What textbooks should I hold onto? Selling MCAT books on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all of my textbooks from the past 4 years. I held onto them for the MCAT. Now, I'm ready to sell. Are there any that might be useful in med school, or should I sell them all? Anybody have any advice as to which seller to use (amazon, ebay, barnes and noble, etc)?

Also, I have EK, PR, Kaplan, and AAMC online practice tests. I'm selling these too. Am I allowed to post a link on SDN directing people where to go to buy my books?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With the exception of possibly a biochem or genetics book, none of them will be useful in medical school.

Start over in med school. Your undergrad books will be useless (unless you've bought some med school-level books on your own for some reason). Try Amazon, that's where I always go to buy, so I assume it's easy to sell. Also try your school's book store in the first weeks of the semester (if the book isn't too old) although they usually rip you off.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've sold all my old books on amazon. works very well.

I have all of my textbooks from the past 4 years. I held onto them for the MCAT. Now, I'm ready to sell. Are there any that might be useful in med school, or should I sell them all? Anybody have any advice as to which seller to use (amazon, ebay, barnes and noble, etc)?

Also, I have EK, PR, Kaplan, and AAMC online practice tests. I'm selling these too. Am I allowed to post a link on SDN directing people where to go to buy my books?

You can actually set up a forum with what you are selling here : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 .

I would love to take some of the review materials off your hands, feel free to send me a PM with the prices.

You can actually set up a forum with what you are selling here : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 .

I would love to take some of the review materials off your hands, feel free to send me a PM with the prices.
Anything from Kaplan that is a course material cannot be resold and therefore should not be placed as such on SDN. See this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7361616&postcount=5

I thought I'd jump in here to clarify in terms of SDN's TOS.

It is against the agreement that you signed upon enrolling in the course (either online or classroom) to sell any of the material that you were given. That means you definitely aren't allowed to sell your access to the material (online content), or the material (books, tests etc). Hope this clarifies things. Because the material is therefore copyright protected, its also against SDN's policies to solicit it here. I'm going to close this thread now, so if anyone has any other questions about this issue, please PM me personally.

Cheers,
V

i think that half.com is more effective than amazon for selling books

You bought it, so it's your property. I can't see how they can regulate your resale of such books.

I'll jump in and explain what you are, and are not allowed to re-sell.

Although we have a classifieds forums section where you are free to advertise materials that you are legally allowed to re-sell under copyright law (ex. original copies of textbooks), you are not allowed to sell online access to materials. This includes the online AAMC practice tests and online access to Kaplan/Princeton (or other) materials.

A general rule of thumb is:

you are allowed to sell hardcopy materials of whatever you have, but you are not allowed to sell online acces to materials you have.

This means you are allowed to sell ONLY AAMC original, paper, hardcopy versions of practice exams. The re-sell of access to "AAMC e-exams" is strictly forbidden. Accordingly, you are allowed to sell original copies of whatever else you might have bought from the bookstore or online.

There is one BIG exception to the general rule of thumb here:

You should note that the user agreement you signed if you enrolled in a Kaplan or Princeton exam prep course (online or classroom) forbids you from selling both the hardcopy materials and online materials that came specifically for use in the course. Therefore, SDN does not allow selling of exam prep course materials, whether hardcopy or online, on SDN.

In contrast, you are allowed to sell the books that you might have bought from your local bookstore such as "Kaplan Premiere Program" and "Princeton Cracking the CBT"; because those materials were not bought specifically for use with a course, they are fine for re-sell.

If you guys have any more questions, please feel free to PM me or any other mod about this and we'll let you know if it's "OK" or not. Thanks for taking the time to ask though.

-Vihsadas

Thanks for the input. I didn't take a prep class. All I have are the books that you can buy in a bookstore (1001 Qs by EK, other EK books, PR and Kaplan books).

I have to check and see what I paid for them. Then, I'll let you all know how to buy them. They are all like new (I refuse to write in any textbook that I buy).

FYI, for the AAMC practice tests, I'd recommend that you find a group of pre-meds and each buy one. Then, share them. It's insane to pay $40 for a 5 hour test. Instead, pay $40 for 10 tests by sharing with friends. *Not admitting that I did this, BUT it works very well.

If you liked a text for a subject that you know you'll see in med school keep the text. I kept my physio and biochem books (lehninger and guyton/hall) that I loved and they work fine.

Some of the recommended or required books here are even what kids have had required at their undergrad, you never know.

Umm, are you in high school? And looking to buy MCAT review materials?

And you already have your undergrad chosen, med school, residency AND fellowship? wwwoooowww

Have you been accepted to the undergrad yet?