What the F is up with Texas!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking on here for some time now and am currently struggling through my second application cycle. Today was apparent match day in Texas and I see all the commotion on the Texas school specific-threads etc. I cannot tell you how absolutely SICK it makes me to some of most disgusting stats that seem to be just waltzing in the doors of just about any school in that state. Meanwhile, I'm here busting my butt in every way possible: stellar grades, stellar MCAT, beast ECs & research, and I'm lucky to get into a middle tier school. This whole system is so ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet that half the Texas applicants would stand NO chance in any out-of-state school whatsoever. This makes me sick. :thumbdown:

Bring on the arguments too!-let's hear whatever definable "reasons" there may be for this...

Members don't see this ad.

Someone's mad that they don't live in Texas :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Move to Texas or quit your crying.

Texas still kind of considers itself its own country. lol ...and it takes care of its own.

When you order waffes in Texas, they come in the shape of the state.

Oh Hell.no you did not just degrade my acceptance. Wait.
Don't hate if you can't get in. And I know u ain't talking bout my stats.

(Good luck tho)

Texas still kind of considers itself its own country. lol ...and it takes care of its own.

When you order waffes in Texas, they come in the shape of the state.

JkjEkei.jpg

Texas is awesome

/thread

Virginia is kind of cool to its in state people too. 3 schools (not counting Tech which doesn't care), all with about 50% of the class coming from VA. Would prefer to be from Ohio, with all those different schools, but nothing I can do about it.

Oh Hell.no you did not just degrade my acceptance. Wait.
Don't hate if you can't get in. And I know u ain't talking bout my stats.

(Good luck tho)

I don't know your stats so, no, Im not talking about you (but I likely am). Med students in Texas would probably get simply murdered in any other curricula.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know your stats so, no, Im not talking about you (but I likely am). Med students in Texas would probably get simply murdered in any other curricula.

What an idiotic statement. Look up the entrance stats for any Texas medical school and you will see that they are on par with the rest of the nation. In fact, Texas has 2 of the most competitive medical schools in the nation with Baylor and UT Southwestern as well as the largest medical center in the world in Houston. And if you're as awesome as you think you are, then Baylor would have welcomed you if you applied there as they don't participate in the match and are not obligated to accept Texas residents.

And secondly, basically all medical school curricula in the nation are the same. Having a higher class MCAT average doesn't mean the school is more difficult in any way. Plus, you're a pre-med so you don't even know what the medical school curricula are like. You're speaking out of pure ignorance. If you go to any of the Texas medical schools you will get a top-notch education.

And it took me 2 applications + a 3rd that I almost submitted before I finally did get accepted, and I never complained like this.

If your attitude here is at all indicative of your actual attitude in reality, I can see why nobody will take you.

I've been lurking on here for some time now and am currently struggling through my second application cycle. Today was apparent match day in Texas and I see all the commotion on the Texas school specific-threads etc. I cannot tell you how absolutely SICK it makes me to some of most disgusting stats that seem to be just waltzing in the doors of just about any school in that state. Meanwhile, I'm here busting my butt in every way possible: stellar grades, stellar MCAT, beast ECs & research, and I'm lucky to get into a middle tier school. This whole system is so ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet that half the Texas applicants would stand NO chance in any out-of-state school whatsoever. This makes me sick. :thumbdown:

Bring on the arguments too!-let's hear whatever definable "reasons" there may be for this...

This is all I read: "Hurr durr, I'm a dimwit so I blame Texas"

Any school that admits you is making a mistake.

Last edited:

The acceptance rate for Texas applicants last year was 41.8% (1560/3733), per AMCAS, which was below the national average of 43.1% (19517/45266). Also, the average MCAT/GPA for Texas matriculants was 31.0/3.65, compared to a national average of 31.2/3.63. Based on these numbers alone, it's hard to believe that Texas schools are admitting tons of low-stat M.D. candidates.

The acceptance rate for Texas applicants last year was 41.8% (1560/3733), per AMCAS, which was below the national average of 43.1% (19517/45266). Also, the average MCAT/GPA for Texas matriculants was 31.0/3.65, compared to a national average of 31.2/3.63. Based on these numbers alone, it's hard to believe that Texas schools are admitting tons of low-stat M.D. candidates.

Why are you justifying this bitter, self-entitled crap with a legit response?

Beast ECs, GPA, and MCAT scores?? Hmm.. maybe you need to work on your personality then. I love Texas simply because whiny entitled brats won't be my classmates. Well, I also love it because the state knows how to take care of its own and not make us graduate in drowning debt.

I got quite a number of interviews and acceptances at out-of-state schools, including a couple that are considered pretty competitive.

Best of luck to you though.

