What the most vicious pre-med you know like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some pre-meds are neurotic. But some are straight up vicious.

This happened to my friend once: My friend had to constantly miss class for a very important personal reason and this girl told her that she'll give her the notes before the midterm. A couple days before the test, she stopped replying to messages/phone calls completely. My friend found out from another person that she never intended to help. The girl just wanted to get ahead of the curve. Luckily someone I knew was in the same class so I was able to get my friend the notes.

What's the most vicious pre med you know like?

Ouch that's unfortunate. I don't know of any vicious premeds. A few daring ones I was with just shared notes and past exams with classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

My students seem to shed the gunner mindset as soon as they set foot on campus. They're very altruistic.

What about DO students? Are any of them gunners? ( I wonder if the "gunner" attitude leaves by the time people enter med school. Although, the DO crowd tends to be chill)

What the hell. Do people actually do this? And how did the students not know the answers were wrong ( surely someone realized it).
And that girl who tried to get ahead of the curve, what a bitch, honestly. Trying to "one up" someone in a vulnerable position.

Yeah, that is totally true. Medical schools ( MD and DO), more often than not, salivate at reinvention. A lot of MD and DO schools will take people with overall GPA's waaayy below the median, b/c of reinvention.

The more I see your posts,the more I feel like your school is nuts.
The girl was probably having an emotional breakdown. I can totally sympathize with being a wreck before orgo exams....
That second one is just hilarious :laugh:
You should have said " 4.0 ( or a 3.9 to seem imperfect) and 526" just to stress him out.
Haha, my UG is notorious for pre-meds and insanity! And dam, that would've been a great response to that oddball interviewing kid. Instead I just politely told him I wanted to keep that information private!

Its quite possible she was also having a mental breakdown, but she was consistently behaving this way (with men...did she think males would be more affected by her emotional instability than her female classmates...?) so I didn't find it suspicious and just attributed it to her being a gunner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an ex-friend who was cheating on a biology exam with a bunch of other people. It was my ex-friend's idea and he planned the whole strategy or whatever. They all got caught, but my ex-friend somehow managed to frame the other kids so that it seemed like he wasn't cheating. So basically he didn't get in trouble, but his friends all failed the class. they definitely should not have been cheating in the first place, but damn i thought that was really ****ty for him to do that to his buddies.

I also had another ex-friend who would take previous year's exams and change the answer key, then give it to his friends so that they would get the wrong info

there are also a lot of annoying premeds at my school. this one person i know always puts on her Instagram and Snapchat stuff like "studying for the MCAT!!! studying on friday nights is my favorite :)" and i'm like ??? lol other people would constantly ask me what my summer plans were and would only talk to me about premed related things...they would ignore me unless they thought i had something interesting to offer...

Last edited:
I just fart during curved exams and it has the same end-result. You have to time what you eat, and eat something with lots of beans and meat a few hours beforehand. Drops the mean by 10 points within a 20 foot radius.

You must have taken the MCAT in the same room as me.

Reactions: 1 user
Using the time clock to clock in and then leaving. Returning to clock out without really doing that job.

Doing course work in advance before the semester starts and/or using rough websites to get lecture slides and course materials in advance.

Using the time clock to clock in and then leaving. Returning to clock out without really doing that job.

Rouge websites that contain lecture slides and syllabi and doing course work in advance before the semester starts.

You're more just describing a general gunner rather than a vicious premed who sets his/her peers up for failure by actively or passively sabotaging them, in my opinion.

Also, the latter isn't really a bad idea for some of the absurdly hard upper-level courses that you might have to take.

I just remembered some of the things people at my SMP said because it was a cut-throat environment, and we were each other's direct competition for the limited seats of linkage to the MD program.

There was definitely a lot of intimidation, people would flaunt their MCAT scores in the high 30s, or when they did well on exams. I remember one girl saying "we have 4 days to study for the test, that's SOO much time!". People would try to schedule to be with the tutors for the whole semester, so nobody else could schedule with them. People would accuse each other of using drugs, and spread rumors. Lots of backstabbing. It was a year of psychological warfare and pure gunner-ism.

Last edited:
You're more just describing a general gunner rather than a vicious premed who sets his/her peers up for failure by actively or passively sabotaging them, in my opinion.

A gunner IS someone who sets his/her peers up for failure by actively or passively sabotaging them.

Somewhere along the line, kids started misappropriating the term to mean "someone who works hard".

