Apr 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I have divorced parents who have lived in 2 different states for some time now. Dad lives in PA, Mom live in GA. I have honestly spent nearly an equal amount of time with the two since I've been in college. (1 summer with mom, other with dad, This summer split between the two. Same with the winter holidays). I have also worked in both states during my break from school. Being that both parents are legal residence of their respective states for 6+ years, I could theoretically use either of those addresses as my 'permanent residence'.

When I go to apply to MD schools next cycle, I was wondering if I should claim in-state for PA schools or GA schools? Which would I have more of an advantage applying in-state as if there is any difference at all?

For some reference (without giving my whole resume) I have a cGPA & sGPA of ~3.75 and I am expecting an MCAT of ~507-510 (been scoring high on practice FLs). Also hispanic.

Technology

Level: 25 HP: 90
2+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2015
München
Status
Pre-Medical
So...

Pennsylvania has these medical schools: Drexel, Temple, Penn State, Perelman, Thomas Jefferson, The Commonwealth?, and UPitt. (I think that is all of them besides the combined programs).

Georgia has these: Emory, Mercer, Morehouse, and Medical College of Georgia (Augusta).

So Pennsylvania has seven+ medical schools, and Georgia only has four. You have a low shot at Emory (unless your ECs are REALLY good), and I am unsure if Morehouse accepts non-black students. So overall, Pennsylvania offers many more options than Georgia.

I would choose Pennsylvania if I were in your situation, unless you REALLY love Georgia.

OP
H
Apr 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So...

Pennsylvania has these medical schools: Drexel, Temple, Penn State, Perelman, Thomas Jefferson, The Commonwealth?, and UPitt. (I think that is all of them besides the combined programs).

Georgia has these: Emory, Mercer, Morehouse, and Medical College of Georgia (Augusta).

So Pennsylvania has seven+ medical schools, and Georgia only has four. You have a low shot at Emory (unless your ECs are REALLY good), and I am unsure if Morehouse accepts non-black students. So overall, Pennsylvania offers many more options than Georgia.

I would choose Pennsylvania if I were in your situation, unless you REALLY love Georgia.

I recognize that PA has more schools, but many of those are private. Mercer/MCoGA both have a huge in-state bias too. Penn State and UPitt are the only schools in PA with strong instate preferences. The others don't. So both states have 2 schools where instate matters more. Are UPitt and Penn State usually harder to get into than the GA schools>?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The median MCAT of successful matriculants in GA is 30.3.
PA's median is 32.2.
In both states 27% of IS applicants matriculated IS.
If you end up with an MCAT of less than 510, GA looks like a better bet.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
The median MCAT of successful matriculants in GA is 30.3.
PA's median is 32.2.
In both states 27% of IS applicants matriculated IS.
If you end up with an MCAT of less than 510, GA looks like a better bet.
Those stats include people from GA who went to Morehouse though which inflates the IS matriculation rate and lowers the median MCAT of GA.
It's 23% IS in GA excluding Morehouse. PA's IS matriculation rate was 32 and 33 the two years prior to this.
@familyaerospace has written in the past about the problems they've had with Mercer regarding ties(ie being a resident alone wasn't enough for them). I've heard other anecdotes like this as well. That's another thing I'd look into.
PA actually would be my pick here.

Last edited:

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Personally I would hedge my bets by going with Georgia for the heavy in state bias. I'd also apply to a bunch of the PA schools and write about your connection to PA in the essays.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Those stats include people from GA who went to Morehouse though which inflates the IS matriculation rate and lowers the median MCAT of GA.
It's 23% IS in GA excluding Morehouse. PA's IS matriculation rate was 32 and 33 the two years prior to this.
Mercer also cares a fair amount about the specifics IS ties and how long you've been there.
PA actually would be my pick here.
Good point re Morehouse.

Reactions: GrapesofRath