What specialty likes to party the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Optometry obvi! [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlojAHl5L7Q[/YOUTUBE] Go to 3:30

Psssshh check out our MCAT scores! If that doesn't scream "I partied the night before my MCAT!!!" I don't know what does!

Psssshh check out our MCAT scores! If that doesn't scream "I partied the night before my MCAT!!!" I don't know what does!

lol we don't even have to take the MCAT, and I'll be able to do everything an ophthalmologist does except for major surgery. Beat that lol

lol we don't even have to take the MCAT, and I'll be able to do everything an ophthalmologist does except for major surgery. Beat that lol

You're basically an ophthalmologist! Definitely.

Silly thread but hey... the EM and radiology people I've met have been pretty fun :thumbup:

You're basically an ophthalmologist! Definitely.

Pretty much. That's what the ophtho I worked for said. "If you go into optometry you'll be able to do everything I do except for major surgery. You can get all this equipment: the OCT, visual field machine and fundus camera. You just gotta learn how to read em and you can bill insurance for the tests along with patient visits and all the minor stuff I do like plucking eye lashes or removing sutures. Optometrists might get surgery in the future but just don't expect it."

Pretty much. That's what the ophtho I worked for said. "If you go into optometry you'll be able to do everything I do except for major surgery. You can get all this equipment: the OCT, visual field machine and fundus camera. You just gotta learn how to read em and you can bill insurance for the tests along with patient visits and all the minor stuff I do like plucking eye lashes or removing sutures. Optometrists might get surgery in the future but just don't expect it."
High five, broski! You just keep on winning and winning. :cool:

you're trying to troll a thread that asks what specialty likes to party the most

your life hitting an all new low shnurek?

Members don't see this ad :)
what i don't get is why not just make optometry a college major like many other countries. That way we can get rid of all that unnecessary undergraduate coursework.

if you knew more about ophtho than just "they do surgery" you'd know there's way more to it than that... Granted you guys can do a lot but your scope is different overall.

on topic, honestly don't know. I'd say EM just based on personality.

PM&R (aka Plenty of Money and Relaxation)

At my medical school Ortho definitely seemed to be willing to go through the most misery to get out to the club. The light hour specialties (psych, optho, derm) get out all the time because they can, but orthopods are the only ones I knew that would have 6 hours off in between their illegally long shifts and spend 3 of them at a stip club.

fig6.jpg

Prescribe meds?

I assume that graph is days, not weeks... Right??? Lol.

It's the percentage who take 4 or more weeks off in each specialty.

do you guys take any pharmacology? I ask because psychologists are pushing for Rx powers as well, and well..... with their training that is akin to putting Nickelback's pyrotechnics guy on the Manhattan Project.

Yes, same course as the MDs/DOs.

do you guys take any pharmacology? I ask because psychologists are pushing for Rx powers as well, and well..... with their training that is akin to putting Nickelback's pyrotechnics guy on the Manhattan Project.

Please don't feed the troll.

laughable. OD's take their own little "applied pharm" that describes various eye ointments and drops. The real pharm taken in medical school is like nothing you will ever experience in a mid-level program like OD. The best that you can hope for is you will properly instruct a patient on the best type of over-the-counter eye drop to use.

The educations are completely different; however, that makes perfect sense seeing as the scopes of practice and are too.

Yes, same course as the MDs/DOs.

laughable. OD's take their own little "applied pharm" that describes various eye ointments and drops. The real pharm taken in medical school is like nothing you will ever experience in a mid-level program like OD. The best that you can hope for is you will properly instruct a patient on the best type of over-the-counter eye drop to use.

The educations are completely different; however, that makes perfect sense seeing as the scopes of practice and are too.

Thanks for your uneducated blabbering. The real pharm taken in pharmacy school is like nothing you will ever experience in a program that you still did not get in to.

Some optometrists do ocular injections as well.

Psychologists have prescription authority in my state. Requirements involve a post doctorate masters degree in psychopharmacology.

Both optometrists and psychologists seem to be very conservative when it comes to prescribing mind altering drugs.

My information is per real OD's working in the real clinical settings. I don't see them giving drugs like tPA or IV infusions. Maybe there is a reason for that and you're stuck in the idealistic realm of academia?

Thanks for your uneducated blabbering. The real pharm taken in pharmacy school is like nothing you will ever experience in a program that you still did not get in to.

Some optometrists do ocular injections as well.

Both optometrists and psychologists seem to be very conservative when it comes to prescribing mind altering drugs.

Yes, indeed. Definitely.

My information is per real OD's working in the real clinical settings. I don't see them giving drugs like tPA or IV infusions. Maybe there is a reason for that and you're stuck in the idealistic realm of academia?

Optometrists are not medical or EM doctors. They are eye doctors.

Sorry dude, I've learned a lot about ophtho over the last few months from the ophtho board and shadowing some ophthos. As an OD you'll mainly be prescribing ppl's glasses and contacts. Maybe treat the occasional pinkeye here and there, but that's it. No surgeries = sucks. That's the best part of the field.

I shadowed an ophtho a few days ago and she had just removed 3/4ths of the patient's iris due to lymphoma. When I was there, she was using an ultrasound on the pt to assess for any changes in the optic nerves. On top of that stuff, she mainly does cataract surgery, LASIK, and anterior orbital surgeries.

Point: OD is nothing like ophtho. Good try, broski. I think all your posting on medical forums is your attempt to fill that void of not being anything like an ophtho. ODs only do the boring part, which most ophthos I've seen make the technicians do anyway so they don't waste their time with that stuff.

A little tip for everyone arguing with our favorite drive-by troll:

This message is hidden because Shnurek is on your ignore list.

It makes life on these boards so much more palatable.

Back on topic: I'd say EM or maybe Plastics, from what I've seen. I'd say that in general the ones that party the least tend to be the general practice specialties (peds, IM, family) -- but beyond that it varies quite a bit.

Also, can we get at least a warning to Shnurek for hijacking another thread totally unrelated to the subject and turning it into an OD vs OMD thread? At least smack him on the nose so he runs back to the OD boards with his tail between his legs.

Shnurek did no such thing. He posted a bit about optometry, some pre meds got butthurt and attempted to put him in his place like a Mexican on his wife.

Your fault for being defensive.

And I'm Chicano, so that wasn't a racist remark.

Last edited:
Dentistry
Any of the surgical fields except for ophthalmology

Going to a strip bar with a gynecologist must suck.