What the heck does 13-15 mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enkindu

one hand clapping
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been driving me nuts ever since last April, so please indulge me for a moment. My scores were V: 13-15 P: 12 B: 11. Every person I meet who is even remotely familiar with the med school application process asks me what my MCAT score was...so what is it? 36,37,or 38? Anyone know the official way to report this score? Thanks in advance- Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Enkindu
This has been driving me nuts ever since last April, so please indulge me for a moment. My scores were V: 13-15 P: 12 B: 11. Every person I meet who is even remotely familiar with the med school application process asks me what my MCAT score was...so what is it? 36,37,or 38? Anyone know the official way to report this score? Thanks in advance- Cheers!

....:rolleyes: if you are smart enough to get those scores I am SURE you know how to score yourself (be it 36, 37, 38...or 749283).

It's odd how this "problem" of yours has been driving you crazy SINCE LAST APRIL...wish I had this problem.

I am bitter, can you tell?+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Actually it means you got a 21. Sometimes people do so badly on verbal that the MCAT peeps, being politically correct and all, don't want to make it that obvious on the report. Apparently you earned a -2 on the verbal section, and they report that as 13-15 (which equals -2).

Good luck on your next attempt!

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Actually it means you got a 21. Sometimes people do so badly on verbal that the MCAT peeps, being politically correct and all, don't want to make it that obvious on the report. Apparently you earned a -2 on the verbal section, and they report that as 13-15 (which equals -2).

Good luck on your next attempt!

:rolleyes: Fenrezz! :rolleyes:

The 13-15 score was due to the fact that they couldn't statistically distinguish among the scores 13, 14, & 15 so they grouped them together. I believe that they were stating total scores as 36-38.

The changes on the upcoming test's verbal section are supposed to put an end to this statistical problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually the fact that you don't know what 13-15 means shows all of us that you have tons of book smarts but zero common sense. If i were you i would wait till you go to an interview and ask the panel what it means. They would be more than happy to explain it to you while they show you to the door!!

Actually the fact that you don't know what 13-15 means shows all of us that you have tons of book smarts but zero common sense. If i were you i would wait till you go to an interview and ask the panel what it means. They would be more than happy to explain it to you while they show you to the door!!

Actually I discussed this during one of my interviews at UVA. Everyone knows about the statistical reason for the score being reported as a range. I just think it's a bit unwieldy to report a score as a range, and it always requires an explanation for the uninitiated. My interviewer agreed. Boy, I hope I can make it through med school without any common sense!

Thanks again for your friendly and useful comments!

:) Have a Nice Day!

I thought my tone would be a bit clearer when I started this thread. I basically wanted to know what the consensus was for reporting this score. A three point range is huge when you're looking at the MCAT and I wanted to be fair to others and myself when referring to my score. I was moved to post on this issue when I was entering data into the MD applicants website. This seems like a great resource for people trying to evaluate their chances at various schools and I wanted to contribute. Unfortunately they don't offer a "13-15" option for the verbal score. Because they are going to correct the statistical problem that generates this score, I thought there might be an agreed-upon number that would lend consistency to comparisons in the future. I'm sorry if the post seemed like tooting my own horn...if it makes you feel better my BCMP GPA is 3.10 and my overall is 3.13 (I was a bad, bad, terrible undergrad for a couple years). Hope this clarifies my original intentions.

Anyone taking the MCAT in April: I wish you the best of luck...you CAN do it, and do it well.

:) Cheers

anyone who uses the phrase " toot my own horn" deserves a good bashing

anyone who uses the phrase " toot my own horn" deserves a good bashing

I agree it is a ridiculous expression- I was trying to use language that wouldn't confuse or offend the critics I was addressing. If you prefer, please substitute the phrase "arrogant a$$h*le."

Enkindu, anyone with half of a functioning brain can see that your only motivation for posting was to pretentiously wave around a high MCAT score. That you do this behind a humble facade confirms this fact. Not a very nice thing to do 5 weeks before the test! Of all the common sensical routes to ask a question, you could have quite simply asked what the case with 13-15 is in the general sense, and received many more meaningful replies. Not slamming on you, just some advice on communication psychology within certain specific contexts.

I had a simple question. If you knew me at all you would know how little I care about my score ( for god's sake it was a miracle I got in to med school at all). Whatever. I won't waste anymore of your time or my time with SDN. Good luck. Whatever.

I had a simple question. If you knew me at all you would know how little I care about my score ( for god's sake it was a miracle I got in to med school at all). Whatever. I won't waste anymore of your time or my time with SDN. Good luck. Whatever.

:laugh: :laugh: sorry...but I have to laugh at the responses.
How the heck is it a miracle you got into medical school with a score like that (unless you have like a 1.9 gpa and no LOR's) or just a bad interviewing attitude)?

It's a miracle for someone with a 22 mcat to get in, not a freaking 37.

I should probably just let this thread die (I deeply regret ever starting it), but I think being laughed at and being told that I am pretentious and that I have no common sense require that I defend myself just a little. Have you ever considered the possibility that my original inquiry was genuine?

