What specialty likes to party the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see a single claim where he said prescriptive privileges were equal between optometrists and physicians. He said optometrists take the same pharmaceutical coursework as physicians. A claim that appears to be true.

Members don't see this ad.

nobody is questioning your commitment - they are questioning your claim that the Rx privileges are equal to that of MD/DO. By your own sources, they are not :shrug:

OK they are not equal. But in some states ODs prescribe 99% of what ophthos prescribe. I'm actually kind of curious how controlled substance prescriptions work for MDs/DOs. Like can you guys just Rx Schedule 1 substances once in a blue moon or you need a special DEA license past the basic DEA license? I really have no idea how this works. I know that to prescribe Schedule 1 Cannabis the state has to have a medical marijuana law passed and it has to be indicated for a certain condition obviously. But what about other Schedule 1 substances, are they off limits completely?

I don't see a single claim where he said prescriptive privileges were equal between optometrists and physicians. He said optometrists take the same pharmaceutical coursework as physicians. A claim that appears to be true.

lol we don't even have to take the MCAT, and I'll be able to do everything an ophthalmologist does except for major surgery. Beat that lol

Pretty much. That's what the ophtho I worked for said. "If you go into optometry you'll be able to do everything I do except for major surgery. You can get all this equipment: the OCT, visual field machine and fundus camera. You just gotta learn how to read em and you can bill insurance for the tests along with patient visits and all the minor stuff I do like plucking eye lashes or removing sutures. Optometrists might get surgery in the future but just don't expect it."

Prescribe meds?

Yup. Narcs, orals, topicals, we got 'em.

I could keep going... but it was starting to feel mean.... :thumbup:
(also this was the last quote that solidly defended my point :smuggrin:)

Members don't see this ad :)
OK they are not equal. But in some states ODs prescribe 99% of what ophthos prescribe. I'm actually kind of curious how controlled substance prescriptions work for MDs/DOs. Like can you guys just Rx Schedule 1 substances once in a blue moon or you need a special DEA license past the basic DEA license? I really have no idea how this works. I know that to prescribe Schedule 1 Cannabis the state has to have a medical marijuana law passed. But what about other Schedule 1 substances, are they off limits completely?

this is a bogus and absurd comparison. 99.9% of an FM doc's job is recommending OTC and lifestyle changes. Your comment was relevant to privileges - not "what is done". The amount of "sameness" between the two only seems relevant because the meaningful difference is also a minority difference.

CRNAs also like to tout sameness in outcomes. Everyone is none the wiser to the fact that the experimental designs would actually hide a hypothetical situation where EVERY CRNA in the country actually walked into the OR and shot their high risk patient in the face - the outcomes per protocol in these studies would still be statistically insignificant :shrug: in such a way, claiming sameness in Rx ability is also bogus :thumbup:

this is a bogus and absurd comparison. 99.9% of an FM doc's job is recommending OTC and lifestyle changes. Your comment was relevant to privileges - not "what is done". The amount of "sameness" between the two only seems relevant because the meaningful difference is also a minority difference.

CRNAs also like to tout sameness in outcomes. Everyone is none the wiser to the fact that the experimental designs would actually hide a hypothetical situation where EVERY CRNA in the country actually walked into the OR and shot their high risk patient in the face - the outcomes per protocol in these studies would still be statistically insignificant :shrug: in such a way, claiming sameness in Rx ability is also bogus :thumbup:

Want to have an intelligent discussion or irrelevantly ramble? Obviously almost everyone everywhere speaks in generalizations. If you want to be strict then yes they are not equal but they come pretty damn close.

Want to have an intelligent discussion or irrelevantly ramble? Obviously almost everyone everywhere speaks in generalizations. If you want to be strict then yes they are not equal but they come pretty damn close.

it depends.... honestly I feel I am among the most forgiving of the medical crowd towards the "shnurek" - however you like to inflate your claims. Generalizations are dangerous because they can be misleading. So if my only other option is "irrelevant ramble" I suppose I'd like option "C" - that which I was already doing - a conversation about what the language employed really means. :) Do not make a claim related to privileges when your supporting argument is relevant to the day-to-day. There arent many doctors who push the limits of the Rx rights on a daily basis so your 99% only applies to a different conversation -i.e. not the one we are having.

I'm actually kind of curious how controlled substance prescriptions work for MDs/DOs. Like can you guys just Rx Schedule 1 substances once in a blue moon or you need a special DEA license past the basic DEA license? I really have no idea how this works. I know that to prescribe Schedule 1 Cannabis the state has to have a medical marijuana law passed and it has to be indicated for a certain condition obviously. But what about other Schedule 1 substances, are they off limits completely?

Can anyone provide insight on this please?

Back to the partying...

I vote rads.

Take their reading room...dim lights, maybe some black accent lighting, a little strobe action, and some party tunes...bingo, all work hours become party time. I'd call it "Cafe Disco"

I wander into all sorts of forums on here to offer what I know about each profession. Doesn't mean I feel inferior to others. It means I see them as brothers and sisters of a time honored fraternity.

I see nothing wrong with what Scnurek is doing. The incorrect behavior I am witnessing is from those bashing him. That and that alone is the only thing wrong in this thread.

You're an idiot. that's all I have to say. Maybe even dumber than Shnurek. I think I spelled that right and you mispelled it? I'm just gonna start calling him Shrek since his name is just a jumble of letters anyway.

At least Shrek knows he's trolling since occasionally he'll admit to it. Therefore, he knows he's being an idiot most of the time. You might be worse, though, because you seem oblivious to your idiocy. :confused:

Ortho seems to have left the frat house the least among specialties