What sub-specialty would a neuropsychiatrist be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in high school, so I am obviously not remotely close to being involved.

The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology has a list of subspecialty exams, but I don't see one for neuropsychiatry, which is focused on mental disorders stemmed from disease and injury of the nervous system.

Which sub-specialty exam would neuropsychiatrists have to take?

Here is a link to ABPN's list of subspecialty exams:
http://www.abpn.com/become-certified/taking-a-subspecialty-exam/

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know if this helps or not, but the "neuropsychs" I know personally are not actually MDs but rather PhD neuro psychologists -- Perhaps not what you're asking?

Don't know if this helps or not, but the "neuropsychs" I know personally are not actually MDs but rather PhD neuro psychologists -- Perhaps not what you're asking?

Well, I know there are neuropsychologists, but I have recently heard of neuropsychiatry being a branch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand why the rule of no crossposting, and people only posting in the forum relevant to them, but my heart aches for this kid because I'm sure if they popped over to the psych forum those lovely ppl would have a great answer....

how does this work on SDN anyway?

OP - not a TOS violation to go read in the psych forum, I think even today there was a similar question thread on this. Lurk, and if you see some people that seem nice and knowledgable, you can PM them for more info, and let them know you PM'd cuz you didn't want to get in trouble on the open forum but no one here could answer you

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if this helps, but I took a seminar on clinical neuropsychology in undergrad and our professor was a PhD, not MD.

Yup. UCNS has their own board certification exams. Keep in mind that neuropsychiatry is not an ACGME-certified subspecialty because it's quite new compared to many others, but still a lot of Ivory Tower programs (MGH, Stanford, etc.) have neuropsych fellowships. They're open to both neurology and psychiatry residents.

Neuropsych is an emerging specialty. I wouldn't call it a subspecialty, as it is more broad than neuro or psych in many ways, and does not have a particular subpopulation it specifically caters to (it is more of a research-oriented field at the moment). There are combined neuro/psych residencies, as well as non-ACGME accredited fellowships in the field. Because it is not a recognized specialty, if you don't go the dual residency or combined residency route, you really don't need to take a board exam, aside from your neuro or psych boards.

Neuropsych is an emerging specialty. I wouldn't call it a subspecialty, as it is more broad than neuro or psych in many ways, and does not have a particular subpopulation it specifically caters to (it is more of a research-oriented field at the moment). There are combined neuro/psych residencies, as well as non-ACGME accredited fellowships in the field. Because it is not a recognized specialty, if you don't go the dual residency or combined residency route, you really don't need to take a board exam, aside from your neuro or psych boards.

but if it's not accredited and doesn't lead to a certification..........?????? WHAT'S THE POINT?? :arghh:

but if it's not accredited and doesn't lead to a certification..........?????? WHAT'S THE POINT?? :arghh:
Psych may as well be fake medicine to a lot of people. Neuropsych is like, double fake medicine. I kind of hope my interest in it pans out so I can be a triple fake doctor.

Reactions: 2 users

Yup. UCNS has their own board certification exams. Keep in mind that neuropsychiatry is not an ACGME-certified subspecialty because it's quite new compared to many others, but still a lot of Ivory Tower programs (MGH, Stanford, etc.) have neuropsych fellowships. They're open to both neurology and psychiatry residents.

Thanks!

And thank you to everyone else who replied. I really appreciate it :)

Psych may as well be fake medicine to a lot of people. Neuropsych is like, double fake medicine. I kind of hope my interest in it pans out so I can be a triple fake doctor.

Triple fake doctor of bone wizardry, magical brews, and mind control??? :love:

Reactions: 1 users
A high schooler inquiring about a fellowship, now I've seen everything. Worry about starting undergrad first.