When I decided to apply to med school I was 33 years old. My undergrad GPA was 2.9. I hadn't taken a science course in 10 years. I was a manager at a fairly large company. When I came to realize that many of the employees at the company didn't understand their medical benefits and weren't getting care they needed, I got involved and eventually decided that I would try to become a doctor regardless of the sacrifices involved. I was told by many people that I was nuts. I quit my FT job and spent most of my savings on post-bacc classes, test prep, and eventually the application process. I got certified as an EMT and volunteered. I went from being financially secure to eating ramen noodles a lot in 6 months. I took the Kaplan class (which I recommend) and got a 28 on the first diagnostic.

The premed advisor where I did my post-bacc work told me I was completely wasting my time without a stellar MCAT score to balance the other negatives in my app. So I prepared rigorously for a year- put the test off in 2001 (wise decision, but opening the door for another year of semi-poverty in my 30's). I basically learned all of G-chem, O-chem, Physics, and Bio in a year. I busted my butt. And I did well because I had no other choice.

I hope you understand now that I am very, very far from pretentious. I am very grateful. I got interviews at 3 schools out of 12, and was lucky enough to get into two. Assuming I do a shorter residency I will be 41 when I'm actually finished- but I am still idealistic in my old age and hope I will be able to make a small contribution in medicine.

My position related to the MCAT is that it can be conquered with the right approach (check here for some ideas from myself and others) and I have spent many hours helping friends prepare for the test. I am genuinely sorry if the tone of my original post was obnoxious- I still maintain that I was looking only for information (which, by the way, I have never obtained). I was trying to be funny and harsh on the notion of a "range" score. Obviously, it didn't come through that way.

I am 35 and broke, and I can't wait to start school. If you look at the number of people who get in to med school with my GPA (3.13) it does seem like a miracle to me that I was accepted. If you look at the number of people with my age, GPA, and resume who get into med school, we practically do not exist.

I have never used a forum like this until now- this was one of the first threads I ever started. Obviously I have learned my lesson: go over every possible perception of your remarks in your head before you post. Do you think that some of you might not be so quick to assume the worst in people?

I sincerely hope you April MCATers crush the test.

Enkindu,
Dont let the critics bring you down. I understood your question and also commend you for your recent career change. It sounds like it was a move that required a great deal of courage.

I can tell you first-hand that this isn' t the first time that you will encounter a group of arrogant pricks in the medical field. Having said that, you'll also encounter some very genuine people who will be extremely helpful while you reach for your goals. Just stay focused on the positive...

Good luck with everything.

1) People are envious of your scores. I mean, who wouldn't be?
2) They also envy the fact that you are already in, when many of them are still waiting to hear. Again, who wouldn't be?
3) Envy can make even a nice person like me very nasty. :D
4) You seem like a decent person who's worked hard and sacrificed a significant amount to get where you are.

Congratulations, you deserve it! Don't let the sniping get to you--it's a bad time of year for many of us. And next time, don't tell us stuff that will generate envy unless you can counterbalance it with a sob story of some sort in the same post. :p :) Got it?

Enkindu,

I totally agree with Samoa, people are really jealous of your MCAT score (at least I know I am) and we tend to want to find "flaws" where there are none. Anyway, sorry about the previous poster's remarks.

It's awesome to hear your background and how you have persevered amidst so much that has been thrown at you, I respect and commend your determination to pursue medicine although it certainly has not been the easy road.

Anyway, I dont think anyone answered your previous question which was, what does the 13-15 range on verbal mean?

Well, it use to be that a 13-15 on the verbal section of the MCAT meant you have a perfect score. AAMC cannot distinguish between a 13, 14, or a 15 so they put a range. So your score really is a 36-38. :clap: However, this will change for the April 2003 MCAT where they will re-institute, the scores on Verbal to 13, 14, 15.
Again, totally awesome MCAT. I wish you well in Medical School, I know you will be a great Doc.:)

enigma, Samoa, Urkel-

Thanks for your kind words and good advice. :) :)

Thanks you guys for playing nice with the new kid on the block. :clap: :clap:

To the OP: do you still want me to do as you said in your email? I was waiting for this thread to receive some positive replies and didn't want to heed to your request because I **knew** that SDN would have more supportive folks. And they finally showed up!! :clap: :clap:

I personally am pretty jealous of your score (have a 7 in verbal :( ), but you're obviously worked extremely hard for it and deserve the good fortune you're getting. Congrats, good luck with med school and keep smiling!!!

Tweetie

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Can we say playa haters.

hey, we are not playa hating. We were just regulating.

For those who have been on SDN long enough, you should know that every once in a while a strange person shows up tooting their horn about their "high" score...and asking for help to see if they can get into school given their high stats...and we are like "gimme a break" already. Stop gloating/boasting.

Anyway Enkindu, it seemed like you were one of those people which is why we replied the way we did. You might not be gloating, but the way your post came across, it looked like you were just trying to show off your fancy high scores.
We are a bit paranoid I must say...but I guess that's the how SDN gets you.

Sorry to have jumped down your throat....

Originally posted by BushBaby
Anyway Enkindu, it seemed like you were one of those people which is why we replied the way we did. You might not be gloating, but the way your post came across, it looked like you were just trying to show off your fancy high scores.
We are a bit paranoid I must say...but I guess that's the how SDN gets you.

Sorry to have jumped down your throat....

In retrospect I see where you were coming from. Anyway, I've learned my lesson. Thank you to all for the kind words and good info.

By the way, be careful when using the expression "toot your own horn"... I've heard it can get you in trouble.

Care Bear- I pm'd you back. :)