What specialty should I go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentddd1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ideally I am looking for a field that gives me time to do research, more specifically translational, therapy based research while also seeing patients and making good money ( I have killer debt!). I know that is too much to ask for, but just wondering if it is at all possible. The only field I have heard of where some people are doing this is Allergy and Immunology.

I am an average student from a Caribbean med school, so might not be able to aim for the super competitive specialties.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

you can do translational research in almost any field, it depends more on your institution than area of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to Allo Forum

As noted above, translational research is available in many fields. Breast cancer and colorectal cancer for example have plenty of surgeons, rad onc and medical oncologists engaged in such research. A & I is far from the only field.

S/he's an average Caribbean student, that's not going to happen.

OP - you can do translational research in any field. You just have to show interest in setting it up. Preferably at an academic institution that already has some sort of framework. As for debt, I would say (one of) your best bet might be IM --> GI/Cards.