What surgical specialty has the most physiology in it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medguy25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing Surgical Critical Care?
due to dealing with all the critical care medicine stuff of multi organ failure, trauma affecting multiple systems of the body and throwing everything off, inflammatory processes etc..., ventilation stuff

Maybe cardiac surgery?
by virtue of dealing with the heart, which is so intimately connected with the lungs, not to mention everything else, but esp the lungs (heart/lung physio stuff)

Transplant?

Neurosurgery?

Ortho?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that Urology would have quite a bit of physiology in it, as would perhaps Endocrine Surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for volume of physiology facts that must be memorized, it is general surgery. You have to know at least moderate critical care, as well as detailed endocrine physiology (including thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal and pancreatic), gastrointestinal physiology, some neurophysiology, vascular physiology, hepatic physiology, splenic physiology... basically everything. I am sure I did not list some things, but there is not much outside the realm of fair game for our inservice and board exams. :rolleyes:

Transplant by far.

In a perfect world, thoracic sympathectomy would involve a tremendous amount of physiology, as the thoracic sympathetic ganglia supply post-ganglionic innervation to the heart, lungs, thyroid, blood vessels, bone, immune structures, sweat glands, arrector pili, adipose tissue and much else.

In reality, ETS surgeons don't have a clue what the sympathetic ganglia do, and they don't care. They just cut them out.

If you are interested, here is a physiology treatise on thoracic sympthectomy.

http://editthis.info/corposcindosis/Main_Page

Steven Lupo-Grossi