A "gunner" is someone who would figuratively "gun you down" to get ahead.

A guy in my orgo I lab poured acid into everyone's water bottles and 12 people died.

I once saw a premed punch a baby in the face. It had glasses, so I guess he was trying to limit his competition 20 years down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a pre-med who I disagreed with often. Things got pretty heated and one day he said "I would bomb all of the poor households in America, they are a drain on society." Sad thing is it's 100% true and he got into a medical school that commonly works with/is surrounded by people from an economically disadvantaged area. He always talked about wanting to be a surgeon, but I wouldn't let him touch me if I was bleeding out on the floor.

I hope this is actually a lie :/
Oh it is. We would have seen on CNN..." deranged premed kills 21 fellow students: Should we have doctors?" (sure it was 12, but we can say 21 was a typo... right?)
Follow up article would read,"Doctors being killed in Chicago as protestors fight to protect their children" (That turns out to be a gang fight, and a doctor made a wrong turn... )
"Is your doctor killing you? See what are experts say." (Turns out to be a random guy in Montana that once applied to Med-school... and was rejected.)

Oh it is. We would have seen on CNN..." deranged premed kills 21 fellow students: Should we have doctors?" (sure it was 12, but we can say 21 was a typo... right?)
Follow up article would read,"Doctors being killed in Chicago as protestors fight to protect their children" (That turns out to be a gang fight, and a doctor made a wrong turn... )
"Is your doctor killing you? See what are experts say." (Turns out to be a random guy in Montana that once applied to Med-school... and was rejected.)
So most of these are lies/sarcasm. And I'm just gullible (or stupid... or both).

So most of these are lies/sarcasm.
Or just one was sarcasm, and it was expected to be obvious because a mass murder (or regular mass murders every other orgs lab) would have made headlines.

Or just one was sarcasm, and it was expected to be obvious because a mass murder (or regular mass murders every other orgs lab) would have made headlines.
Just... let me believe what's more comfortable.. :(

Reactions: 1 users
I knew a pre-med who I disagreed with often. Things got pretty heated and one day he said "I would bomb all of the poor households in America, they are a drain on society." Sad thing is it's 100% true and he got into a medical school that commonly works with/is surrounded by people from an economically disadvantaged area. He always talked about wanting to be a surgeon, but I wouldn't let him touch me if I was bleeding out on the floor.

That dude must be an amazing liar and the school that accepted him fell for his lies. What a tragedy.

Luckily people like him fail out of premed all the time (and I ended up doing much better than my wealthier peers).

It feels good to see some entitled ***holes get weeded out by orgo.

Last edited:
That dude must be an amazing liar and the school that accepted him fell for his lies. What a tragedy.

He really is a wonderful liar. I saw how he was able to manipulate some of our professors in undergrad. My heart breaks for all of the patients he may treat who won't receive the level of care they deserve because he deems them unworthy. Money never defines your worth, much as he would like to believe it. I hope that his time studying and working with these communities changes him.

[QUOTE="PiggyPug6, post: 18975624, member: 695088" My heart breaks for all of the patients he may treat who won't receive the level of care they deserve because he deems them unworthy. Money never defines your worth, much as he would like to believe it.[/QUOTE]
Very wise words! I see this at my job all the time. It's very sad, and very humiliating for those deemed poor, or unworthy.

I once gave terrible advice on SDN. Hear that person never made it to med school. (Score one for me, zero for SDN)

Lolol

She might not be able to go to a top-five school, but she can definitely still practice medicine if she's committed enough to it (and it looks like she is, by her improvement).
Top 5? She won't get into even a top 20 unless she has some extremely interesting backstory.

He really is a wonderful liar. I saw how he was able to manipulate some of our professors in undergrad. My heart breaks for all of the patients he may treat who won't receive the level of care they deserve because he deems them unworthy. Money never defines your worth, much as he would like to believe it. I hope that his time studying and working with these communities changes him.

Or he'll just do something super unethical and have his license pulled.

Top 5? She won't get into even a top 20 unless she has some extremely interesting backstory.
Why even respond to that, I think you missed the point of the post. It's not like he said "she'll probably have to settle for between 5 and 20 US News."

I'll contribute here. I had a semester where I had a lot going on, a death of my extended family, both of my parents getting cancer, etc. So it took a lot out of me just to keep up my grades.

