What the hell just happened to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK this is ridiculous, in the last 15 minutes:

1. HOLD letter from UCLA
2. Tier 1 Waitlist from UPenn
3. Full-ride scholarship offer to UT-Memphis

This has been the biggest roller coaster of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I felt bad u were put on hold at UCLA when I read your post there but now it turned out you got a fullride to medical school. That is HUGEEEEEEE. Imagine u get out of med school with almost no loans (except u might need some money for living cost). That is just FREAKING AWSOME. CONGRAT MAN!!!!:thumbup:

1. HOLD letter from UCLA

damn. send somma that good luck down this way...

Congrats on the acceptance (and full-ride!!!!). Very niiiice.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
btw...would u pay to go to UCLA over a full ride at memphis?

1. HOLD letter from UCLA

Don't worry it will end soon. You have my sympathies, if you feel like you are slipping into clinical depression please seek out help immediately. Here's some contact info just in case:

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE
(1-800-784-2433)
LifeLine: 1-800-273-8255
Depression Hotline: 630-482-9696

Please make sure you have someone to talk to, and never lose hope ok? If you want I can organize an SDN support group for you, we can meet in a vBulletin chat and go over any issues on a weekly or biweekly basis.

1. HOLD letter from UCLA

I had an experience of getting into two schools within like 30 minutes of each other last year. Definitely a rush.

Congrats on the UT scholarship! I interviewed for that last year....it's a sweet deal. Oddly enough, one of my classmates actually got it last year and turned it down. I have a sneaking suspicion that she has some bling though...

now its UT (full-ride) vs. Vanderbilt

not an easy choice for me.

Congrats on the full ride! I would think that $$$ would make a *huge* difference in where you decide to go. Never underestimate the motivating power of debt...

Are you tellin' me you got all this info in like the last hour?

Wow.

That actually would be a tough choice, but a full ride is a full ride.

money talks, but money isn't everything either.

i would personally take the full ride offer...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take the money and run.

You're a fellow Rhodent aren't you?

good stuff QM. Full scholarships are probably the sweetest things.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I'm a soph right now. Congrats though! Jaslow must be proud :) I just realized today that he writes a letter for us.... now I gotta actually go talk to him so he knows who I am before I start racking up LORs this time next year. :scared:

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I'm a soph right now. Congrats though! Jaslow must be proud :) I just realized today that he writes a letter for us.... now I gotta actually go talk to him so he knows who I am before I start racking up LORs this time next year. :scared:

he just compiles the letters together. good luck.

Oh, I heard that he adds something to them though. Oh well. Thanks. Where else did you get accepted besides UT and Vandy?

Oh, I heard that he adds something to them though. Oh well. Thanks. Where else did you get accepted besides UT and Vandy?

nowhere. I seriously flew around this god damn country just so I could stay in this state. (if you can't tell I really want to move)

nowhere. I seriously flew around this god damn country just so I could stay in this state. (if you can't tell I really want to move)

No kidding. I'd like to go elsewhere but I guess I'll go wherever I can get in (if anywhere). I've lived in Memphis for 20 yrs.

As a person preparing to move.

No, you don't. :)

Of course, you probably don't have a house to sell and 4BR, 2.5 Baths worth of crap to haul either.

Again, congrats.

Congrats, Quantum. Well done. These are nice decisions to have to ponder...

As a person preparing to move.

No, you don't. :)

Of course, you probably don't have a house to sell and 4BR, 2.5 Baths worth of crap to haul either.

Again, congrats.

I have my body and some clothing...but no med school outside of TN wants me :(

I have my body and some clothing...but no med school outside of TN wants me :(

Trust me, there are plenty of people who will be happy to be at whichever TN school you decide you want least! (As a waitlister at UT, my vote goes to Vandy for you. :laugh: ) Oh, and congrats on all the success. :)

Trust me, there are plenty of people who will be happy to be at whichever TN school you decide you want least! (As a waitlister at UT, my vote goes to Vandy for you. :laugh: ) Oh, and congrats on all the success. :)

I'm leaning towards Vandy right now...

Congrats QM on the full-ride and Vandy! That's awesome :)

My apologies for UCLA...it would have been great to be classmates. But I know you'll be a great physician and you always have residency.

Congrats QM on the full-ride and Vandy! That's awesome :)

My apologies for UCLA...it would have been great to be classmates. But I know you'll be a great physician and you always have residency.

thx photogirl...I really wish UCLA had accepted me, I would have loved it there...

I really hope these schools will give me love for residency, but isn't that even more competitive than gettin into med school? :confused:

thx photogirl...I really wish UCLA had accepted me, I would have loved it there...

I really hope these schools will give me love for residency, but isn't that even more competitive than gettin into med school? :confused:

I guess residency comes down your board scores, your recommendations, and medical school experiences. So, make the most of your next four years and set yourself apart to be competitive for residency (kinda like pre-med all over :D Good Luck!

Who knows, we may bumb into each other somewhere in CA during interviews? :cool:

I guess residency comes down your board scores, your recommendations, and medical school experiences. So, make the most of your next four years and set yourself apart to be competitive for residency (kinda like pre-med all over :D Good Luck!

