surfguy84

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm an MS1, and while I recognize I still need to feel some things out, I've recently done some shadowing with an ortho surgeon and it looks amazing. I'm realllly interested in going this route...although I recognize how tough it is to get into.

As an MS1, what should I be doing to set myself for a successful ortho match? I'm doing well in my classes and learning the foundational material well...but I know there's probably more I should be doing for a very competitive field like this. Any advice?

scoKraz4

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
Being a competitive residency, I would say the best you can do is focus on Step 1 and maybe try to squeeze in some research if possible.

TwinsFan

7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Crush classes, kill step and start finding ortho docs to spend some time with and mentor you/do research with.

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're doing all you can now, which is doing well to understand your material and get decent grades.

Step 1 is going to play the greatest determinant that you can control.

As you said, it is really, really a hard field to get into.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm an MS1, and while I recognize I still need to feel some things out, I've recently done some shadowing with an ortho surgeon and it looks amazing. I'm realllly interested in going this route...although I recognize how tough it is to get into.

As an MS1, what should I be doing to set myself for a successful ortho match? I'm doing well in my classes and learning the foundational material well...but I know there's probably more I should be doing for a very competitive field like this. Any advice?
Get awesome scores on your Board examinations, get great LORs when you go on rotations and you should have a chance at Orthopedics, I would say apply to to AOA programs, I think MD Orthopedics will be very uphill as a DO if not impossible.

justDOit22

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Contact the guys from your school who have matched ortho and listen to their advice. Do not take advice from losers on this board, as they are unlikely to offer anything of value to you.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I think OP might be talking about AOA ortho, but sadly you are right he/she shouldn't count on ACGME ortho...
Being a 1st year means matching in 2019 which is no fun. Most programs should already be ACGME.