I had this girl who was pre-med and president in a pre-health club message me saying how I should feel really dishonest if I listed the club on my resume, how I should be ashamed for not taking more responsibility, how she hopes I work on having more integrity in my career and professional life in the future, how my character was ****, and how I wouldn't be successful in life.

This was all due to me missing one club event the day after attending a funeral.

Reactions: 6 users
Why even respond to that, I think you missed the point of the post. It's not like he said "she'll probably have to settle for between 5 and 20 US News."
The funny thing is though, top schools love come from behind stories. There are stories of people going to top schools with compelling backstories tho. Thats what makes the point of the user you quoted even more hilarious.

I have a feeling that a lot of the gunner stories we hear are urban legends.

They're urban legends created by gunners to discourage others from becoming premeds.

I'll contribute here. I had a semester where I had a lot going on, a death of my extended family, both of my parents getting cancer, etc. So it took a lot out of me just to keep up my grades.

I had this girl who was pre-med and president in a pre-health club message me saying how I should feel really dishonest if I listed the club on my resume, how I should be ashamed for not taking more responsibility, how she hopes I work on having more integrity in my career and professional life in the future, how my character was ****, and how I wouldn't be successful in life.

This was all due to me missing one club event the day after attending a funeral.

I hope you ripped her a new one. The fact that no one stands up to these people in the vast majority of situations is why their complete douchiness goes unchecked.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you ripped her a new one. The fact that no one stands up to these people in the vast majority of situations is why their complete douchiness goes unchecked.
Yeah but at the same time you just want to move on because it's a student org and you got better things to do.

A member of one of my student orgs was real nice until he got the presidency and decided he wanted to be a condescending ***hole instead. So I messaged him about 8 hours in advance letting him know about my physical chemistry final and how I wouldn't be able to make it to some minor event, and he patronized me in the group chat for being unprofessional. I said thanks, yeah I guess I could see where he's coming from and left it. My exams were more important.

It doesn't get to me. He's into a business subfield and just got a job in Vegas. I'm sure by 50 he'll be one of the five VPs at a company that just baaaaarely scrapes the Fortune 500, and then he'll be limited at that point by his ego and lack of charm. And that's enough for me.

Yeah but at the same time you just want to move on because it's a student org and you got better things to do.

A member of one of my student orgs was real nice until he got the presidency and decided he wanted to be a condescending ***hole instead. So I messaged him about 8 hours in advance letting him know about my physical chemistry final and how I wouldn't be able to make it to some minor event, and he patronized me in the group chat for being unprofessional. I said thanks, yeah I guess I could see where he's coming from and left it. My exams were more important.

It doesn't get to me. He's into a business subfield and just got a job in Vegas. I'm sure by 50 he'll be one of the five VPs at a company that just baaaaarely scrapes the Fortune 500, and then he'll be limited at that point by his ego and lack of charm. And that's enough for me.
Savage.

She's doing her post-bacc here at CC (where I'm at). Retook the ones she got D's and F's on. Since it was long time ago, I think she retook all pre-reqs.
Got A's in them. She said herself that GPA isn't much improving (she has one course that she got multiple attempts on- I think one W, D and F..)
She started in 2015, in these 2 years, she's much improved and she reinvented herself through DIY postbacc. She initially started at 4 year uni (Cal State), but came to CC for a fin-aid/financial reasons.
Now that she's done with pre-reqs, she's looking into Masters for Biology. She mentioned Biotech too. But I'm pretty sure she's going for Biology.

Check this out: I did it! I got accepted!

It's doable...but I did good at my first attempt at pre-reqs. However, getting multiple D's, F's, and W's on liberal arts courses doesn't really help make a good impression either :)

I explained my situation and gave her a reality check on how she was taking an extra-curricular club too seriously. We ended up disagreeing about what was more important even after I gave an overview of my situation. At the time I thought it was in my best interest to keep a cool head and take the high road so that I wouldn't risk burning bridges with a LOR writer that I knew she'd run and tattle to like a 5th grader. Although it took all I had not to call her a laundry list of names and tell her how her lack of compassion and understanding will make her an awful doctor.

I wish nothing but the worst for her.

I explained my situation and gave her a reality check on how she was taking an extra-curricular club too seriously. We ended up disagreeing about what was more important even after I gave an overview of my situation. At the time I thought it was in my best interest to keep a cool head and take the high road so that I wouldn't risk burning bridges with a LOR writer that I knew she'd run and tattle to like a 5th grader. Although it took all I had not to call her a laundry list of names and tell her how her lack of compassion and understanding will make her an awful doctor.

