What surgical specialty has the lowest overhead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkedoutriffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one were to be a surgeon and try to build a private surgery center, which surgical specialty would have the lowest overhead?

Members don't see this ad.

You list yourself as a medical student and already want to open a surgery center?

Ambition- who needs med school, residency, and board certification. Just cut to the Benjamins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just trying to look at possible practice scenarios. I was looking at these guys:

http://www.surgerycenterok.com/

and was really attracted to their upfront discount pricing, no insurance, direct care model. I just wanted to see which surgical specialties might make such a practice model more feasible.

Ambition- who needs med school, residency, and board certification. Just cut to the Benjamins.

mini-hamiltons.jpg

Lowest overhead might not be the best business model. For my program, I think varicose veins are one of the most lucrative things we do, but it requires a healthy six-figure investment in all the laser/ultrasound equipment.

Any procedures that can be done under local anesthetic +/- some light sedation are probably your best bet for quick turnaround, low overall cost to the patient, if you're looking at the cash model in Oklahoma. The anesthesia gets expensive. Varicose veins, lumps/bumps, carpal tunnels, some anorectal work, etc. can be done that way.

Anything requiring laparoscopy/arthroscopy is going to get more expensive. ENT might be an option, but you still need the FESS gear and a microscope for myringotomies. You'll probably get the most business by having a multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center.