What specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteelEyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I encourage everyone to go into medical school with an open mind to all specialties within medicine. However, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what specialty he/she will be going into.
I was looking back at old essays and such from my college years and I had forgotten that I wanted to be a surgeon back then. Kinda weird. Ends up I am going to be a surgeon, well subspecialty surgeon anyways (ophthalmology).
So, if you had to pick right now, and assuming you could get whatever you wanted, you would go into . . .

Members don't see this ad.

proctology, definitely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another OB/GYN here

I'm thinking emergency/internal medicine.

Undecided, but: Derm, ortho, plastic, or optha

One of these 4.

psychiatry, neurosurgery, cardiology, oncology... who knows.

Psychiatry is what initially what attracted me to the field of medicine, but the older I get and the more I learn, the more I become interested in other things.

I'd like to get into Trauma Surgery

psych and/or neuro

OB/GYN, because you can look at vaginas all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sugery or EM for now.

why doesnt someone turn this into a poll; i dont feel like taking the initiative

Shredder said:
why doesnt someone turn this into a poll; i dont feel like taking the initiative

I just bumped the one that was up before. :thumbup:

so what's pathology all about? is it just histology and microbiology? Sorry for my naive te, but a brief description of duties and lifestyle would be appreciated.

Check out the path forum for better answers than what would be available here

--

Last edited:
I'm interested in family practice, psychiatry and pathology, in that order.

Probably psych/neuro or psych/IM. Hopefully by the time I'm choosing a specialty, psych and neuro will be more integrated (as they probably should be) and the decision will be easier.

At first I was all about primary care...but after having looked in to all the specialities I am thinking more along the lines of Infectious Disease.

Ortho, Anesthesiology

I'm not entirely sure which surgical subspecialty I will choose, but I know I'll be some kind of surgeon :D

Interesting, perhaps I should start keeping a journal or at least make a time capsule or something, and write down what I think I'll go into, and then open it when I actually match :)

EM, radiology, medical genetics, pediatric rheumatology...

I guess I don't really have a good idea. But if I had to choose one I'd choose EM.

cardiothoracic surgery or maybe just cardiology, the heart fascinates me

pediatric cardiology for me! vsd, anyone?

Primary care for sure. IM or EM

kgm4 said:
pediatric cardiology for me! vsd, anyone?
What about TOF?

1. Urology
2. Surgical oncology
3. Another surgical specialty or subspecialty
4. Oncology

Right now urology is winning out for several reasons: wide variety of cases (from short, minor surgery to very complex, long surgery), good amount of patient contact, agreeable lifestyle, and it deals with a large amount of cancer (which fascinates me).

Geriatrics and/or Cardiology

Emergency medicine or Surgery...but i'm not super positive...these are just what i'm leaning towards.

Hematology, (maybe heme/onc), Pathology, Critical Care, Anaesthesiology, - not sure really. What is more interesting is what you would NOT go into: OB/Gyn, Psych, Addiction Medicine, Family Practice for me...

Internal medicine ---> Interventional cardiology :love:

Ambs said:
Internal medicine ---> Interventional cardiology

Wow, I can tell that you are a greedy bastard already!

Ob/gyn for now... I'll probably change my mind 2,000 times before I have to actually decide on something... ;)

Emergency/IM combined
Trauma
OB/GYN
Gas

EM, Neurology, or Neurosurgery

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many OB/GYN interests.

g3pro said:
Wow, I can tell that you are a greedy bastard already!

Actually, no. How presumptuous of you!

I've worked in cardiology for the past 3+ years, so I know what I'm talking about. I love it! I have worked with all kinds of cardiologists, and I have decided at this point that I want to be involved in procedures - definitely not at the surgical (cardiothoracic surgery) level but caths, PTCAs and pacemaker implantation.

OB/Gyn (balance of clinical and surgery!)
dermatology (skin is so cool!)
pathology
. . .

I too will probably change my mind 2000 times before making a decision. :D

Physical medicine & Rehabilitation

Rolandicfissure said:
TAPVR. (rookies).

heh. we are nerds. i love it!

CCTGA