What stats do i need if i am a canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AeroIce

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your Gpa is barely passing cut off. If you get an 508+, Im sure if you apply broadly and apply to DO schools, you will get one for sure. Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OP has 0 chance at Canadian schools. That sGPA is lethal for an international. Need to crush MCAT or take some upper level science courses to raise it more, at least a 3.2. Then apply DO.

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new here. I am thinking of applying this year and doing my mcat late may. Im aiming for an 506-508

i know that being in a specific state matters but as a canadian, what are competitive stats.

I finished my undergrad with a 3.28 cGPA and 3.08 sGPA. I am applying the minute i get my MCAT marks.

Thanks

EDIT: I know this ismt much, but the reason my GPA is so low is because of my first 2 years. My recent 2 years are a 3.97 and 3.85. Does that even matter?

Your GPA is too low for US schools. Your last 2 years might get you past the cut-off for Western. IDK if other Canadian schools do what western does with the grades cutoffs. The cutoff last year was Bio 128, Phys 126, CARS 129. The three categories added together needed to be greater than 383.
There are US schools that do a 32 credit hr thing. You can search on SDN for the thread. From what I remember, most of the schools on that list were not Canadian-friendly.

Your Gpa is barely passing cut off. If you get an 508+, Im sure if you apply broadly and apply to Canadian schools, you will get one for sure. Good luck.

The average Canadian (non-US) matriculant to US was ~3.74 and 512. https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf

For DO schools, he has a shot no?
I mean if he has an upward trend, his last 2 years are high.

This is not DO only schools. International is high because of the MD and DO schools combined. This table isn't a good representation.
the chart is for MD.

DO probably also has stats somewhere. I'm not familiar with the system though.
For a DO, the 508 might be ok. But he probably still needs sGPA>3.08.

My point was that if he actually does well on the MCAT, he still has a shot at Canadian MD schools, so he should focus on doing REALLY well on the MCAT, and not on a "target" score like 508.

[Edit] Here's MSU's stats for everyone: Profile of a Successful MSUCOM Applicant - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University
Since they have a bigger group relative to other schools (I think), I thought it might be fair representation. Looks like the avg is 3.5-3.7 GPA, 505-507 MCAT.

Last edited:
OP is completely screwed for Canadian schools with that GPA. Some schools have average matriculant GPA's >3.9. I got into a DO school as a Canadian with a 509 MCAT but I also had a 3.45 GPA. I think that sGPA might be killer.

Reactions: 1 user
You prolly should get a few more "Aye" grades to bolster yourself. Couldn't resist