It should be noted that all me ex'es live in texas, that's why I make my home in tennessee

Reactions: 1 users
Texas for the win. (No I don't live in Texas).

Good evidence, but I have a question.

Doesn't Texas have its own application service that is not related to AMCAS? So taking AMCAS stats are more about Texas students applying as OOS. I don't know how TMDSAS works though, so this could be flawed.

Edit:
According to TMDSAS, average matriculant GPA was 3.65 and MCAT was 29.9

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/Final Statistics Report-EY11-Medical.pdf

Edit #3: Fixed to reflect matriculants instead of applicants.

Last edited:

Admissions is more than stats but even then people in Texas are not "waltzing" into medical school.

The acceptance rate for Texas applicants is 41.7% which is lower than the national average of 43.1% (The oh so horrible California is 42.6%) And before you say more of these Texas applicants are getting in with lower stats, here are the numbers: Average Matriculant: 31.2/3.68 vs. Average Texas Matriculant: 31.0/3.7

The only thing you should be jealous about with regards to Texas residency is all those people that get to pay the super low instate tuition.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/

Edit: hizziaips beat me to it, thats what I get for eating a cupcake while looking up the stats.

Last edited:

Doesn't Texas have its own application service that is not related to AMCAS? So taking AMCAS stats are more about Texas students applying as OOS. I don't know how TMDSAS works though, so this could be flawed.

Edit:
According to TMDSAS, average matriculant GPA was 3.51 and MCAT was 28

So they average about the same as D.O. matriculants.

You're quoting applicant statistics as opposed to matriculant statistics. Moreover, these numbers are from 2011.

Edit: Forgot to respond to your other point. I assume that the AMCAS stats are complete and correct, given that there's no disclaimer to the contrary w.r.t. Texas applicants/matriculants, but I could be wrong. Also, I'd expect the numbers at in-state schools (to which the TMDSAS figures refer) to be lower than the aggregate numbers. Some Texas residents undoubtedly matriculate elsewhere, and the statistics for that group are probably higher.

Last edited:

Edit:

Edit 2: These are APPLICANTS, please ignore this post for now.

Good question, but those statistics include TCOM which is..................................................................................................wait for it.....................................................a DO school.

This is still fun though.

Why are you justifying this bitter, self-entitled crap with a legit response?

Wow that's incredibly caustic (if you know what that means). I think I have every right to be upset with a process that is systematically excluding top talent. Don't give me any crap about taking care of their own either. That's simply trying to justify what I've already stated without refuting it.

Also, the Texas doctor factories you guys call medical schools not nearly as high caliber at you all (not ya'll) would claim.

And finally, the great doctors in Texas usually come from elsewhere.

It's about this time in the cycle when we see frustration starting to boil over.

You're right, I guess I can't blame OP. The cycle is very frustrating at times. I might be just like OP if I didn't get into my top choice already :)

Edit:

https://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/Final Statistics Report-EY11-Medical.pdf

That's that 2011 stats.

Matriculated: 36.0%
Avg MCAT 29.9, GPA 3.65

Someone down there posted more updated stats

Wow that's incredibly caustic (if you know what that means). I think I have every right to be upset with a process that is systematically excluding top talent. Don't give me any crap about taking care of their own either. That's simply trying to justify what I've already stated without refuting it.

Also, the Texas doctor factories you guys call medical schools not nearly as high caliber at you all (not ya'll) would claim.

So, where are you getting this plethora of information from? Please tell us since nobody else seems to know any of this but you.

Aw, now you're just being mean.

So you are top talent? Based on what? Maybe you aren't as great as you think you are?:confused:

And you should give Texas schools more credit. I liked UTSW and Baylor more than any other top 20 school I interviewed at. There is no way you can tell people graduating from there aren't getting top tier educations. Even the "lower tier" texas schools pump out some exceptional physicians (check out match list if you don't believe me). I don't see how you can even begin to hate on them considering you have zero experience with them.

Uhhhhhh... what?

My roommate's dad went from that aggie doctor factory to an ophthalmology residency at Mayo. Too bad no one told him he was getting an inferior medical education :D

If you don't like it move to Texas.

/thread

That last post of OP screams "troll" ;)

I'm not from Texas, but I know y'all that are from there are pretty cool people. Flew to Houston over the fall, and loved it. Food was especially yummy!

I wonder if OP did get into a Texas school(hypothetically, lets say they waiver an out of state applicant!), how'd he feel when he finds out that all of his Texan classmates are highly motivated, intelligent people. And the attendings are *gasp* from Texas and pretty good at their job.

i would love to have the opportunity to have you as a medical student....

So what exactly are your stellar stats OP?

Texas ftw. :cool: