What states require the perio componet of the ADEX/CDCA for licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wengerout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a D4 who is looking into taking the manakin version of the CDCA. Planning on practicing in NJ/NY. Does NJ require the perio component of the manikin exam? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

look up the state board of dentistry and email/call them to double check. They change every year as well depending on the vote so make sure to confirm directly with the board.

any answer here will be speculation, so you should definitely check with the state board.

Hey everyone, I am a D4 who is looking into taking the manakin version of the CDCA. Planning on practicing in NJ/NY. Does NJ require the perio component of the manikin exam? Thanks!
Why wouldn’t you just take the perio component???.. also NY let’s u get a license if u complete a residency FYI

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why wouldn’t you just take the perio component???.. also NY let’s u get a license if u complete a residency FYI

If the states don't need it rather hold off and if need be take the patient based later, instead of taking manikin now and wasting money.

And yes I'm aware for NY, thank you!!

look up the state board of dentistry and email/call them to double check. They change every year as well depending on the vote so make sure to confirm directly with the board.

any answer here will be speculation, so you should definitely check with the state board.

Looked on the NJ board site but couldn't find it, if no one knows I'll reach out to them.

I have a NJ license and didn’t need the Perio portion, but I took it anyway so I wouldn’t have to worry about it down the line.
And if you’re looking for work in Jersey, good luck. I moved to a lower COL area with higher pay.
NY doesn’t accept the CDCA, a residency is required.

I have a NJ license and didn’t need the Perio portion, but I took it anyway so I wouldn’t have to worry about it down the line.
And if you’re looking for work in Jersey, good luck. I moved to a lower COL area with higher pay.
NY doesn’t accept the CDCA, a residency is required.

Thanks for letting me know! And haha yeah I know it's a tough nut to crack, however for personal/family reasons decided better to tough it out here.

I knew NY doesn't need need CDCA, thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
If the states don't need it rather hold off and if need be take the patient based later, instead of taking manikin now and wasting money.

And yes I'm aware for NY, thank you!!
Best advice is take the manikin while this COVID thing lasts. You are being handed a gift. No screening 100 patients to find one "perfect" Class II, paying the patient, having the stress of making sure the patient shows up the day of the exam, anesthesia issues, possible pulp exposure etc etc etc.
But that's just my opinion. YMMV

Reactions: 2 users
Best advice is take the manikin while this COVID thing lasts. You are being handed a gift. No screening 100 patients to find one "perfect" Class II, paying the patient, having the stress of making sure the patient shows up the day of the exam, anesthesia issues, possible pulp exposure etc etc etc.
But that's just my opinion. YMMV
completely agree. I am so glad to not be spending months trying to find a pt and then paying them to come out on a weekend only for them to fall asleep day off or have too high BP or a myriad of other problems I've heard occurring with others