Who knows, we may bumb into each other somewhere in CA during interviews? :cool:

if med school applications taught me anything, its that trying your best, even with awesome stats will not get you where you really want to go. rejections from Baylor (de facto), Harvard (np and hst), Penn(waitlist), and UCLA (hold, de facto rejection) are my evidence.

I assume residency applications continue this bull$hit game even further...except its up to connections that you make in med school...thereby continuing this cycle of needing to attend more and more prestigious institutions to get to where you want to be, rather to where you can just slide into (which inevitably won't be where you want to live).

I really don't know why this process has made me so bitter, I used to be so idealistic about med school a few short months ago.

if med school applications taught me anything, its that trying your best, even with awesome stats will not get you where you really want to go. rejections from Baylor (de facto), Harvard (np and hst), Penn(waitlist), and UCLA (hold, de facto rejection) are my evidence.

I assume residency applications continue this bull$hit game even further...except its up to connections that you make in med school...thereby continuing this cycle of needing to attend more and more prestigious institutions to get to where you want to be, rather to where you can just slide into (which inevitably won't be where you want to live).

I really don't know why this process has made me so bitter, I used to be so idealistic about med school a few short months ago.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

It sucks that you couldn't get where you wanted to go, but you just got to be thankful you have what you have. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. 50% of applicants don't even have 1 school to go to next year. You're sitting on two golden tickets, a free-ride and an acceptance to a top school. Although they aren't top choices, they came with a lot of hard work. Revel in the fact that you have choices.

Not trying to sound like a d!ckhead, sorry if it came off that way. :(

It sucks that you couldn't get where you wanted to go, but you just got to be thankful you have what you have. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. 50% of applicants don't even have 1 school to go to next year. You're sitting on two golden tickets, a free-ride and an acceptance to a top school. Although they aren't top choices, they came with a lot of hard work. Revel in the fact that you have choices.

I just like to bitch...

especially when I spent about $2k on interviews at schools that didn't want me...

i hear ya man, but also be grateful that you still got into vandy, a top 20 school. i'm probably looking at 7-8 waitlists, baylor de facto rejection, ucla 3/22 rejection probably, north carolina who knows?

I just like to bitch...

especially when I spent about $2k on interviews at schools that didn't want me...

I liek to bitch a lot too...

could be worse... could have spent 2 grand and be sitting on 0 acceptances

How'd the Rhodes name hold up at the places you interviewed? Anyone outside the South ever even heard of it?

i hear ya man, but also be grateful that you still got into vandy, a top 20 school. i'm probably looking at 7-8 waitlists, baylor de facto rejection, ucla 3/22 rejection probably, north carolina who knows?

Its been so long since I've gotten excited about Vandy (august interview, october acceptance) that I haven't really thought about it.

ucla and baylor are bitches.

How'd the Rhodes name hold up at the places you interviewed? Anyone outside the South ever even heard of it?

I should've gone to Vanderbilt for undergrad...its name holds alot more clout (Harvard and UPenn don't give a **** that its a top LAC).

but if you just want to get in somewhere, Rhodes is sufficient.

I should've gone to Vanderbilt for undergrad...its name holds alot more clout (Harvard and UPenn don't give a **** that its a top LAC).

I couldn't afford Vandy =\ that's why I'm stuck here. Rhodes science dept's aren't that impressive.

Right now my goal is getting in anywhere... once I take MCAT and the score rolls around i might have loftier goals.

ok I'm gonna stop bitching and being bitter on SDN for today...its been a really stressful, long day for me.

1. HOLD letter from UCLA

That is a crazy 15 minutes!!! :clap: :hardy: :clap: on the full-ride to UT! and the acceptance to Vandy!

Exactly...I'd be glad to take that UT scholarship or Vandy acceptance off your hands! There's a ton of others here that would too!

Go have a beer or somethin'.

:)

Congrats on the full ride! That will be a hard choice...

No kidding. I'd like to go elsewhere but I guess I'll go wherever I can get in (if anywhere). I've lived in Memphis for 20 yrs.

LOL, i am beating a fast track out of Tennessee, and I live on the less-steamy, less-violent end of the state. sorry to hate on memphis, but i worked for the usda in jackson for 2 summers, and it was HELL.

Last edited:
Sorry about the waitlists, but congrats on the full scholarship!!!!! I wish I were you.

Well, my stats are very similar to yours, and I went to a very big name undergrad, and our end results are about the same, except I don't have some nice full ride to fall back on. So, don't be so down!

Ha, the Vandy name didn't do me a damn bit of good up north. Sorry you're stuck here in Tennessee, but congrats on the golden ticket to UT (not that either platitude means much to you I'm sure).

hahah...all in 15 min eh? Congrats on the free ride!

ucla and baylor are bitches.
I wouldn't give up on Baylor just yet. You never know when you might get the call. People who interviewed when you did in the past have gotten in really late, or even off the waitlist.

If I got at least 1/3 of vandy paid in grants I would go there... otherwise memphis. If you know you want an exclusive specialty, lean more towards vanderbilt. Will residencies care that you're on a full ride to memphis? or just the name? i'm guessing name.