I wish nothing but the worst for her.

Oh, you misunderstand. I don't mean lose your **** and cuss her out. I mean dress her down. You can do that and sound super professional. It just takes practice.

Oh, you misunderstand. I don't mean lose your **** and cuss her out. I mean dress her down. You can do that and sound super professional. It just takes practice.
Instead of telling someone they'll be a terrible doctor, you just politely suggest areas for improvement.
It's all so that they can succeed. Success just requires significant amounts of guilt and apologizing profusely.

A group of people had been annoying me for quite some time, so I confronted them and told them: "As a member of the Greek community and a part of one of these organizations this is highly offensive. Sororities make it their goal to give women a place to feel comfortable as well as better the community. Comparing specific houses to characters from a movie about bullying is absurd and beyond inaccurate. Making the claim that sororities are cliques is demeaning the sisterhood and values they are founded on. This clearly is a stab at a community on campus that does nothing but support the rest of the student body."

They never annoyed me again!

A group of people had been annoying me for quite some time, so I confronted them and told them: "As a member of the Greek community and a part of one of these organizations this is highly offensive. Sororities make it their goal to give women a place to feel comfortable as well as better the community. Comparing specific houses to characters from a movie about bullying is absurd and beyond inaccurate. Making the claim that sororities are cliques is demeaning the sisterhood and values they are founded on. This clearly is a stab at a community on campus that does nothing but support the rest of the student body."

They never annoyed me again!
Oh but there are plenty of things to dislike about Greek life even if the particular comparison they made was non-ideal. The ridiculous dues that make it a rich kid club, the exclusion of non Greek students to put it kindly, the difficulty minority students have rushing, and of course the copious amount of hazing

Instead of telling someone they'll be a terrible doctor, you just politely suggest areas for improvement.
It's all so that they can succeed. Success just requires significant amounts of guilt and apologizing profusely.

It has nothing to do with being a terrible doctor. It's about being a terrible person. People shouldn't act like that to each other regardless of profession, and if that **** is allowed to continue unchecked, she is just going to be the biggest douche canoe to everyone. A good "Come to Jesus" moment does wonders (and no, that isn't actually about religion, it's just what it's called).

It has nothing to do with being a terrible doctor. It's about being a terrible person. People shouldn't act like that to each other regardless of profession, and if that **** is allowed to continue unchecked, she is just going to be the biggest douche canoe to everyone. A good "Come to Jesus" moment does wonders (and no, that isn't actually about religion, it's just what it's called).
All that too.
I realize now that last post of mine makes me sounds slightly like a petty and vengeful sociopath :/

I have a friend who tried to sabotage my biology lab exam by tampering with one of the labels on one of the practical questions. So like there was an open chest of a fetal pig and there was a needle stuck in the liver and we were asked to name the organ the needle was stuck in. He moved the needle from the liver to the heart I guess to try to make everyone get the question wrong but was caught. He was fine at the end tho cuz he claimed it was a joke but oh well.

I suppose the Gunnery and sabotage is a natural result of the competition for limited resources #ConflictTheory. Which is ironic, since the end goal of working as a physician is very team based. Medical schools have tried to address this with pass/fail. I wonder if undergrad ever will. Probably not.

I suppose the Gunnery and sabotage is a natural result of the competition for limited resources #ConflictTheory. Which is ironic, since the end goal of working as a physician is very team based. Medical schools have tried to address this with pass/fail. I wonder if undergrad ever will. Probably not.
Yeah probably not, there's a vast vast difference in effort, mastery and ability between a C and an A lol

That's truly awful. If it's any consolation, in my experience the people who are the most vocally gung-ho about being a premed student (like it sounds this individual was) are often trying to overcompensate for a deficiency in grades/MCAT/etc. I've met more than a few for which that was the case.

Reactions: 3 users
That's truly awful. If it's any consolation, in my experience the people who are the most vocally gung-ho about being a premed student (like it sounds this individual was) are often trying to overcompensate for a deficiency in grades/MCAT/etc. I've met more than a few for which that was the case.
Definitely true in a lot of cases. The louder they are, the more likely they won't make it... at least it seems that way.

Definitely true in a lot of cases. The louder they are, the more likely they won't make it... at least it seems that way.
I wish that were true. But if the pattern doesn't hold true for leader of the free world, I suspect it doesn't for medical school admissions either.