What specialty has the best scope for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Flouncy Meow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, I don't even know how to phrase the question.
Is there a specialty where there is a great chance for research/academics as well as clinical practice? For example, you have time (and reason) to undertake projects, but you are also involved in your hospital as a clinician. I was thinking neurology might be one, but any others?
Or is this program dependent? If so, can someone give a few examples?
Also another question, for those who are actually in training- do the words "surgical research" sound like an oxymoron to you? I know there is something of that sort but I haven't heard anyone who has personal experience with combining academics and research.
(Just a back ground on me- I am an IMG *hoping* to land a residency...soon. Personality-wise I'm more of a thinking type. While surgery has always interested me,I don't think it finds me interesting. My mom says my hands have the dexterity of a water bottle. My sutures seem to agree with me. So you can guess hwy I'm asking this.)

Members don't see this ad.

Basic science research or clinical research?

Basic science - anything but surgery (the clinical demands make it hard to work in the lab too, but not impossible) or EM (just because they don't do much basic research).
Clinical research - Whatever specialty you want to go into.

Reactions: 1 users
As said above, you can do clinical research in any field. In terms of having time to do research, any large academic program will encourage research, but as a resident it comes out of your "free" time, not out of the schedule. But I'd caution as an IMG, it's probably less about you being in the drivers seat choosing exactly what you want, and more about making yourself happy with whatever your best options may be.

Reactions: 1 user
you can do research in any specialty (including surgery, but it is much more difficult). try to find the field that interests you the most.

Reactions: 1 user
But I'd caution as an IMG, it's probably less about you being in the drivers seat choosing exactly what you want, and more about making yourself happy with whatever your best options may be.

You're right- but that stands for all IMGs. Everybody's gonna be all pumped up about landing ANY residency- so what can I do to show I'm different? If I show that I am genuinely interested in a field - that I am not just going to earn an MD from them and run away, but that I want to contribute- might give me an edge.
And its better that I try and fail than get into a field that I hate, ruin everybody's life and have a bad record for the rest of my career.

Basic science research or clinical research?

Basic science - anything but surgery (the clinical demands make it hard to work in the lab too, but not impossible) or EM (just because they don't do much basic research).
Clinical research - Whatever specialty you want to go into.

Clinical research. Like I said, I want some hospital time too. I saw some of the academic programs (Weill-Cornell, Mt Sinai) but they don't seem to give a lot of time to clinics, just a year or two. And for the programs that 'encourage' research, well they seem to end up as side projects in CVs.

My main question is what field would benefit from research? (So I can go to them and be like, see, you need this, I do this)

You're right- but that stands for all IMGs. Everybody's gonna be all pumped up about landing ANY residency- so what can I do to show I'm different? If I show that I am genuinely interested in a field - that I am not just going to earn an MD from them and run away, but that I want to contribute- might give me an edge.
And its better that I try and fail than get into a field that I hate, ruin everybody's life and have a bad record for the rest of my career.

Sure, give it a shot. I have no problem with people taking a long shot so long as they appreciate it for what it is. But wanting to do research isn't that much of a selling point-- it's easy to say and might be off putting to the smaller community places more likely to take an IMG. If you've already done a ton of research that might be different.

My main question is what field would benefit from research? (So I can go to them and be like, see, you need this, I do this)

Technically every field has areas which could benefit from research. But I don't think this is the bargaining chip you think it is. There is no residency program that is going to be swayed by any applicant declaring that their cutting-edge research will fill a knowledge gap in the specialty. Because as an applicant, nobody is going to seriously believe that you know/understand what those knowledge gaps are. Oh, you are interested in elucidating the causes of preterm labor? You, and hundreds of other researchers who have actually been working on it for their entire career. As an applicant the chance is near-zero that you're going to be actively doing anything that a specialty desperately needs.

There's also the fact that programs that weigh research aspirations very heavily, are often in the position that they don't even consider IMG applications (I trained at one). And programs that are IMG friendly, tend to shy away from people who express a strong desire to do research, because that's often not a strong point for those programs (I've worked at two).

Clinical research. Like I said, I want some hospital time too. I saw some of the academic programs (Weill-Cornell, Mt Sinai) but they don't seem to give a lot of time to clinics, just a year or two. And for the programs that 'encourage' research, well they seem to end up as side projects in CVs.

This reply makes me wonder if you actually understand anything about either clinical medicine or research. There are plenty of physician-scientists who have R01s, have their own labs and see patients (inpatient or outpatient).

Also, as an IMG, you can forget Cornell and Sinai, and most other upper tier programs for residency, unless by IMG you mean you're graduating from Cambridge or you have some other amazing thing on your CV...like a first author NEJM paper.

Reactions: 1 users
@gutonc: you're right, I probably don't. Honestly, I don't know if its better if I join a physician-scientist research residency, or just a traditional program. I don't even know if I can. Thanks for clearing up the matter about clinical work though. And no, I haven't graduated from a high tier US medical school. I'll try getting something amazing on my CV though, still have a year left :p

@22031 Alum : I guess this happens because IMG actually don't have much research experience if they are from a traditional (MBBS) medical school. Usually those who want it join a research elective when they come to the US, but since that would take a lot of time and money, most IMGs are warned against it. And you're right, the IMG friendly programs are more clinically- oriented.

Thanks for all your answers, at least I got some honest opinions rather than nothing!

Don't be discouraged, lots of brusque replies here but people are just trying to keep things realistic. Saying you want to do research is something that most applicants do. If you can bring something substantial to the table - numerous 1st author papers, a PhD +/-1 post-doc, that might change things. But just asserting a career goal will not distinguish you.

The IM subspecialties (esp heme/onc) are compatible with research. So is radiology and optho.