), getting on your attending's bad side by not following instructions is a bad thing imo. I also had a patient yank my necktie on the first day of my psych rotation. Nothing overly threatening (though there was a threat involved), but enough that I wouldn't wear tie on an inpatient unit again. They're also just uncomfortable imo. I'll take jeans and a decent shirt in clinic any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second the whole "Go be a resident at Mayo" thing. Suits all day every day.

Anything clinic based can be incredibly formal if that's your personality.

Reactions: 1 users
Still uncomfortable also fomite considering the average man has his ties dry cleaned exactly zero times

I get my ties dry cleaned all the time. Even if I don't get anything on them during that particular day they get wrinkly and frumpy after 2-3 wearings. It's all of $2 at my dry cleaners and well worth it.

I had an attending tell a student he'd send them home if he wore a necktie again (after being told not to wear one the previous day and showing up again wearing one), getting on your attending's bad side by not following instructions is a bad thing imo. I also had a patient yank my necktie on the first day of my psych rotation. Nothing overly threatening (though there was a threat involved), but enough that I wouldn't wear tie on an inpatient unit again. They're also just uncomfortable imo. I'll take jeans and a decent shirt in clinic any day.

I had a doctor tell me this once. I told him we should just examine everyone naked. We’d spread less germs and get to know everyone so kuch better. I bet that doctor meticulously cleans his stethoscope every single time he uses it also. Also I can’t remember ever seeing a doctor clean a stethoscope head (besides myself).

I had a doctor tell me this once. I told him we should just examine everyone naked. We’d spread less germs and get to know everyone so kuch better. I bet that doctor meticulously cleans his stethoscope every single time he uses it also. Also I can’t remember ever seeing a doctor clean a stethoscope head (besides myself).

I clean my stethoscope after every patient, nice to meet you. The issue with neckties (and white coats) is that they rarely get washed. You wear different clothes every day. How often do you wash your ties or white coat? If it's not every day or close to that, your point about being nude is moot.

I get my ties dry cleaned all the time. Even if I don't get anything on them during that particular day they get wrinkly and frumpy after 2-3 wearings. It's all of $2 at my dry cleaners and well worth it.

That's not a bad deal, and I'd be less against them if people washed but them regularly. The few places I've been for dry cleaning were around $5/tie/cleaning. As a med student I'm not about to drop $50/month to get ties cleaned when I can just not wear them at all. Seems like a waste of money to me, especially since I find them uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Bowties FTW. They aren't long and mobile, don't dangle when you lean over something, and shouldn't really be touched other than to put it on/take it off. Bowties are love, bowties are life.

Bowties, the choice of clownin' around.

Hermes neckties are nice.

I clean my stethoscope after every patient, nice to meet you. The issue with neckties (and white coats) is that they rarely get washed. You wear different clothes every day. How often do you wash your ties or white coat? If it's not every day or close to that, your point about being nude is moot.

Why is my point about being nude moot? Studies have shown that washing your body without surgical soap doesn’t actually diminish the amount of bacteria on your skin. You just tend to move them around a little. Furthermore washing machines are often havens for bacteria and leave bacteria on clothes, which is why you are supposed to wear only hospital washed scrubs for surgery, change every morning, and in fact every case.

Bowties FTW. They aren't long and mobile, don't dangle when you lean over something, and shouldn't really be touched other than to put it on/take it off. Bowties are love, bowties are life.

And another pediatrician was born...

Why is my point about being nude moot? Studies have shown that washing your body without surgical soap doesn’t actually diminish the amount of bacteria on your skin. You just tend to move them around a little. Furthermore washing machines are often havens for bacteria and leave bacteria on clothes, which is why you are supposed to wear only hospital washed scrubs for surgery, change every morning, and in fact every case.

The issue isn't with cleaning/moving around normal flora. The issue is with pathological organisms. Also, if washing doesn't actually kill bacteria and push them around, we shouldn't see any patients at all without taking a shower with surgical soap beforehand. The issue with neckties and white coats is that you're accumulating pathological organisms over the course of a significantly greater number of exposures and exposing more patients to those organisms.

Regardless of whether you feel that's accurate or not, there are other negatives to wearing ties that I already stated. If nothing else, I'll default to my core argument of "neckties are stupid and uncomfortable and I'd rather not wear them".

God I hate neckties. Aside from fomite/fashion issues it just doesn't make practical sense. Don't feel dressed up enough with your nice shirt, dress pants, dress shoes? Here, why don't you also wrap this piece of extraneous cloth around your neck too.

Reactions: 1 users
You can dress as nice as you want in psychiatry, I've seen some people that look sharp af

We may be the specialty least likely to show up to work in scrubs, but psychiatrists do tend to have some, uhh... interesting... interpretations of professional/formal dress.

FWIW, I've been wearing a sport coat to work this week due to the fact that I have a bunch of meetings with the higher ups this week, including one with the department chair on Friday, and the playoff beard I'm superstitiously growing for the end of hockey season is getting kind of unwieldy.

Reactions: 2 users
And another pediatrician was born...

The issue isn't with cleaning/moving around normal flora. The issue is with pathological organisms. Also, if washing doesn't actually kill bacteria and push them around, we shouldn't see any patients at all without taking a shower with surgical soap beforehand. The issue with neckties and white coats is that you're accumulating pathological organisms over the course of a significantly greater number of exposures and exposing more patients to those organisms.

Regardless of whether you feel that's accurate or not, there are other negatives to wearing ties that I already stated. If nothing else, I'll default to my core argument of "neckties are stupid and uncomfortable and I'd rather not wear them".

God I hate neckties. Aside from fomite/fashion issues it just doesn't make practical sense. Don't feel dressed up enough with your nice shirt, dress pants, dress shoes? Here, why don't you also wrap this piece of extraneous cloth around your neck too.

I hate ties.

The only thing worse than dying for me would be dying and then being buried wearing a tie.

Unless I die because of a tie, then you can bury me with a tie that says “see, this is what happens”.

Don’t even get me started on white coats.